Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning a steel roof

I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my
house. I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color
over time. Will chalking occur? Do these roofs sometimes need a
professional cleaning? There's a 40-year warenty on the Valspar
coating.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 6:19*pm, danmc68 wrote:
I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my
house. *I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color
over time. *Will chalking occur? *Do these roofs sometimes need a
professional cleaning? *There's a 40-year warenty on the Valspar
coating.

Thanks!

Paint changes or fades over time, but you probably wont notice it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 3, 6:19*pm, danmc68 wrote:
I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my
house. *I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color
over time. *Will chalking occur? *Do these roofs sometimes need a
professional cleaning? *There's a 40-year warenty on the Valspar
coating.

Thanks!

Just set aside your concerns and focus on mire important matters. The
only repair your roof might need would be wind damage or bullet holes
depending on where you live.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"danmc68" wrote in message
I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my
house. I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color
over time. Will chalking occur? Do these roofs sometimes need a
professional cleaning? There's a 40-year warenty on the Valspar
coating.

What does the warranty cover? Rusting, discoloration, fading, oxidizing,
chalking, peeling? Does the warranty require periodic cleaning, waxing :-) ?
What do the installers say? Do you iron your socks? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

danmc68 wrote:
I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my
house. I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color
over time. Will chalking occur? Do these roofs sometimes need a
professional cleaning? There's a 40-year warenty on the Valspar
coating.

Thanks!

It's probably the same or similar finish as used on automobiles. Therefo

* Fading? Probably not.
* Chalking? No.
* Cleaning? Not as much as a car washing, but, depending on where you live,
stuff from the air will settle.

On the other hand, it's a pretty big chore to wax the roof...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"danmc68" wrote in message
I have a new charcoal colored Galvalume 26-gauge steel roof on my
house. I was wondering if I should expect some fading of the color
over time. Will chalking occur? Do these roofs sometimes need a
professional cleaning? There's a 40-year warenty on the Valspar
coating.

Thanks!

Isn't this something you should have asked the installer "before" buying the
roof?

Cleaning steel siding WDS Home Ownership 0 May 24th 07 03:37 PM
Cleaning stainless steel? donh Home Repair 3 September 4th 06 05:02 AM
Steel cladding roof insulation? -Was Corrugated roof + laser levels Harry Bloomfield UK diy 2 July 20th 06 03:09 PM
Roof cleaning Apropos Home Repair 2 October 1st 05 08:55 PM
Cleaning steel david Metalworking 3 September 1st 04 03:20 AM