DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Septic tank question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281750-septic-tank-question.html)

DS[_3_] July 6th 09 03:01 AM

Septic tank question

Sometimes my water sample comes back with a high bacteria count. I
have started inserting a small chlorine "puck" in the filter case in
the plumbing once a week. Will this put enough chlorine in the system
to upset my septic system. I add an enzyme to the septic system once a
month regardless,
Would bromine be preferable to chlorine?.
(We use the water for boiled applications such as coffee. But we don't
drink it from the tap.)
ds

Robert Neville July 6th 09 02:13 PM

Septic tank question

DS wrote:

Sometimes my water sample comes back with a high bacteria count. I
have started inserting a small chlorine "puck" in the filter case in
the plumbing once a week. Will this put enough chlorine in the system
to upset my septic system.

Depends on the size of the tab and how often you replace it. I'd suggest you
install a small UV purifier instead. Something like these:
http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com...et_systems.htm

I'd also think about getting a well company out to figure out why your well
water is contaminated. Hopefully it's just becase someone opened the cap and
didn't sanitize before closing it.

I add an enzyme to the septic system once a month regardless,

There are plenty of natural bacteria in what's going into the tank for the tank
to operate properly. Most reputable sources (ie the EPA, Universities, etc.)
state that any commercial additive or homemade helper is at best a waste of
money or will make things worse. Any enzyme you put in the tank will not counter
the chlorine - it's the bacteria you want to preserve..

Would bromine be preferable to chlorine?.

No.

(We use the water for boiled applications such as coffee. But we don't
drink it from the tap.)

A UV system will take care of your problem.