DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint overspray prevention? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281935-re-paint-overspray-prevention.html)

benick[_2_] July 8th 09 04:11 AM

Paint overspray prevention?

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I have not so far used my Magnum paint sprayer, but when my wife mentioned
to our neighbor that I was planning to use it to paint our wood siding, she
(the neighbor) expressed great concern that the overspray would pollute
their new-last-year vinyl siding. Our end walls face each other about 20ft
apart.

I am planning to practice first on our shed, which is well away from their
house, but are there any general tips for preventing overspray? --
apart from the obvious warning not to spray when the wind is blowing in
their direction. I'll be using latex paints, if that makes a difference.

Perce

20 ft apart ??? FORGET IT...Unless you'ld like to buy your neighbor new
siding....With neighbors that close you can forget about any outside
spraying..You'll be paying for car damage as well as new siding...

hr(bob) [email protected] July 8th 09 04:30 AM

Paint overspray prevention?

On Jul 7, 9:11*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in ...

I have not so far used my Magnum paint sprayer, but when my wife mentioned
to our neighbor that I was planning to use it to paint our wood siding, she
(the neighbor) expressed great concern that the overspray would pollute
their new-last-year vinyl siding. Our end walls face each other about 20ft
apart.

I am planning to practice first on our shed, which is well away from their
house, but are there any general tips for preventing overspray? --
apart from the obvious warning not to spray when the wind is blowing in
their direction. I'll be using latex paints, if that makes a difference..

Perce

20 ft apart ??? FORGET IT...Unless you'ld like to buy your neighbor new
siding....With neighbors that close you can forget about any outside
spraying..You'll be paying for car damage as well as new siding...

Would wetting down the neighbors house before you start spraying
help???

Percival P. Cassidy July 8th 09 05:18 AM

hr(bob) wrote:

[...]

That crossed my mind too.

Perce

Percival P. Cassidy July 8th 09 05:36 AM

benick wrote:

I have not so far used my Magnum paint sprayer, but when my wife
mentioned to our neighbor that I was planning to use it to paint our
wood siding, she (the neighbor) expressed great concern that the
overspray would pollute their new-last-year vinyl siding. Our end
walls face each other about 20ft apart.

I am planning to practice first on our shed, which is well away from
their house, but are there any general tips for preventing overspray?
-- apart from the obvious warning not to spray when the wind is
blowing in their direction. I'll be using latex paints, if that makes
a difference.

20 ft apart ??? FORGET IT...Unless you'ld like to buy your neighbor new
siding....With neighbors that close you can forget about any outside
spraying..You'll be paying for car damage as well as new siding...

Even with an airless sprayer?

So who uses these sprayers that are on sale "everywhere" if they are
unsuitable for use in ordinary subdivisions?

Perce

dadiOH[_3_] July 8th 09 01:04 PM

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
benick wrote:

[...]

Twenty feet apart isn't an ordinary subdivision, it is a ghetto :)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Percival P. Cassidy July 8th 09 02:08 PM

dadiOH wrote:

[...]

I may have underestimated the 20ft somewhat. It's no ghetto (our lot is
almost 3/8 acre, the neighbor's a little less), but each of these two
houses has been built with the garage end not far from the property
line. On the other end of our house, where a living area faces the
neighbor's living area, the separation is greater.

Perce

aemeijers July 8th 09 11:47 PM

dadiOH wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
benick wrote:

[...]

20 feet is typical for anything but a McMansion subdivision, and even
some of those place the houses very close on tiny lots, for yuppies that
don't care to be bothered with much lawn upkeep. On old urban lots, a 10
foot side yard would be considered a fancy extra-large lot. On real old
urban lots with alleys, less than 10 feet between houses was quite common.

(looks out window) In this semi-rural 1960 sub, distance from my garage
to neighbor seems to be about 25 feet. Used to be further, but previous
owner added a 2-car garage with family room behind, and buried the old
1-car garage in the basement. (Wish there was a cheap way to un-bury it.
It would make a good woodshop if it had an outside entrance.)

--
aem sends...