DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT (sorta' there's a repair involved, just not home) : Vintage Chevytruck parts (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281914-ot-sorta-theres-repair-involved-just-not-home-vintage-chevytruck-parts.html)

dpb July 7th 09 08:48 PM

OT (sorta' there's a repair involved, just not home) : Vintage Chevytruck parts

I seem to have lost all track of the old catalogs and google didn't
raise anybody I recognized from the past....

'58 Chevy C60 (quite a lot bigger brother to a C10/20 but same cab
style, etc., just running gear is a lot heavier) ...

I'm fed up w/ no odometer and speedometer to a certain point but the
real want is the gas tank level sending unit--they're a metallic
conductive strip that eventually breaks resulting in an "always full"
indication. I've never known exactly what they are made of; a braze
"repair" job of one on the other truck wasn't entirely satisfactory;
screwed up calibration something fierce... :)

So, the question is; anybody here have good source for vintage Chevy
truck parts...

Smitty Two July 8th 09 01:56 PM

OT (sorta' there's a repair involved, just not home) : Vintage Chevy truck parts

In article ,
dpb wrote:

I seem to have lost all track of the old catalogs and google didn't
raise anybody I recognized from the past....

Well, you could try some place that you don't recognize from the past. I
had a '72 for a while there, and found a few places that were honest and
reasonable, via web search. Don't remember now who they were, though. Or
you could buy a hard copy of Hemming's down at the magazine rack and
look through the dealer ads ...

dpb July 8th 09 02:07 PM

OT (sorta' there's a repair involved, just not home) : VintageChevy truck parts

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
dpb wrote:

...I had a '72 for a while there, ...

Ah...and yes! Had one of them, too. Sold/gave it to friend when left
TN; it's still going strong afaik. Son has one in Raleigh w/ factory
air but it has had tranny problems he's never fixed--I keep thinking I
should bring it out...

On the places and google/web searches--figured _somebody_ here has old
Chevy's and favorite current places... :)

But, if not, yeah, there are other ways.

HeyBub[_3_] July 8th 09 05:10 PM

dpb wrote:
I seem to have lost all track of the old catalogs and google didn't
raise anybody I recognized from the past....

'58 Chevy C60 (quite a lot bigger brother to a C10/20 but same cab
style, etc., just running gear is a lot heavier) ...

I'm fed up w/ no odometer and speedometer to a certain point but the
real want is the gas tank level sending unit--they're a metallic
conductive strip that eventually breaks resulting in an "always full"
indication. I've never known exactly what they are made of; a braze
"repair" job of one on the other truck wasn't entirely satisfactory;
screwed up calibration something fierce... :)

So, the question is; anybody here have good source for vintage Chevy
truck parts...

No source, but here's a tip. When you get ready to replace the fuel sending
unit, it may, on your model, be easier to remove the bed than to drop the
tank. On my Chevy truck, the bed is held in by only 8 bolts that are easy to
reach.

dpb July 8th 09 06:14 PM

HeyBub wrote:
dpb wrote:

'58 Chevy C60 (quite a lot bigger brother to a C10/20 but same cab
style, etc., just running gear is a lot heavier) ...

No source, but here's a tip. When you get ready to replace the fuel sending
unit, it may, on your model, be easier to remove the bed than to drop the
tank. On my Chevy truck, the bed is held in by only 8 bolts that are easy to
reach.

No need; tank is behind seat... :)

Also, as noted it's a C60 (32M GVW) w/grain bed & hoist, not a pickup.
Just that medium-duty trucks had same cab design as pickups then.