DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Treated lumber and Liquid Nail (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/282218-treated-lumber-liquid-nail.html)

Dan Listermann July 12th 09 04:29 PM

Treated lumber and Liquid Nail

I need to build a staircase from treated lumber and I would like to use
Liquid Nail along with the screws. Would I really have to let the lumber
totally dry first? If not, would it just be a waste of glue?

Jim Elbrecht July 12th 09 05:31 PM

"Dan Listermann" wrote:

I need to build a staircase from treated lumber and I would like to use
Liquid Nail along with the screws. Would I really have to let the lumber
totally dry first? If not, would it just be a waste of glue?

I think it would be a waste of time and glue. Use the right screws,
use decent lumber, fasten it securely. . . . and in 25 years you can
take it all apart and put it on the other side of the house.

Jim

HeyBub[_3_] July 12th 09 05:55 PM

Dan Listermann wrote:
I need to build a staircase from treated lumber and I would like to
use Liquid Nail along with the screws. Would I really have to let
the lumber totally dry first? If not, would it just be a waste of
glue?

As the lumber dries, it shrinks. Sometimes a lot. Bear that in mind inasmuch
as your 8' staircase may only reach seven feet in a month or two.

Stormin Mormon July 13th 09 03:03 AM

Treated lumber and Liquid Nail

My Dad had some wet pressure treated wood. The stairs were
supposed to be about 7 feet tall, and they made em out of
wet PT wood. When the wood dried, it shrank. Finally the
contractors couldn't understand the problem. Dad took the
shrunken stairs, and took em to the contractor, in a paper
grocery bag. Set em on the desk and pointed to em.

Yeah, let the wood dry first.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

SteveBell[_2_] July 13th 09 06:37 AM

Dan Listermann | 2009-07-12 | 10:29:00 AM wrote:

I need to build a staircase from treated lumber and I would like to
use Liquid Nail along with the screws. Would I really have to let
the lumber totally dry first? If not, would it just be a waste of
glue?

If you wait for the wood to dry, you'll be waiting at least six months.
And that's if you keep it indoors, stickered, and dry. Treated wood is
so wet that driving screws into it makes puddles.

Wood shrinks mostly across the grain as it dries. The boards get
noticeably narrower, but not much shorter.

As long as the wood is dry on the surface, the construction adhesive
will stick. There are lots of variations on the adhesive. I haven't
seen one specifically for decks, but I wouldn't be surprised to find
one. Read the labels, pick the one that sounds most like your
application, follow the directions, and you'll do OK. The screws are
going to do most of the work anyway.

Hint: Be sure to use the proper screws for your deck, else you'll get
stains on the wood and corroded screws.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Phisherman[_2_] July 13th 09 11:47 AM

Treated lumber and Liquid Nail

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:03:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My Dad had some wet pressure treated wood. The stairs were
supposed to be about 7 feet tall, and they made em out of
wet PT wood. When the wood dried, it shrank. Finally the
contractors couldn't understand the problem. Dad took the
shrunken stairs, and took em to the contractor, in a paper
grocery bag. Set em on the desk and pointed to em.

Yeah, let the wood dry first.

And allow it to split, warp, bow and twist.

SteveBell[_2_] July 13th 09 02:42 PM

Phisherman | 2009-07-13 | 5:47:16 AM wrote:

Yeah, let the wood dry first.

And allow it to split, warp, bow and twist.

Good point

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

JIMMIE July 13th 09 02:52 PM

On Jul 12, 11:29*am, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
I need to build a staircase from treated lumber and I would like to use
Liquid Nail along with the screws. *Would I really have to let the lumber
totally dry first? If not, would it just be a waste of glue?

Take the money you were going to spend on the glue and put it towards
stainless steel screws and bolts.

Jimmie

Dan Listermann July 13th 09 04:14 PM

Treated lumber and Liquid Nail

It looks like their sub floor adhesive will work.
http://www.liquidnails.com/products/...p?productId=45 It is supposed
to work on wet, frozen and treated wood.