Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need galvanized finish nails for exterior, right?

I just bought a Bostitch 15 gauge finish nailer for some exterior trim
work. Bought some Bostitch nails. They say they're 'coated.' I
emailed Bostitch and they say the coating is not galvanized but just a
glue coating that helps in removal. They said to use stainless nails
for exterior.

Unfortunately the stainless nails are 4 times the price.

I presume I need galvanized nails for exterior work, right? I'll be
using this with both wood and PVC trim.

I may just return the Bostitch and get something else for which
galvanized nails are available.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ben wrote:
I just bought a Bostitch 15 gauge finish nailer for some exterior trim
work. Bought some Bostitch nails. They say they're 'coated.' I
emailed Bostitch and they say the coating is not galvanized but just a
glue coating that helps in removal. They said to use stainless nails
for exterior.

Unfortunately the stainless nails are 4 times the price.

I presume I need galvanized nails for exterior work, right? I'll be
using this with both wood and PVC trim.

I may just return the Bostitch and get something else for which
galvanized nails are available.

I'm sure I've bought galvanized nails that fit the Bostitch finish
nailer--don't recall that they were necessarily Bostitch, however; I've
used several over the years.

But, none of the galvanized I've ever seen for power nailers are very
long-lasting as compared to a good regular nail--can't put that much
galvanizing on them and have them still feed.

If it's painted, set them and putty and they'll be fine, likely. But,
if you want auto-drive and no chance of rust, SS is your choice, price
or no...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:13:45 -0700 (PDT), ben
wrote:

I just bought a Bostitch 15 gauge finish nailer for some exterior trim
work. Bought some Bostitch nails. They say they're 'coated.' I
emailed Bostitch and they say the coating is not galvanized but just a
glue coating that helps in removal. They said to use stainless nails
for exterior.

Unfortunately the stainless nails are 4 times the price.

I presume I need galvanized nails for exterior work, right? I'll be
using this with both wood and PVC trim.

I may just return the Bostitch and get something else for which
galvanized nails are available.

Bostich is correct, use the stainless. Anything else will darken the
trim, possibly streak and who wants that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ben wrote:
I just bought a Bostitch 15 gauge finish nailer for some exterior trim
work. Bought some Bostitch nails. They say they're 'coated.' I
emailed Bostitch and they say the coating is not galvanized but just a
glue coating that helps in removal. They said to use stainless nails
for exterior.

Unfortunately the stainless nails are 4 times the price.

I presume I need galvanized nails for exterior work, right? I'll be
using this with both wood and PVC trim.

I may just return the Bostitch and get something else for which
galvanized nails are available.

Keep in mind that there is galvanized and there is GALVANIZED. The first is
electro-plated and applies a nice, uniform and very thin coat of zinc which
won't last long. The second is hot dipped and applies a thick, non--uniform
coating which endures for a long time but which is unlikely to be able to be
used with a nailer. Use stainless.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...