Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Grass keeps clogging chute on Snapper 21" pusher

Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 6, 8:56*pm, muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

are you in new england... it's been raining for so long here everyone
is having similar problems
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Hi,
Maybe gras is too wet? Is it clean under the deck? No build up of grass
particles? Once under the deck is cleaned you can spray silicon grease
to keep it clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

"muzician21" wrote in message
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Possibly grass is damp, longer, or denser than before?

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Mother Nature is reminding you that mulching is better:-))

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Don Young wrote:
[...]

Spring grass is juicy and sticks to the duct blocking it. Wet grass is
similar as well as damp grass. If the grass is too long and damp to pick up,
I have found that doing a quick mow without picking it up is best. If the
sun is shining, even an hour later, remow it and it will be dry enough to
pick up easily without any clogging.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

Wet grass, or dull blade mashing the grass wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

"muzician21" wrote in message
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Mulching did such a good job your grass is not thicker than before so there
is more to pass through the chute. Go back to mulching for a better lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

"muzician21" wrote in message
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

See if your oompa is tangled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 17:56:30 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
wrote:

Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Walk across your lawn and take a look at your shoes. If wet, don't
mow. Mulching is 10X better for greener grass and certainly easier
on your back, but you already knew that, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:

I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in
short order.

Check to see if the bottom of the bag (usually formed by a stiff sheet
of flat plastic) is angled up or down (in terms of direction away from
the chute). The bottom should be at least flat (parallel with the
ground) or even angled down at the far end of the bag. This allows the
grass to fly out the chute and go as far as possible into the bag. Bend
the wire bag support frame if necessary.

Is your lawn flat, or does it slope? Mowing in the downhill direction
will also tend to clog the chute vs mowing uphill.

Also check the underside of the deck and remove any grass buildup that
usually cakes up there.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

I just got a new used electric lawnmower, with three options**

I tried shooting the grass out but it was long and I knew it would
turn yellow lying on the other grass. I put the mulcher on and then
could see no cut-off grass where I mowed. So I redid the first area
and the cut grass disappeared.

**except I don't own the bag and earlier, when I borrowed my
neighbor's once, it filled up every ten minutes. It was going to
double the time it took me to mow the lawn. But I'm glad I tried it
once. For one thing, now I know why neighbor is constantly mowing,
then stopping, then mowing.... I thought he was doing it just to drive
me crazy, because I could never tell when he was done so I could go
back to the quiet end of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Wild guess: Has the speed of the mower changed? Maybe the blade is
turning slower due to a change in the engine---say a changed idle speed,
plugged air cleaner, plugged carb jet?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

In ,
muzician21 spewed forth:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

It could be the blade, it may be a mulching blade which would not have the
same lift as a regular blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 7, 12:03*am, Matt wrote:

Wild guess: *Has the speed of the mower changed? *Maybe the blade is
turning slower due to a change in the engine---say a changed idle speed,
plugged air cleaner, plugged carb jet?

Runs great, like it always has. I don't have a tach on it but I don't
detect any difference. Certainly I shouldn't have to run it wide open
for the bag to catch the grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 7, 12:32*am, "ChairMan" wrote:

It could be the blade, it may be a mulching blade which would not have the
same lift as a regular blade.

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony Hwang wrote:
muzician21 wrote:
[...]

"Silicon grease"? Is that what is used for lubricating
integrated circuits or sand piles?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

"muzician21" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 12:32 am, "ChairMan" wrote:

It could be the blade, it may be a mulching blade which would not have the
same lift as a regular blade.

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.
*****

A blade that is used to bag the grass has a different angle (steeper) which
generates the air flow necessary to bag the grass. A mulching blade does not
have this. Invest a few bucks in a regular blade if you really want it bag
the grass.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 6, 7:56*pm, muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Any rain recently? Do you cut early or late in the day? Mulch it, its
natural fertiliser and mulch, "Slip Plate" works I use it on my
snowblower chute.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 7, 2:46*am, "Larry" wrote:
"muzician21" wrote in message

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.
*****

A blade that is used to bag the grass has a different angle (steeper) which
generates the air flow necessary to bag the grass. A mulching blade does not
have this. * Invest a few bucks in a regular blade if you really want it bag
the grass.

After further consideration, I think I might be wrong about it being
the original blade. Today I got a "universal" 21" blade from Home
Depot but the center hole isn't wide enough. Think it would make any
difference if I reamed out the hole as opposed to finding a Snapper
blade that fits? Anything special about Snapper blades?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 17:56:30 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled muzician21 , to say:

Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Spray the chute with WD-40.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:01:57 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
wrote:

On Jul 7, 2:46*am, "Larry" wrote:
"muzician21" wrote in message

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.
*****

A blade that is used to bag the grass has a different angle (steeper) which
generates the air flow necessary to bag the grass. A mulching blade does not
have this. * Invest a few bucks in a regular blade if you really want it bag
the grass.

After further consideration, I think I might be wrong about it being
the original blade. Today I got a "universal" 21" blade from Home
Depot but the center hole isn't wide enough. Think it would make any
difference if I reamed out the hole as opposed to finding a Snapper
blade that fits? Anything special about Snapper blades?

Best to stick with the original manufacturer's blade, if possible,
especially if you are having issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 8, 12:01*am, muzician21 wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:46*am, "Larry" wrote:

"muzician21" wrote in message
It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.
*****

A blade that is used to bag the grass has a different angle (steeper) which
generates the air flow necessary to bag the grass. A mulching blade does not
have this. * Invest a few bucks in a regular blade if you really want it bag
the grass.

After further consideration, I think I might be wrong about it being
the original blade. Today I got a "universal" 21" blade from Home
Depot but the center hole isn't wide enough. Think it would make any
difference if I reamed out the hole as opposed to finding a Snapper
blade that fits? Anything special about Snapper blades?

You wont ream it evenly, it will make it unbalanced and will have to
be balanced, but I bet it has a mulch blade, the best. CR has mulch
ratings you can compare, I bet your machine rates well so its your
conditions making it clog.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

In article , "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"muzician21" wrote in message
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

Mulching did such a good job your grass is not thicker than before so there
is more to pass through the chute. Go back to mulching for a better lawn.

I never pick up now, mostly out of need. Big lawns are tough, and sometimes
it gets too long. That would really clog things. I don't even have a mulching blade,
or blades I should say. Feed the earth worms. Most Chem lawn yards
don't have earth worms.

In the old neighborhood, nobody had earth worms afer all the chemical treatments
mostly in the 70's and 80's. I actually started to replant earth worms in the old
yard after the parents stopped using Chem Lawn for many years.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher. For the first time in several years
I've decided to start bagging the grass instead of mulching it.
Problem is, I'm now finding that the grass clogs the chute in short
order. Very little actually makes it into the bag. The last time I
bagged the grass this wasn't a problem.

I tried cleaning the bag thinking maybe a lack of air flow was somehow
an issue - gave it a good scrubbing in the tub with lots of detergent.
Sharpened the blade. I found the bottom lip of the chute was splitting
so I formed some sheet aluminum to fit over the lip and pop-riveted it
in place to give the grass a smooth entry point. None of this has
helped.

Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

If the machine is the same, three factors besides moisture can cause
clogging:
The amount of grass you are cutting.
The stickiness of the stuff you're cutting.
The amount of air the mower is sucking.

Raising the cutting height can help a lot. It lets the machine suck
more air while reducing the amount of vegetation being cut.

Cutting more frequently will reduce clogging.

A habit of cutting too low in summer can change a lawn so that clogging
becomes a problem. After low cutting, the sun heats the soil more, and
that can allow weedy hot-weather grasses to take over. Cutting at 3-5"
can keep the soil cool enough for fescue to thrive. Fescue cuts nicely
in my experience.

Cutting higher may improve a problem lawn so that it becomes easier to
mow each year. A lawn that once caused clogging dry may improve so that
it cuts without trouble wet or dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

E Z Peaces wrote:

If the machine is the same, three factors besides moisture can
cause clogging:
The amount of grass you are cutting.
The stickiness of the stuff you're cutting.
The amount of air the mower is sucking.

(cutting up-hill vs downhill, having a clean bag that allows airflow)

Bend the bag support frame so the back end of the bag is flat or
slightly lower with respect to the chute opening.

Problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

muzician21 wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:46 am, "Larry" wrote:
"muzician21" wrote in message

It is a mulching blade but that's what's been on it since the 70's.
*****

A blade that is used to bag the grass has a different angle (steeper) which
generates the air flow necessary to bag the grass. A mulching blade does not
have this. Invest a few bucks in a regular blade if you really want it bag
the grass.

After further consideration, I think I might be wrong about it being
the original blade. Today I got a "universal" 21" blade from Home
Depot but the center hole isn't wide enough. Think it would make any
difference if I reamed out the hole as opposed to finding a Snapper
blade that fits? Anything special about Snapper blades?

A universal blade will not work on a Snapper. Go to a lawnmower shop and
ask for a snapper bagging blade. It's has a higher lift than the std
Snapper blade. Take your current blade (the one that fits) with you to
compare length and center hole.

--
Art
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

EXT wrote:

[....]

Spring grass is juicy and sticks to the duct blocking it. Wet grass is
similar as well as damp grass. If the grass is too long and damp to pick up,
I have found that doing a quick mow without picking it up is best. If the
sun is shining, even an hour later, remow it and it will be dry enough to
pick up easily without any clogging.

even though this technique takes a bit more effort the end result
is a cleaner better looking job...

I've got two Snapper self propelled run behind mowers and the only
problem I've ever encountered with them is they don't bag wet or damp
grass very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

Cally wrote:

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher.

[....]
Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

See if your oompa is tangled.

that was rather observant of you to realize the older Snapper's used
the oompa in stead of the gigolator newer models are equipped with.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim wrote:
Cally wrote:

muzician21 wrote:
Have an old 21" Snapper pusher.

[....]
Why would this now be an issue when it hasn't been in the past? Same
mower, same blade.

See if your oompa is tangled.

that was rather observant of you to realize the older Snapper's used
the oompa in stead of the gigolator newer models are equipped with.

I thought it was the vacillating framistan that was
causing all the malfunctions in that series of lawn
mowers.

TDD

Rubbish chute Andy R UK diy 2 January 16th 07 02:02 PM
black spots in "grass"/ clay jIM Home Repair 3 July 31st 06 07:14 PM
Help with old snapper riding mower... Brigitte Home Repair 11 May 18th 06 05:48 PM
snapper mower gg Home Repair 0 June 27th 05 02:17 AM
Snapper Walk Behind Mowers?? m Ransley Home Repair 5 April 4th 05 09:15 PM