Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extension Cord Repair Problem

I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark which end
was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the plug and socket
on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the electricity
flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a
mistake.
I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug
and the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark
which end was which before I cut off the ends.

Geez, just go to Big Lots and get them off the shelf. DIY has its
limits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark which end
was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the plug and socket
on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the electricity
flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!

You have to match the color of the electrons
to the color of the wire. If you force white
electrons into the black wire they have to
migrate across to the white wire and vice versa.
Whatever you do, never try to force black
electrons into the green wire, they'll become
horribly ill and there will be a violent
reaction. The friction caused by forcing black
and white electrons together is bad enough but
forcing the black electrons into the green wire
will lead to an explosive situation.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , DerbyDad03
wrote:

I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark which end
was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the plug and socket
on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the electricity
flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!

Your extension cord is now useless, but you've learned a valuable
lesson. It really doesn't matter which end is which, but you can't cut
both ends off at the same time. If you do that, *all* the electrons
escape from the wires. That's about 750 trillion electrons per
millimeter. For a fifty-foot extension cord, it would take about 25
years to refill the wire before you could expect a reasonable flow of
electricity. Sure, for now, you'll get enough of a trickle through there
to fire up a 4 watt nightlight, but that's about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:50*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark which end
was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the plug and socket
on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the electricity
flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!

You must be using this on DC current...it's used to going in the
opposite direction!
bob_v
Posted to alt.home.repair

Erik wrote:
In article , DerbyDad03
wrote:

I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark which end
was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the plug and socket
on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the electricity
flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!

PLONK...

Erik

Uhh Erik Maybe you should lighten up just a little.
Or buy some brains.
The piece was obvious humor and has already generated some fun responses.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Excellent response to a very perplexing problem:-))

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem is that you were holding the tester higher than
the electrical socket. It takes so, so much longer for the
cord to fill with electricity, if it has to flow up hill.
Try plugging in the plug end, and then lay on the floor and
test the socket end lower than the plug end.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made
a mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the
plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to
mark which end
was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the
receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the
electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the
plug and socket
on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the
electricity
flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:50:10 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark which end
was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the plug and socket
on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the electricity
flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!

Plug the cord in a south facing receptacle, obviously you are using a
north facing receptacle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in :

I was repairing an extension cord tonight and I think I made a
mistake.

I had to replace both ends because the cord was cut near the plug and
the receptacle was cracked. Unfortunately, I neglected to mark which
end was which before I cut off the ends.

I took a guess and put the plug on the left end and the receptacle on
the right.

When I tested it, it seemed to take a long time for the electricity to
travel the length of the cord, so I'm assuming I put the plug and
socket on the wrong ends.

Will the electrons in the wire eventually turn around so the
electricity flows faster or should I reverse the ends before using it?

Thanks!

Are you above the equator or below it. Makes a difference you know. What
you need is a box of Tracer electrons. Based on the concept of tracer
bullets. Not available at the Borg. Good electrical supply house is
where you need to go. They should come with a pair of those special
plastic colored glasses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 11:32*am, Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote :

[...]

plastic colored glasses.- Hide quoted text -

plastic colored glasses

What color is plastic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Inquiring minds(?) want to know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

DerbyDad03 wrote :

[...]

special plastic colored glasses.- Hide quoted text -

plastic colored glasses

What color is plastic?

42
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, silly. That's the answer to life, the universe, and
everything.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

plastic colored glasses

What color is plastic?

42

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:46:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

No, silly. That's the answer to life, the universe, and
everything.

What do you get when you multiply six by nine?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry L wrote in
:

wrote:

No, silly. That's the answer to life, the universe, and
everything.

What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Six what by nine what? Giraffes and hectoliters? Think that results in
fortnights per light year. Just an approximation though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A whole bunch of fours running around the house in diapers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

No, silly. That's the answer to life, the universe, and
everything.

What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your answer was better.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
Harry L wrote in
:

wrote:

No, silly. That's the answer to life, the universe, and
everything.

What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Six what by nine what? Giraffes and hectoliters? Think that
results in
fortnights per light year. Just an approximation though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 8:46*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
No, silly. That's the answer to life, the universe, and
everything.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Red Green" wrote in message

plastic colored glasses

What color is plastic?

42

Excel's Interior.ColorIndex value of 42 is a nasty looking blueish-
green.

Run this macro:

Sub UglyColor()
[A1].Interior.ColorIndex = 42