Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky Vent Pipe

I noticed a water bubble on my bedroom ceiling, so I went in the attic
to investigate. It turns out a pipe that vents to the roof had become
disconnected at the first joint, so I just re-connected it. I assume
when it rained hard enough, rain water was leaking down the pipe and
on to the ceiling (we just had a hard rain).

But that got me thinking.. Even if the pipe didn't become
disconnected, should rain water still be leaking down the pipe?

Thanks,
Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

lagman wrote:
I noticed a water bubble on my bedroom ceiling, so I went in the attic
to investigate. It turns out a pipe that vents to the roof had become
disconnected at the first joint, so I just re-connected it. I assume
when it rained hard enough, rain water was leaking down the pipe and
on to the ceiling (we just had a hard rain).

But that got me thinking.. Even if the pipe didn't become
disconnected, should rain water still be leaking down the pipe?

Thanks,
Dan

down the inside, sure. But if it was running down the *outside* of the
pipe, you probably need new flashing.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

lagman wrote:
I noticed a water bubble on my bedroom ceiling, so I went in the attic
to investigate. It turns out a pipe that vents to the roof had become
disconnected at the first joint, so I just re-connected it. I assume
when it rained hard enough, rain water was leaking down the pipe and
on to the ceiling (we just had a hard rain).

But that got me thinking.. Even if the pipe didn't become
disconnected, should rain water still be leaking down the pipe?

Thanks,
Dan

Why not? The pipe is typically square cut. It doesn't take much water to
stain a ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
lagman wrote:
I noticed a water bubble on my bedroom ceiling, so I went in the
attic to investigate. It turns out a pipe that vents to the roof
had become disconnected at the first joint, so I just re-connected
it. I assume when it rained hard enough, rain water was leaking
down the pipe and on to the ceiling (we just had a hard rain).

But that got me thinking.. Even if the pipe didn't become
disconnected, should rain water still be leaking down the pipe?

Thanks,
Dan

down the inside, sure. But if it was running down the *outside* of
the pipe, you probably need new flashing.

Shhh! If water runs down the inside of the vent pipe, rainwater will enter
the sewer system. This, in turn, will cause extra expense for the sanitary
sewer treatment plant.

Say each house has four of these vents, each 2" in diameter, that's about a
total of 12 square inches of rain capture.

Now in my town, Houston, we get about 48" of rain per year, times 12 sq in
of rain capture per house, that's 4 cubic feet of water that has to be
unnecessarily treated per household per year.

We have about 800,000 households, so the total waste becomes 3,200,000 cubic
feet, or 24 million gallons!

If this comes to the attention of our betters, municipal ordinances will
spring forth mandating rain-dispersing caps on the plumbing vents.

The good news is that these caps shouldn't cost more than $100 per house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lagman wrote:
I noticed a water bubble on my bedroom ceiling, so I went in the attic
to investigate. It turns out a pipe that vents to the roof had become
disconnected at the first joint, so I just re-connected it. I assume
when it rained hard enough, rain water was leaking down the pipe and
on to the ceiling (we just had a hard rain).

But that got me thinking.. Even if the pipe didn't become
disconnected, should rain water still be leaking down the pipe?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi,
That sounds ??? that kind of pipe is joined male-female fashion allowing
expansion, From bottom up F-M-F-M... Disconnected? More likely flashing
problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 17:18:07 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

lagman wrote:
I noticed a water bubble on my bedroom ceiling, so I went in the attic
to investigate. It turns out a pipe that vents to the roof had become
disconnected at the first joint, so I just re-connected it. I assume
when it rained hard enough, rain water was leaking down the pipe and
on to the ceiling (we just had a hard rain).

But that got me thinking.. Even if the pipe didn't become
disconnected, should rain water still be leaking down the pipe?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi,
That sounds ??? that kind of pipe is joined male-female fashion allowing
expansion, From bottom up F-M-F-M... Disconnected? More likely flashing
problem?

Huh? I guess the OP just imagined seeing the pipe disconnected and
reconnecting it.

Regarding his real question, any rain water that "leaks" down the vent
just goes into the sewer (as another poster cleverly said). If you
think about, even if it rains an inch, that's not much water compared
to lets say, a toilet flush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Nate Nagel wrote:
lagman wrote:
[...]

....and a $50 required permit fee to install it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Red Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in

The good news is that these caps shouldn't cost more than $100 per
house.

...and a $50 required permit fee to install it.

And a $250 liability rider for the high location work w/ an additional
$250 if it's also steep-pitch...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Red Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in

The good news is that these caps shouldn't cost more than $100 per
house.

...and a $50 required permit fee to install it.

And a $250 liability rider for the high location work w/ an additional
$250 if it's also steep-pitch...

Yes, but fortunately I live in a right-to-scab state, so union scale is not
required...