Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain vent

My current neighbor as well as previous owners of the house has had
trouble with intermittent drain problems in a bathroom. She and
prevvious owners have had plumbers come out and tell them there was a
venting problem and the fix would cost a couple of $k to fix. This
does not include restoring bathroom cosmetics. She had already spent
about $400 with no help. Since the plumbers had already exposed the
cleanout plug next to her bathroom I decide to see what would happen
if I connected a T to the cleaan out and run a vent pipe up the
outside of her house. Well its been a week and no problems with the
drain. She paid for the PVC parts and has agreed to watch my garden
and pets while we are away forever. New vent is on the same side of
the house with other utilities so appearance is not a problem. Can
anyone think of any problems this may cause.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Will probably work fine. Whether it's to code, probably not, but I
don't know.

Did the plumbers say whether that problem was that there was not vent
or that the vent was blocked. A blocked vent can sometimes be cleared
from the roof with a snake or similar means.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
Will probably work fine. Whether it's to code, probably not, but I
don't know.

Did the plumbers say whether that problem was that there was not vent
or that the vent was blocked. A blocked vent can sometimes be cleared
from the roof with a snake or similar means.

A couple $K to snake a vent???? Don't think so...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 4:52*pm, Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
Will probably work fine. Whether it's to code, probably not, but I
don't know.

Did the plumbers say whether that problem was that there was not vent
or that the vent was blocked. A blocked vent can sometimes be cleared
from the roof with a snake or similar means.

The vent was poorly designed per my neighbor per the plumbers. Vent
was shared with washer, tub toilet and lav. The tub and washer
attached very close to the vent and they work fine. The lav and toilet
are across the room. House is built on a slab. The toilet which gave
the most problem looks to be a couple of feet from the cleanout and
also now vent. The lave which is about 4 ft awy from the new vent but
I dont have a clue how it is actually connected in was also giving
some problems but appears to be working OK now.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:39:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

A couple $K to snake a vent???? Don't think so...

I've used a water hose ( NV) to ensure the vent was clear and not
blocked.

In Florida, it's a good idea to check for "spring frogs" that take up
residence in the vent during rainy season.

To vent or drain? Andrew Home Repair 3 December 19th 06 03:05 PM
Drain vent Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 September 6th 06 01:01 AM
A/C Drain into sink vent? bwalters Home Repair 1 July 15th 06 03:26 PM
A/C Drain into sink vent? bwalters Home Repair 0 July 14th 06 11:39 PM