Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a 120 volt relay

I'm looking for a cheap 120 volt relay to use with my stereo system.
I've got a receiver that has pre in/main out jumpers and so I've added a
second power amp to it which is a lot more powerful that what's already
built into the receiver. I'm actually powering three rooms of speakers
(8 speakers all told); two sets on the receiver's power amp and 4
speakers in my bedroom off the external power amp.

I want the power to the amp to come on whenever I power up the receiver
but it's a PITA to get to because of the way it's physically installed.

The AC outlet on the back of the receiver is only rated for 100 watts
max. The power amp can draw up to 11 amps so the receiver's AC outlet
isn't going to work.

So what I think I need is a relay. The switched outlet on the back of
the receiver can power the coil and then the relay can handle the power
requirements of the external power amp.

So where can I find such a thing? Ideas?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Rat Shack has 'em if you don't have any other source. You can prolly
find a socket for one there too, or just cut both ends off an extension
cord leaving a few inches of wire on each and solder directly to the
relay's lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049721

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Yeah, Shack has a socket too, but you'll still have to solder to it's lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062476

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Oh yeah, I forgot to say wire both sets of normally open contacts in
parallel, that should take care of the 11 amp peak load OK, since they
prolly won't be switching at peak draw times anyway.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Rat Shack has 'em if you don't have any other source. You can prolly
find a socket for one there too, or just cut both ends off an extension
cord leaving a few inches of wire on each and solder directly to the
relay's lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049721

That one is only good for 10 amps. My amp can draw 11 so I'm really
looking for one rated for 15-20 amps.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4E944

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*I'm thinking that maybe some plug-in modules from SmartHome would work for
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd wrote:
[...]

Get a contactor from Ebay, maybe something like 370220418231

Jon

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

There is a wonderful outfit called FUNCTIONAL DEVICES, INC.
which manufactures some of the most versatile relays I've
ever used. I wish I owned stock.

http://hvac.functionaldevices.com/chartPilot.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mortimer Schnerd" wrote in message
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Rat Shack has 'em if you don't have any other source. You can prolly find
a socket for one there too, or just cut both ends off an extension cord
leaving a few inches of wire on each and solder directly to the relay's
lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049721

That one is only good for 10 amps. My amp can draw 11 so I'm really
looking for one rated for 15-20 amps.

OK.

Above 10 amps or so, it's call a "contactor."

You can get then at an electrical supply house (with either 24 volte or 120
volt coil). If you are cheap, you can "salvage" them from a microwave oven
or a central A/C. It's kinda fun to take apart a dead microwave oven.
You get a transformer suitable for making your own electric chair among
other things. The magnets are a source of some amusement also.

"Contactors" have either screws connections or a "spade" male leads. You
can get the connectors at R/S. Put the whole thing in a box to keep your
cat from getting fried.

Since you only need 11 amps you can consider getting a two pole relay from
R/S with each pole rated for 10 amps. Wire the poles in parallel and you
have a 20 amp relay.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

John Gilmer wrote:
snip
Since you only need 11 amps you can consider getting a two pole relay from
R/S with each pole rated for 10 amps. Wire the poles in parallel and you
have a 20 amp relay.

.... except that one side will invariably connect/open first, so that the
load won't be equally shared and it'll burn out faster than a device
that's designed for 20 amp service.

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Check standby load, it might save you quite a few watts putting
everything on a power strip and cutting power completely when not in
use. I dont know your set up but understand Ohms and polarity when
wiring speakers, improper ohms can damage some amps, reversing
polarity can cut out bass frequencies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cjt wrote:
John Gilmer wrote:
snip
Since you only need 11 amps you can consider getting a two pole relay
from R/S with each pole rated for 10 amps. Wire the poles in
parallel and you have a 20 amp relay.

... except that one side will invariably connect/open first, so that the
load won't be equally shared and it'll burn out faster than a device
that's designed for 20 amp service.

I thought about that last night. I think I found the answer with a
120VAC 15 amp double pole single throw relay from WW Grainger.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetails.shtml

Thanks to everyone who answered. There were several possibilities but
no other cost only $12.80.

I'm off to Grainger's....

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Check standby load, it might save you quite a few watts putting
everything on a power strip and cutting power completely when not in
use. I dont know your set up but understand Ohms and polarity when
wiring speakers, improper ohms can damage some amps, reversing
polarity can cut out bass frequencies.

I have a pretty good understanding of impedance and polarity. Not to
worry; I've been running this combination for some time now with a
different receiver. This new one is the same brand but has the pre in /
main out jumper that the other didn't. I had to use the tape out on the
older receiver to feed the external power amp and then control the
volume with the two pots on the front of it. It was not the ideal
situation but I'm getting there rapidly now.

I have used the external power amp exclusively for the four 12" three
ways that I have in my bedroom for some time now. Each pair is wired
in parallel. The receiver fed the other two rooms with a pair of
speakers in each. So I could control bass/treble in the other rooms but
not my bedroom. I could only control volume and balance there. I still
won't be able to control fade but them's the breaks.

This relay will solve my last annoyance.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 01:41:31 -0500, cjt
wrote:

John Gilmer wrote:
snip
Since you only need 11 amps you can consider getting a two pole relay from
R/S with each pole rated for 10 amps. Wire the poles in parallel and you
have a 20 amp relay.

... except that one side will invariably connect/open first, so that the
load won't be equally shared and it'll burn out faster than a device
that's designed for 20 amp service.

I got one of those relays (from Radio Shack) once. The relay itself
was rated for 10A. The package it came in said 15A.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Rat Shack has 'em if you don't have any other source. You can prolly
find a socket for one there too, or just cut both ends off an
extension cord leaving a few inches of wire on each and solder
directly to the relay's lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049721

Jeff

prolly?

Come oooooon Jeff. You know too much to be 15 yrs old :-)

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Rat Shack has 'em if you don't have any other source. You can prolly
find a socket for one there too, or just cut both ends off an
extension cord leaving a few inches of wire on each and solder
directly to the relay's lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049721

Jeff

prolly?

Come oooooon Jeff. You know too much to be 15 yrs old :-)- Hide quoted text -

I did something very similar to what the OP wants using a DPDT relay
wih the contacts wired in paralell.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd wrote:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetails.shtml

Thanks to everyone who answered. There were several possibilities but
no other cost only $12.80.

I'm off to Grainger's....

Well, I'm back. The assholes were closed for the 4th. Don't those guys
know today is only the 3rd?

That was really annoying.

I have to work 12 hour shifts tomorrow and Sunday. Ask me how I
celebrate the 4th.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2009 6:44 PM Mortimer Schnerd spake thus:

I'm looking for a cheap 120 volt relay to use with my stereo system.
I've got a receiver that has pre in/main out jumpers and so I've added a
second power amp to it which is a lot more powerful that what's already
built into the receiver. I'm actually powering three rooms of speakers
(8 speakers all told); two sets on the receiver's power amp and 4
speakers in my bedroom off the external power amp.

I want the power to the amp to come on whenever I power up the receiver
but it's a PITA to get to because of the way it's physically installed.

The AC outlet on the back of the receiver is only rated for 100 watts
max. The power amp can draw up to 11 amps so the receiver's AC outlet
isn't going to work.

Here's just what you need, for only $2.50:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...RELAY/-/1.html

This one's rated at 40 A, so you should have no problems with it.

And forget Radio Shack, as some other posters have suggested. They're
useless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2009 5:35 AM Hipupchuck spake thus:

If Radio Shack don't have one try All Electronics web site.

See my later posting with link to a 40 A relay:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...RELAY/-/1.html

(And the hell with Radio Shack!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 2:18*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 7/3/2009 5:35 AM Hipupchuck spake thus:

If Radio Shack don't have one try All Electronics web site.

See my later posting with link to a 40 A relay:http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a.../120-VAC-40-AM...

(And the hell with Radio Shack!)

I think the OP wanted a 120vac coil.
I use something like the OP is trying to rig up. I use mine to turn on
my audio sytem whenever I turn on my cable box. Like the OP the outlet
on the cable box wasnt rated but for 100 watts. I have thought about
changing my setup to solidstate relays but have wondered if these may
cause a "noise" problem.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2009 12:03 PM JIMMIE spake thus:

On Jul 3, 2:18 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 7/3/2009 5:35 AM Hipupchuck spake thus:

If Radio Shack don't have one try All Electronics web site.

See my later posting with link to a 40 A relay: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a.../120-VAC-40-AM...

(And the hell with Radio Shack!)

I think the OP wanted a 120vac coil.

Yes. This relay has just that. Look at it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Here's just what you need, for only $2.50:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...RELAY/-/1.html

That is a single pole single throw relay. Don't I need a double pole
single throw relay? Otherwise it'd be perfect.

This one's rated at 40 A, so you should have no problems with it.

And forget Radio Shack, as some other posters have suggested. They're
useless.

I've had very poor luck with their stuff in the past. I only go there
when I'm desperate.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Here's just what you need, for only $2.50:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...RELAY/-/1.html

That is a single pole single throw relay. Don't I need a double pole
single throw relay? Otherwise it'd be perfect.

Not if you hardwire the common (neutral) connector, and use the relay to
switch the hot.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2009 1:08 PM Mortimer Schnerd spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Here's just what you need, for only $2.50:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...RELAY/-/1.html

That is a single pole single throw relay. Don't I need a double pole
single throw relay? Otherwise it'd be perfect.

No. Think of it the same as putting a switch in between the line and the
amplifier, like a light switch. SPST is all you need; just switch the
hot wire and leave the neutral connected. (Of course, you'll need to
determine which side of the socket on the back of your receiver is hot,
but this is easily done with an ohmmeter or continuity tester.)

This one's rated at 40 A, so you should have no problems with it.

And forget Radio Shack, as some other posters have suggested. They're
useless.

I've had very poor luck with their stuff in the past. I only go there
when I'm desperate.

Don't know when the last time you dealt with them was, but I recently
ordered some stuff (a gear motor and some switches), got it promptly
with no problems. Everything was as advertised.

mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

"http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-482/120-VAC-40-AMP-RELAY/-/1.html"

$2.50

Great outfit, I've been ordering from them for many, many years,
including a lot of relays!