Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are termites likely to get through the gravel at the bottom of a fencepost?

I set a 4x4 pressure treated post in a 3 foot deep hole with about 3
inches of leftover driveway gravel in the bottom and concrete all around
and up the post.

Are termites likely to find their way up
through that gravel and get to the post?

Do termites usually forage as deep as 3 feet in the ground?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I set a 4x4 pressure treated post in a 3 foot deep hole with about 3
inches of leftover driveway gravel in the bottom and concrete all around
and up the post.

Are termites likely to find their way up
through that gravel and get to the post?

They could but probably wont do damage to the PTL

Do termites usually forage as deep as 3 feet in the ground?

Yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
ShadowTek wrote:

I set a 4x4 pressure treated post in a 3 foot deep hole with about 3
inches of leftover driveway gravel in the bottom and concrete all around
and up the post.

Are termites likely to find their way up
through that gravel and get to the post?

Do termites usually forage as deep as 3 feet in the ground?

No, but Al-Qaeda is training paratrooper termites. You should cover the
top of the post with aluminum foil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:19*am, ShadowTek wrote:
I set a 4x4 pressure treated post in a 3 foot deep hole with about 3
inches of leftover driveway gravel in the bottom and concrete all around
and up the post.

Are termites likely to find their way up
through that gravel and get to the post?

Do termites usually forage as deep as 3 feet in the ground?

Yes, but pressure treated, there should be no problem. Termites will
also build tunnels to wood above ground so you do not even have to be
in direct contact with soil to get infested. I have pressure treated
wood in bare ground for many years without termite attack while they
were in untreated wood and neighbors house. Neighbors treatment
killed the colony.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On Jul 14, 12:19 am, ShadowTek wrote:
I set a 4x4 pressure treated post in a 3 foot deep hole with about 3
inches of leftover driveway gravel in the bottom and concrete all around
and up the post.

Are termites likely to find their way up
through that gravel and get to the post?

Do termites usually forage as deep as 3 feet in the ground?

Yes, but pressure treated, there should be no problem. Termites will
also build tunnels to wood above ground so you do not even have to be
in direct contact with soil to get infested. I have pressure treated
wood in bare ground for many years without termite attack while they
were in untreated wood and neighbors house. Neighbors treatment
killed the colony.

PT isn't magic potion - it delays, but does not prevent trmite damage.
Termite colonies can span hundreds of feet, so finding you wood post is
likely a matter of chance. Termites don't go through painted wood if
the coat of paint is intact; coating the post might ensure longer life.

termites coloradotrout Home Repair 27 March 21st 09 06:33 PM
Termites Ray K Home Repair 17 April 24th 07 04:04 AM
termites mo Home Repair 19 September 27th 06 04:27 AM
termites Todd Home Ownership 4 September 18th 03 08:02 AM
Termites Ben Siders Woodworking 7 August 8th 03 12:51 AM