DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   screws or nails for exterior stairs? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/282179-screws-nails-exterior-stairs.html)

sluggo July 11th 09 03:57 PM

screws or nails for exterior stairs?

I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x lumber.
Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the supports? How
about for attaching the treads?

thanks

Joe July 11th 09 07:20 PM

On Jul 11, 9:57*am, "sluggo" wrote:
I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x lumber.
Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the supports? *How
about for attaching the treads?

thanks

Use treated TORX head deck screws made for treated lumber. Install
with an impact driver. Use for the entire assembly. If you don't have
an impact driver, rent one. After very brief use, you'll have a strong
urge to buy your own.

Joe

willshak July 11th 09 07:25 PM

on 7/11/2009 10:57 AM (ET) sluggo wrote the following:
I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x
lumber. Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the
supports? How about for attaching the treads?

thanks

I prefer screws for all outside construction. They hold better than nails.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

HeyBub[_3_] July 11th 09 10:08 PM

sluggo wrote:
I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x
lumber. Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the
supports? How about for attaching the treads?

In virtually all applications, screws hold better than nails. It wouldn't
hurt to slather on some aggressive glue either.

Ed Pawlowski July 11th 09 11:51 PM

screws or nails for exterior stairs?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
sluggo wrote:
I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x
lumber. Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the
supports? How about for attaching the treads?

In virtually all applications, screws hold better than nails. It wouldn't
hurt to slather on some aggressive glue either.

Just use the proper screws. For some reason (cheap and easy) people think
drywall screws are the answer to every dream of holding things together.
They are brittle and prone to break under stress. If you have questions.
www.mcfeelys.com has many answers as to types and uses.

sluggo July 12th 09 01:24 AM

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:57:27 GMT, "sluggo" wrote:

I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x lumber.
Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the supports? How
about for attaching the treads?

thanks

Deck screws.

Do I need to pre-drill for screwing into 2x?

Ed Pawlowski July 12th 09 02:45 AM

"sluggo" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:57:27 GMT, "sluggo" wrote:

I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x lumber.
Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the supports? How
about for attaching the treads?

thanks

Deck screws.

Do I need to pre-drill for screwing into 2x?

I would. Only takes a few seconds and you get better results in thick wood.
I'd use a countersink also.

Joe July 12th 09 05:15 AM

On Jul 11, 8:45*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Do I need to pre-drill for screwing into 2x?

I would. *Only takes a few seconds and you get better results in thick wood.
I'd use a countersink also.

With the TORX head deck screws and an impact driver, predrilling only
wastes time unless you are putting the fastener perilously close to an
edge, say 1/2" or so. You can bury the screw in the wood as deep as
you wish without a countersink. The screws have serrations on the
taper below the head making countersinks unnecessary. Takes a bit of
easy on the trigger to set them just flush at first. Some of the
longer screws I use are high tensile 4 inchers, slim enough to avoid
splits. There are even TORX head finishing screws at our local lumber
yard. Great for fussy trim work where the usual hammer and nail set
routine winds up looking messy. IMO, some impressive new products.

Joe

Phisherman[_2_] July 12th 09 10:10 PM

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 00:24:54 GMT, "sluggo" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:57:27 GMT, "sluggo" wrote:

I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x lumber.
Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the supports? How
about for attaching the treads?

thanks

Deck screws.

Do I need to pre-drill for screwing into 2x?

For pine or softwoods, no. But properly-sized pilot holes can offer
some advantages.

[email protected] October 5th 16 04:51 PM

screws or nails for exterior stairs?

What type of screws should be used attaching the hanger to ledger board?

[email protected] October 5th 16 09:59 PM

screws or nails for exterior stairs?

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 08:51:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

What type of screws should be used attaching the hanger to ledger board?

If you're attaching a metal hanger, I'd recommend using nails. Not
screws. Nails dont break under side pressure like many screws do.
(Particularly those black drywall screws).