Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lubricating (deadbolt) lock?

We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus,
I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus,
I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,

Something works well:-))
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 7:30*am, George wrote:
We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. *This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus,
I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,

I've never had much luck with graphite, I know it is the recommended
lube, but a squirt of spray oil seems to work a lot better.
The reason graphite is recommended is; it doesn't attract and hold
dirt. However, It doesn't stick or lube very well either, I'll take my
chances with a can of spray oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus,
I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,

Hi,
Graphite oil which is used for car locks. Or liquid Teflon lubricant,
Lubriplate white grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be.
Plus, I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon
spray, or something?

Thanks,

A locksmith told me some years ago not to use graphite although he didn't
elaborate on why.

Are the locks hard to operate with the doors open as well as closed? If the
doors are shifting out of alignment over time the difficulty might be due to
the bolt dragging on the strike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:21:49 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

George wrote:

We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be.
Plus, I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon
spray, or something?

Thanks,

A locksmith told me some years ago not to use graphite although he didn't
elaborate on why.

Are the locks hard to operate with the doors open as well as closed? ...

Yeah. And, the graphite seems to work, at least for several months on
one lock. I just was looking for something easier to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin | 2009-07-07 | 11:21:49 AM wrote:

A locksmith told me some years ago not to use graphite although he
didn't elaborate on why.

The locksmith I use told me the same thing. He recommends a tiny drop
of 3-In-1 oil. He says the graphite is just messy, though it can
conceivably get packed into some critical little cranny and jam the
lock.

Are the locks hard to operate with the doors open as well as closed?
If the doors are shifting out of alignment over time the difficulty
might be due to the bolt dragging on the strike.

I've found that locks get cranky if I tighten the screws too much.
Backing off the screws a little can loosen up the whole works. Don't
loosen them so much the lock falls out. :-)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just don't get your something at Harbor Freight, it doesn't
last very long.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LouB" wrote in message

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or
silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,

Something works well:-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
George wrote:

We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus,
I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,

The stuff that claims to be a lubricant, that many here claim isn't a
lubricant, has *always* done a damn fine job of lubricating many, many
locks for me over the years. I spray a copious quantity into the
keyhole, and operate the lock about fifty times to get it really worked
in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus,
I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,

When are people going to understand the difference between
silicon and silicone? I would hate to bump into a bimbo who
has silicon implants, it would hurt.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
George wrote:

We've had trouble with a couple of deadbolts getting hard to operate.
I've fixed this by taking the lock apart, and squirting graphite into
the 'slider' mechanism. This works, but the fit is snug, the graphite
seems to have a little difficulty getting to where it needs to be. Plus,
I end up with black powder on everything.

Can I use something more liquid for this - 3-in-1 oil, or silcon spray,
or something?

Thanks,

The stuff that claims to be a lubricant, that many here claim isn't a
lubricant, has *always* done a damn fine job of lubricating many, many
locks for me over the years. I spray a copious quantity into the
keyhole, and operate the lock about fifty times to get it really worked
in.

I know you're referring to **40 (don't want to stir up the natives)
I've use it too but lately I found industrial chain lube to do a
better job for lubricating lock mechanisms, especially commercial
door locks that get a lot of use.

TDD

Guide To Lubricating A Sticky Door Lock & Key Paul Michaels Home Ownership 0 June 23rd 09 08:00 PM
deadbolt misaligned badgolferman Home Repair 3 November 2nd 08 09:31 PM
Weatherproofing a lock or deadbolt Stormin Mormon Home Repair 0 March 15th 07 04:09 PM
deadbolt Patt Home Repair 10 March 14th 07 11:01 PM
Lubricating Oil Andy Hall UK diy 14 September 19th 04 10:52 PM