Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why doesnt someone come out with a highly-relfective T-shirt foroutside Workmen ??

I moved to Florida and practically live in White T-shirts and
shorts ; the White T-shirts are far cooler than colored T-shirts ...
but why hasnt someone come up with reflective T-shirts ?? Im sure
Roofers, A/C repairmen, Landscapers, Boaters, and youre average
person ... would buy them up like crazy. I sure would. Have you run
across any such thing ? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 4:49*pm, " wrote:
I moved to Florida and practically live in White T-shirts and
shorts *; *the White T-shirts are far cooler than colored T-shirts ....
but why hasnt someone come up with reflective T-shirts ?? *Im sure
Roofers, A/C repairmen, *Landscapers, Boaters, and youre average
person ... would buy them up like crazy. I sure would. * Have you run
across any such thing ? * Thanks.

Any runner's or biking store will have an assortment of reflective
clothing, but I don't understand where you're coming from. Why would
a roofer need reflective clothing? He's not going to get hit by a
plane, right? Ditto with the AC repairman.

Instead of wearing reflective clothing all of the time (some people
don't want to light up like a Christmas tree), get one of the
reflective runner's sashes. Takes up no space, doesn't have to be
washed every day and they're cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:49 pm, " wrote:
I moved to Florida and practically live in White T-shirts and
shorts ; the White T-shirts are far cooler than colored T-shirts ...
but why hasnt someone come up with reflective T-shirts ?? Im sure
Roofers, A/C repairmen, Landscapers, Boaters, and youre average
person ... would buy them up like crazy. I sure would. Have you run
across any such thing ? Thanks.

Any runner's or biking store will have an assortment of reflective
clothing, but I don't understand where you're coming from. Why would
a roofer need reflective clothing? He's not going to get hit by a
plane, right? Ditto with the AC repairman.

Instead of wearing reflective clothing all of the time (some people
don't want to light up like a Christmas tree), get one of the
reflective runner's sashes. Takes up no space, doesn't have to be
washed every day and they're cheap.

He was talking reflective like a white roof versus a dark roof, to stay
cooler in bright sun. My black Tees stay in the drawer all summer-
noticably hotter to wear than light tan or light gray. I haven't got the
guts to go out in public in a white Tee, and it wouldn't be white after
the first day anyway.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 7:21*pm, aemeijers wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:49 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the translation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 5:39*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:49*pm, " wrote:

I moved to Florida and practically live in White T-shirts and
shorts *; *the White T-shirts are far cooler than colored T-shirts ....
but why hasnt someone come up with reflective T-shirts ?? *Im sure
Roofers, A/C repairmen, *Landscapers, Boaters, and youre average
person ... would buy them up like crazy. I sure would. * Have you run
across any such thing ? * Thanks.

Any runner's or biking store will have an assortment of reflective
clothing, but I don't understand where you're coming from. *Why would
a roofer need reflective clothing? *He's not going to get hit by a
plane, right? *Ditto with the AC repairman.

Instead of wearing reflective clothing all of the time (some people
don't want to light up like a Christmas tree), get one of the
reflective runner's sashes. *Takes up no space, doesn't have to be
washed every day and they're cheap.

The reason a Roofer would want a reflective t shirt is to reflect as
much sun off of him as possible thereby making him cooler ; not to
make him noticed .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 4:49*pm, " wrote:

[...]

I wasn't sure. There've been a few roofers over the years that I
wouldn't mind shooting!

As far as the shirts, the stuff about runner's and bikers still
applies. Coolmax fabric does a great job of wicking away sweat so you
feel drier than in a cotton shirt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My recent answer to this problem has been a fan and an extension
cord...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
I moved to Florida and practically live in White T-shirts and
shorts ; the White T-shirts are far cooler than colored T-shirts ...
but why hasnt someone come up with reflective T-shirts ?? Im sure
Roofers, A/C repairmen, Landscapers, Boaters, and youre average
person ... would buy them up like crazy. I sure would. Have you run
across any such thing ? Thanks.

You won't find much that will reflect as well and still pass air, as white
cotton. That has been traditional boating wear in sunny warm areas for
centuries. Anything silvery would get very hot, and anything applied to
the fabric would make it become like a sauna. A Cuban or Mexican style
white open-neck cut fabric shirt is actually cooler than a white T,
because it lets more air through, and doesn't hold sweat against the skin.
Too bad white is impossible to keep clean. I go with light tan myself, so
as to be able to go out in public at all. Coffee-stain tan also hides
lawnmower dust and dried-in sweat stains pretty well. :^/

--
aem sends...

then again, here's a new product which may be on topic

http://www.basegear.com/grangers-sun-shield.html

no connection to the makers. there's other similar products which do the
same thing. living in phoenix we need all the help we can get to avoid skin
cancer. it doesn't help with the heat, but it's 115F today and nothing does.

regards,
charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 15, 4:49*pm, " wrote:

[...]

they're also ridiculously expensive, unless you catch a sale. T-
shirts, well, I'm still appalled at the prices, but a good cotton T-
shirt still sells for about $5 or so as opposed to 5-10x that.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:49 pm, " wrote:
[...]

The most reflective metallic and metallic-colored objects absorb more
light than the whitest white ones. Metallic objects have another
disadvantage - they tend to be poor radiators of thermal infrared.

I would go with white as the best choice for thermal considerations.
However, I have found that when I wear white trousers, my bike chain likes
to jam or come off when I am in a hurry and somewhere I can't wash my
hands of the grease. If that does not happen, something else messy often
does.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 4:49*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Or buy them on eBay. You can pick up a Coolmax golf shirt for $15
including shipping. But I'm with you on not spending a lot on work
shirts as they get ratty pretty quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 4:49 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Coolmax does cost more but shouldn't. It's just polyester, probably with
a special finish. I suspect the garment makers rather than the fiber
maker is cashing in. When they first started marketing it, I could buy
Coolmax socks at Kmart for the same price as cotton socks. They were
great for wicking moisture and not bunching up and feeling clammy like
cotton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stop by a running store. Runners need that kind of garment
and the running stores have them Coolmax is the big name. It tends
to wick away the moisture and evaporate it far better than cotton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 6:49*pm, " wrote:
I moved to Florida and practically live in White T-shirts and
shorts *; *the White T-shirts are far cooler than colored T-shirts ....
but why hasnt someone come up with reflective T-shirts ?? *Im sure
Roofers, A/C repairmen, *Landscapers, Boaters, and youre average
person ... would buy them up like crazy. I sure would. * Have you run
across any such thing ? * Thanks.

Upon reflection that's absolutely brilliant suggestion!
And really throws some light upon the idea of increased safety while
working.
However there are civilian style reflective jackets/halters etc.
sometimes worn by joggers and pedestrian crossing guards and of course
the more official ones worn by police and rescue workers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stan wrote:
On Jul 15, 6:49 pm, " wrote:
I moved to Florida and practically live in White T-shirts and
shorts ; the White T-shirts are far cooler than colored T-shirts ...
but why hasnt someone come up with reflective T-shirts ?? Im sure
Roofers, A/C repairmen, Landscapers, Boaters, and youre average
person ... would buy them up like crazy. I sure would. Have you run
across any such thing ? Thanks.

Upon reflection that's absolutely brilliant suggestion!
And really throws some light upon the idea of increased safety while
working.
However there are civilian style reflective jackets/halters etc.
sometimes worn by joggers and pedestrian crossing guards and of course
the more official ones worn by police and rescue workers.

Why?

Because T-shirts are washed often and such washing would probably ruin
the reflective stuff over time.
There are already light weight reflective vests.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
stan wrote:
On Jul 15, 6:49 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Again, reflective shirts for tradesmen to wear in summer is to reduce
chances of heatstroke, not to be seen. Not many city buses up on a
roof, etc. Pretty much anyplace that sells Carhart (sp?) or similar
brands already has the tennis-ball-green (aka 'optic yellow) shirts and
vests and hoodies, with or without the Scotchlite reflective stripes on
them. Harbor Fright has the cheap Chinese knockoff versions. Insurance
companies have made those pretty much mandatory for people working out
in traffic, for several years now. My local grocery store even carries
them, and they seem to move well. I keep meaning to buy one of the vests
to keep in the car trunk, in case I ever have to change a flat at night
alongside the road again. (But with modern tires, and not going out at
night much any more, that is less likely with each passing year.)

Since tradesmen by definition get dirty daily, a $20 wicking tee-shirt
from the yuppie athletic supply store is not a real practical solution.
A $20 4-pack from Hanes or FoTL is more what they are looking for. For
outdoor workers that don't play in traffic, the old reliable white
cotton will rule for some time.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 4:28*am, aemeijers wrote:
LouB wrote:
stan wrote:
On Jul 15, 6:49 pm, " wrote:
[...]

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

Dear sir/lady,
Since 2004, Nodus79 Co.,LTD have established good relationship with
many customers all over the world. We sincerely thanks for the support
of you, so, based on the principle of small profits quick turnover, we
set up a wholesale module on our site, all the wholesale products are
direct selling at factory price. Such as
T shirt, only $4.09/pcs
Swimwear, only $4.91/pcs
Short, only $7.37/pcs
Polo shirt, only $5.73/pcs
(The prices above are for some of the items)
Brands including: Abercrombie & Fitch, Affliction, American eagle, Ed
Hardy, G-star, Hollister, Juicy, Lacoste, Paul Smith, Ralph lauren
Polo, Rock & Republic
At the same time, shipping charge has been lower adjusted. Welcome to
browse our website: www.noduds79.com.
Any question, please don’t not hesitate to contact me. Also warmly
welcome to our showroom.