DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   AC compressor mounted on bracket? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281999-re-ac-compressor-mounted-bracket.html)

John Gilmer[_3_] July 9th 09 02:04 AM

AC compressor mounted on bracket?

"Bryce" wrote in message
Ryan Homes is building a bunch of homes nearby. The basement
walls are poured concrete and the AC compressor is supported
by a hefty bracket bolted to the wall - a foot or so above grade.

That seems to be the 'norm' today.

I suspect that it reduces call backs from the "slab" (or whatever the AC is
sitting on) shifting in the "builder's soil."

Why are they doing this instead of putting the compressor on
the ground? It seems to me that a lot of noise gets coupled
into the house when it's done this way, plus cost of bracket
and mounting labor. What am I missing?

Well, one advantage is that they have a very accurate idea of the required
length of the "tube set" and don't have to worry about how much or how
little soil was placed back next to the foundation. In fact, it permits
them to install the A/C even when the foundation is completely exposed.
That's flexibility likely compensates for the marginally greater cost of the
bracket.