Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Porch alignment

I have a problem with the porch roof and supporting pillars...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2exu9ma.jpg

they lean slightly to the right...

politically... it's no problem...

but esthetically... I need a fix...

any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Illinois Bob" wrote in message
I have a problem with the porch roof and supporting pillars...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2exu9ma.jpg

they lean slightly to the right...

politically... it's no problem...

but esthetically... I need a fix...

any ideas?

Just try jacking the house on the low side with bottle jacks and a piece of
I beam. Alternatively, you can get a tripod and level the camera.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Illinois Bob" wrote in message
I have a problem with the porch roof and supporting pillars...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2exu9ma.jpg

they lean slightly to the right...

politically... it's no problem...

but esthetically... I need a fix...

any ideas?

Just try jacking the house on the low side with bottle jacks and a
piece of I beam. Alternatively, you can get a tripod and level the
camera.

Snap

Hard to tell from the skewed picture, but it does look like one porch
pier settled, or the other one (with the failed stucco) has
frost-heaved. Need to stare at it awhile in person, and make use of a
4-foot level, maybe a water level, and some big marbles, to figure out
what is going on. Porch may need jacking on one corner, and a pier
rebuilt or shimmed, depending on condition.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 19:03:54 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Illinois Bob" wrote in message
.. .
I have a problem with the porch roof and supporting pillars...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2exu9ma.jpg

they lean slightly to the right...

politically... it's no problem...

but esthetically... I need a fix...

any ideas?

Just try jacking the house on the low side with bottle jacks and a piece of
I beam. Alternatively, you can get a tripod and level the camera.

.....SNARF!!! thanx.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 16:30:38 -0500, Illinois Bob
wrote:

I have a problem with the porch roof and supporting pillars...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2exu9ma.jpg

they lean slightly to the right...

politically... it's no problem...

but esthetically... I need a fix...

any ideas?

Well I see it clearly. The right front top is to the right of the
right rear top.

And the center front post leans a little relative to the door frame.

I have very little experience, but I'm not sure how a bad pier would
cause this. But what do I know.

I would measure it carefully and precisely and check every year or 6
months to make sure it's not getting worse. I'd measure dimensions
and the verticality of the posts. I'm not sure which would show a
change first, but I'd try to measure as many things as I could in a
reasonable amount of time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a problem with the porch roof and supporting pillars...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2exu9ma.jpg

they lean slightly to the right...

politically... it's no problem...

but esthetically... I need a fix...

any ideas?

Well I see it clearly. The right front top is to the right of the
right rear top.

And the center front post leans a little relative to the door frame.

I have very little experience, but I'm not sure how a bad pier would
cause this. But what do I know.

I would measure it carefully and precisely and check every year or 6
months to make sure it's not getting worse. I'd measure dimensions
and the verticality of the posts. I'm not sure which would show a
change first, but I'd try to measure as many things as I could in a
reasonable amount of time.

yur right... I don't think a bad pier would cause this.... I don't
know how long this thing has been leaning... it's a recent
discovery... however, it has to be corrected and i'm still in the
dark...

there's a giant tree just to the left and I'm tempted to tie a belt to
it and to the far end of the porch pillar and tighten till it's 2
inches on plumb..... mebby I'm simplyfying this a tad.... but I think
it'll work... with some shims stuck in of course...... but what do I
know.... I'm just a phone man....
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

And you'll leave it that way? That might work. I thought of putting
a cable and turnbuckle in from the left top rear to the top front
right, and from the left front bottom to the top front right, but a) I
don't know who to attach them well enough to actually pull hard
enough, b) they would be ugly when left in place, c) if you wanted to
remove them, I don't know how to keep the porch from going back the
way it was (short of doing something triple ugly, much worse than a
cable from a tree.).

The tree sounds better, if you have to fix this. I would do
measurements as soon as possible. If you see changes in 2 months or
by October, you'll think harder.

it'll work... with some shims stuck in of course...... but what do I
know.... I'm just a phone man....

Call up the porch and ask it what's bothering it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I thought of that too... mebby hiding the gear in the attic of the
porch.... might work.....

remove them, I don't know how to keep the porch from going back the
way it was (short of doing something triple ugly, much worse than a
cable from a tree.).

The tree sounds better, if you have to fix this. I would do
measurements as soon as possible. If you see changes in 2 months or
by October, you'll think harder.

my brain hurts now... can't think what it's gonna be like in October

this is prolly the way it's been since day 1... mebby not... don't
know if'n it's worth the bother....

it'll work... with some shims stuck in of course...... but what do I
know.... I'm just a phone man....

Call up the porch and ask it what's bothering it.

heh!... ok.... ring ring....

thanks fer yur help....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a problem with the porch roof and supporting pillars...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2exu9ma.jpg

they lean slightly to the right...

To outside observers-- but to the occupants they lean left.g

politically... it's no problem...

but esthetically... I need a fix...

any ideas?

My guess is that the roofer leaned a ladder on the left side when all
the sheathing was off. I think you'll do nothing good by trying to
rack it back by brute force.

Do you have pictures of the roofing job- or before?

But I might throw a rope around the roof and tree and see how much it
takes to wiggle the thing-- and if it goes back to its current
position when pressure is released. [I'm talking fractions of an
inch]

If I'm right- then leave it alone until you replace the roof- and
re-do the sheathing.

And if it really bothers you- just re-box the posts with plumb boxes.
I don't think there is enough problem there to create a dangerous
situation. [*if* I'm right- that it is just racked to the right but
the lumber is in good condition]

Jim