Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathroom countertop

We're redoing the bathroom and will probably install new countertop. We are
leaning towards granite, but haven't made any decisions.

Countertop is 8 ft long, about 2.5 ft wide. Currently have marble with 2
sinks as part of the countertop. It is about 35 years old.

There seems to be a multitude of countertop material. Which material is
best to use for the bathroom? I will probably have someone do the install.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

trailer wrote:
We're redoing the bathroom and will probably install new countertop. We are
leaning towards granite, but haven't made any decisions.

Countertop is 8 ft long, about 2.5 ft wide. Currently have marble with 2
sinks as part of the countertop. It is about 35 years old.

There seems to be a multitude of countertop material. Which material is
best to use for the bathroom? I will probably have someone do the install.

Thanks

This will keep you busy for a while but I would google for some reviews.
Define "best"
Pretty? Durable? Safe? Less expensive? Help resale of house? easy
to clean?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

trailer wrote:
We're redoing the bathroom and will probably install new countertop.
We are leaning towards granite, but haven't made any decisions.

Countertop is 8 ft long, about 2.5 ft wide. Currently have marble
with 2 sinks as part of the countertop. It is about 35 years old.

There seems to be a multitude of countertop material. Which material
is best to use for the bathroom? I will probably have someone do the
install.

Thanks

You have a wide choice, all with pros and cons for bathrooom use:

Sheet Stainless Steel
Laminate
Quartz in resin
Glass chips in resin
Cultured marble
Marble
Corion and other solid surfaces
Concrete
Concrete with chips of various substances in it
Granite
Slate
Glass

I am sure that I missed a few. No one can tell you what is best for your
use, do a few hours of on-line research to learn about them all.

I am remodeling a bathroom. We went through various ideas and finally
settled on something we would have never considered when starting. We chose
a coloured glass countertop with a moulded sink in it. It was perfect for
our use. It provided maximum countertop surface and no seams nor joints and
simple and easy to keep clean. Other choices could have provided similar
features but this fit into our needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trailer wrote:
We're redoing the bathroom and will probably install new countertop.
We are leaning towards granite, but haven't made any decisions.

Countertop is 8 ft long, about 2.5 ft wide. Currently have marble
with 2 sinks as part of the countertop. It is about 35 years old.

There seems to be a multitude of countertop material. Which material
is best to use for the bathroom? I will probably have someone do the
install.

The problem with granite countertops in the bath is their height. As you're
standing there brushing your teeth, your testicles are soaking up the
incipient radioactivity emitted by granite.

Here's a NY Times article on the subject:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html

This is not an issue with kitchen countertops as they are about ten inches
higher and bother only breasts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:09:42 -0500, "trailer" wrote:

We're redoing the bathroom and will probably install new countertop. We are
leaning towards granite, but haven't made any decisions.

Countertop is 8 ft long, about 2.5 ft wide. Currently have marble with 2
sinks as part of the countertop. It is about 35 years old.

There seems to be a multitude of countertop material. Which material is
best to use for the bathroom? I will probably have someone do the install.

Thanks

Solid gold is nice. Tis a shame you do not like the marble as it is a
classic bathroom choice. Look for experienced installers. To each
his own, but I might select white oak for a bathroom countertop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
trailer wrote:
We're redoing the bathroom and will probably install new countertop.
We are leaning towards granite, but haven't made any decisions.

Countertop is 8 ft long, about 2.5 ft wide. Currently have marble
with 2 sinks as part of the countertop. It is about 35 years old.

There seems to be a multitude of countertop material. Which material
is best to use for the bathroom? I will probably have someone do the
install.

The problem with granite countertops in the bath is their height. As you're
standing there brushing your teeth, your testicles are soaking up the
incipient radioactivity emitted by granite.

Here's a NY Times article on the subject:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html

This is not an issue with kitchen countertops as they are about ten inches
higher and bother only breasts.

COOL! You won't need antibacterial spray cleaners.
One problem, the insect pests will probably mutate,
grow to six feet in length and eat you.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:36:07 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled "HeyBub" , to say:

your testicles are soaking up the
incipient radioactivity emitted by granite.

Main Entry: in·cip·i·ent

Function: adjective

: beginning to come into being or to become apparent an incipient solar system evidence of incipient racial tension
— in·cip·i·ent·ly adverb
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

countertop [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 16th 08 04:36 AM
countertop Wallace Jensen Woodworking 2 January 26th 08 05:57 PM
Using Countertop as workbench top [email protected] Woodworking 21 April 6th 06 12:22 AM
Granite Countertop MG Home Repair 7 September 13th 05 10:59 PM
countertop repair [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 19th 05 06:11 PM