Posted to alt.home.repair

Default In-between GFI

Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 3:11*pm, Pavel Grnifeld wrote:
Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

Most GFI outlets can protect all other outlets 'downstream' of them,
on that circuit.

So; either go back to a preceding outlet that is not too visible
(although you need to get at quickly to reset if it operates).

Or alternatively intercept the wiring before the outlets you wish to
protect and add an extra outlet there. Digging around and finding the
wiring and figuring out the details might take hour or two though.

Personally see nothing wrong with a neat and tidy GFI located where
it's easy to see and reach. Too many outlets are behind furniture etc.
And, since we use electrcity for so many purposes these days why hide
the functional part so it? Electricity is a willing servant and
nothing to be ashamed off!

BTW I had one older (black) duplex GFI that was not arranged to
protect outlets downstream. Not wishing to waste it I put it on the
end of one of our substantial extension cords. Thus can plug that cord
in anywhere in the house, poke the GFI end outside through a window
etc. and have GFI protection for using electric tools outside in
possibly damp conditions for garden tools, or while working on a
vehicle etc. More modern GFIs can downstream and if that older one
packs up will just replace it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel Grnifeld wrote:
Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

You can get GFCI extension cords. Will that solve your problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel Grnifeld" wrote in message
Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

It's a bit of work, but perfectly fine to install the gfci under the vanity
protecting a standard receptacle above the vanity. I'm not sure what you
dislike about the gfci receptacle, but newer models are available in solid
colors, unlike some of the older models with odd colored test and reset
buttons

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 1:59*pm, stan wrote:
[...]

Many years ago, before GFCI extension cords were readily available, I
put a GFCI receptacle in an exterior box and attached it to the end of
a 3 foot piece of exterior extension cord. I still take it with me
whenever I have to use power tools outside. Back then, you could never
be sure that a GFCI would be available in a garage or next to a
deck...these days I don't have to pull it out too often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 1:11*pm, Pavel Grnifeld wrote:
Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

"GFI breakers are sometimes just too far away (4 flights of
stairs)"

How often are you tripping your GFCI's?

Me thinks that if you are tripping them often enough to worry about
how far away the breaker is, something is amiss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel Grnifeld wrote:
Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

They do make a GFCI that mounts like an
outlet but has no outlet. It
can be mounted in a closet, under a
cabinet, etc. I put one in my last
house because one circuit in the kitchen
didn't have a GFCI and was
"required" by the buyers. It was
mounted in the basement below the
kitchen, actually very near the breaker
box. There wasn't any room
to put a GFCI breaker in the box as the
breaker for that circuit was a
half width breaker and the box was full.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jul 12, 9:13*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
Pavel Grnifeld wrote:
[...]

you can get the at heme dopo or lowees or whatever; i just did a
bunch of rewiring around my basement and retrofitted them in a bunch
of junction boxes up on the unfinished ceiling.

although, actually, the only advantages they offer over a gfci outlet
(which as everybody explained protects downstream) is that they're
rated at 20 amps, if you have a 20 amp circuit, and they're a couple
of bucks cheaper, unless the gfci outlets are on special.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel Grnifeld wrote:
Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit?

As has been stated, GFI outlets can protect downstream loads. Another
reason besides distance to the outlet is the likelihood of accidentally
hitting the test button and unnecessarily interrupting service downstream.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 6:51*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 12, 1:11*pm, Pavel Grnifeld wrote:

Hi,

There are GFI outlets and there are GFI breakers.

I happen not to like the way GFi outlets look and GFI breakers are
sometimes just too far away (4 flights of stairs). Is there an in-
between solution to GFI protect the circuit? For example, it would be
nice if the GFI device could go under the vanity?

Many thanks in advance.

Aaron

"GFI breakers are sometimes just too far away (4 flights of
stairs)"

How often are you tripping your GFCI's?

Me thinks that if you are tripping them often enough to worry about
how far away the breaker is, something is amiss.

In 8 years of home ownership, I never tripped one (except when
performing a test).