Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Underlayment fastener

I'm replacing the vinyl floor in our kitchen with a porcelain tile
floor. When I removed the old vinyl and the particle board
underlayment I found it was fastened with a fastener type that I
hadn't seen before.

The fastener is shaped similar to a letter "L" and has some small
ridges on the long leg. What kind of fastener is this and what are
they called?

G.S.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I'm replacing the vinyl floor in our kitchen with a porcelain tile
floor. When I removed the old vinyl and the particle board
underlayment I found it was fastened with a fastener type that I
hadn't seen before.

The fastener is shaped similar to a letter "L" and has some small
ridges on the long leg. What kind of fastener is this and what are
they called?

G.S.

I call 'em flooring cleats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I'm replacing the vinyl floor in our kitchen with a porcelain tile
floor. When I removed the old vinyl and the particle board
underlayment I found it was fastened with a fastener type that I
hadn't seen before.

The fastener is shaped similar to a letter "L" and has some small
ridges on the long leg. What kind of fastener is this and what are
they called?

G.S.

I call 'em flooring cleats.

Ayah...Me too..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 4:47*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I'm replacing the vinyl floor in our kitchen with a porcelain tile
floor. *When I removed the old vinyl and the particle board
underlayment I found it was fastened with a fastener type that I
hadn't seen before.

The fastener is shaped similar to a letter "L" and has some small
ridges on the long leg. *What kind of fastener is this and what are
they called?

As others have mentioned, they're called cleats. I've never seen them
used to fasten underlayment, just wood strip flooring. There are
better fasteners for underlayment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
In your opinion what would you prefer for a fastener?

I'm sure he would require something that will stand up to 120mph winds...He
designs walls that stand up to those standards ya know , so he thinks
everything should be , just to be on the safe side , as stated in another
thread about shear wall strength in a SHED....LOL....

wrote:

On Jul 10, 4:47 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I'm replacing the vinyl floor in our kitchen with a porcelain tile
floor. When I removed the old vinyl and the particle board
underlayment I found it was fastened with a fastener type that I
hadn't seen before.

The fastener is shaped similar to a letter "L" and has some small
ridges on the long leg. What kind of fastener is this and what are
they called?

As others have mentioned, they're called cleats. I've never seen them
used to fasten underlayment, just wood strip flooring. There are
better fasteners for underlayment.

G.S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In your opinion what would you prefer for a fastener?

In our new(er) home, the subfloor is Sturdifloor..a panel strip/OSB looking
product.
We were going ceramic tile thru much of the home at and the installer said
that a plywood underlayment would be better than the chipboard underlayment
sheets used in many nearby homes. We went with the PLY as it was only a few
dollars more per sheet than the chipboard. The installer picked up a 5
gallon pail of white (carpenters) glue..he spread it liberally across the
floor, placed the plywood sheets perpendicular to the sturdifloor sheets
then used a LOT of air gun 15 GA staples to nail it down. Been in here 5
yrs now and no problems with the floor, no "bounce", no tile grout cracking.
Seems pretty solid. I'd go that way again

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 10, 4:47*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I'm replacing the vinyl floor in our kitchen with a porcelain tile
floor. *When I removed the old vinyl and the particle board
underlayment I found it was fastened with a fastener type that I
hadn't seen before.

The fastener is shaped similar to a letter "L" and has some small
ridges on the long leg. *What kind of fastener is this and what are
they called?

As others have mentioned, they're called cleats. I've never seen them
used to fasten underlayment, just wood strip flooring. There are
better fasteners for underlayment.

Underlayment nails, aka bright ring-shank nails. You can also use
narrow crown staples if you want to do it faster, but that would
require you to rent a staple gun and buy a box of staples which would
be way more staples than you'd need for a kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 12:24*am, Gordon Shumway wrote:
In your opinion what would you prefer for a fastener?

BTW, it is not my opinion, it is what is specified by pretty much all
flooring manufacturers. Whenever you have these sort of questions, do
a Google and add "architectural specifications". That will bring up a
lot of manufacturers installation instructions. Don't rely on one
manufacturer's recommendation. Read a few of them and you'll find a
common recommendation - that's a safe way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Excellent advise! Definitely worth much more than I paid for it :-)

Thanks,

Fastener FAQ? MiamiCuse Home Repair 11 December 30th 08 03:01 PM
Have you seen this fastener? [email protected][_2_] Woodworking 2 October 9th 07 09:15 PM
What kind of fastener is this? [email protected] Metalworking 9 August 30th 07 06:23 AM
drywall fastener... [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 13th 07 06:20 PM
Help, Metal fastener Name Sunworshipper Metalworking 5 October 2nd 05 01:36 PM