Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing - fix urinal piping

House built 1949. Wall hung urinal install 15-20 years ago by myself.
Two problems need fixing:

1 Urinal pipe seems to clog which I undersand is from a buildup of
something in the urine.

2 Sink downpipe is leaking badly so need to change that.

Both urinal and sink run separately into what I recall is a 3 or 4 inch
cast iron downpipe at different directions but at the same level on the
down pipe. Both urinal and sink have separate piping and traps and
screw into separate female openings on the cast iron downpipe.

The sink is an easy fix, just new fittings in black plastic piping.

Urinal I thought because of the potential for problems is to have a
horizontal takeout piece of plastic pipe I can unscrew at both ends so I
can easily clean it out and monitor any buildup if necessary. I suppose
ideally the urinal pipe should be running downhill to the cast iron pipe
but that is not possible so I had to go with a section from urinal to
wall of a horizonatal piece of pipe 6 to 8 inches long. But having said
that, commercially installed urinals appear no different and have a
horizontal distance to travel before leading downhill!

If you any feedback thoughts for improvement, it would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

I know that all urinal pipes are prone to problems with buildup after
many years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Still Just Me. wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 01:13:57 GMT, anonymous
wrote:

[...]

More important question: You have a urinal in your house?

Yeah, no floor mess. No toilet seat problem. It serves its purpose
well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

anonymous wrote:
[...]

Can't you find some double-nasty cleaning stuff to pour down the drain?
Muriatic acid? Lye? Easy-Off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

anonymous wrote:
[...]

Yes, I use muriatic acid and it works well but it is hard on the metal
part of the pipes. I suspect when I install a pull-out section, I can
keep the flow area clear and scraped as well as reduce the use of
muriatic acid. Since the sink and the urinal run into the same downpipe
and the sink drains quickly, it is obvious it is the short urinal pipe
to the wall that is the problem. Add to that in a commerial setting,
the urinal is either flushed constantly automatically or is in heavy
use. In a domestice installation its use may be 3 to 5 times a day so
the urine residue in the pipes can sit for hours causing gradual buildup
and hardening between reflushes.

Urinal for the home Comfy Zone Home Repair 0 May 13th 09 12:11 AM
Urinal for the home Harry L Home Repair 1 May 12th 09 03:29 PM
Urinal James[_4_] UK diy 63 January 12th 08 01:19 PM
Penny in a Urinal [email protected] Home Repair 23 October 25th 07 01:58 PM
Plastic Plumbing Piping Sue Begg UK diy 19 May 18th 05 08:41 PM