Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Garage door opener

A friend needs another garage door opener receiver. He's not using it
to open a garage door, since he doesn't have one, but to turn on
floodlights around his house. The setup came with the house.

Does the receiver include the timer that turns off the light after a
certain time? Or is that part of the mechanical opener itself?

Do people notice the difference beween the radio receiver and the
mechancial opener when they are installing these things.

He found a receiver at a bargain price, but it's just about one square
inch and is equivalent to push buttom switch with a receiver to switch
it and surely doesn't include thne light timer.

If I find a more complete reciever, will it have the light timer in
it, something that will send a second impulse a few minutes later?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:25:59 -0400, mm
wrote:

A friend needs another garage door opener receiver. He's not using it
to open a garage door, since he doesn't have one, but to turn on
floodlights around his house. The setup came with the house.

Does the receiver include the timer that turns off the light after a
certain time? Or is that part of the mechanical opener itself?

Never mind. I found out that it never turned the lights off
automatically. They had one remote in the car and one in the house.

Since they only had the receiver, which controlled a relay, which
controlled a latching relay, they had no timer even before my friend
threw away the receiver since he didn't know what it was.

So we need a receiver with more than one remote. And I found one
already. (He had found one with only one remote at Radio Shack for
only 3 dollars on closeout They had more than one. They might have
one at your local radioshack too, but they've wiped any memory of the
iterm off their webpage, so you would have to go look. This one has a
big remote control, meant for mounting on a wall outside hte garage
and so you have to put in a 4 digit password, a pound sign, and a
number 1 to get it to work. Also a nuisance. A 6 inchees long x 1.5
wide by 1 inch deep. Also a problem. But it' sonly 3 dollars! May
or may not need a power supply for the little receiver, depending on
how the rest of the circuit is wired. If you see one for sale, write
me for details.)

Garage Door Opener Won't Lower Door Fleemo Home Repair 8 October 21st 08 04:44 AM
garage door opener rfofaky Home Repair 4 January 20th 08 05:48 PM
Hum in Garage Door Opener Boyd L Colglazier Home Repair 3 March 13th 07 10:20 AM
Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 04:46 PM
overhead door garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 2 September 17th 06 08:30 PM