Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a 120 volt relay

I finally got it squared away today. It took three trips to WW Grainger
before I had the 120 volt DPST relay in my hot little hand. I stopped
at Home Depot on the way home and bought a blue plastic work box along
with an AC outlet and a face plate.

I actually soldered the spade lugs onto the wires (scavenged from the
garage)and stuffed everything into the box. It makes quite a neat
package with the two cords coming through a grommeted 1/2" hole in the
back of the box.

I plugged the high powered amp into one side of the outlet and the CD
player into the other. I plugged the relayed plug directly into the
wall and the cord to the coil into the back of the receiver.

Et voila! It works perfectly. Now I turn on the receiver and
everything turns on at the same time. I should have done this long ago.

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas to the thread. This is the
relay I ended up using:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EJH4

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

I didn't see your original post, but you could carry your device one
step further by adding a timer and 3 or 4 relays to power up/down the
equipment in sequence. Audiophile equipment should be powered up in
sequence from input-source devices first (cd, phono, tuner) to power
amps last, and powered down power amps first then input-source devices
last. So pusing on would trigger the relays to go on in sequence (at
5 second intervals) and pushing off would trigger to relays to go off
in reverse sequence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

windcrest wrote:

I didn't see your original post, but you could carry your device one
step further by adding a timer and 3 or 4 relays to power up/down the
equipment in sequence. Audiophile equipment should be powered up in
sequence from input-source devices first (cd, phono, tuner) to power
amps last, and powered down power amps first then input-source devices
last. So pulsing on would trigger the relays to go on in sequence (at
5 second intervals) and pushing off would trigger to relays to go off
in reverse sequence.

My external power amplifier is a Dynaco 400 and it already includes
delayed turn-on to prevent speaker thumps. I've had this since 1974 and
it still sounds great.

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynac...400/index.html

As for powering down, I don't see any particular downside to
simultaneous shut down.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com