Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "What Sherlock did this?"

I thought it might be entertaining to see posts of your favorite
experience with someone else's "Handiwork."

Two of my favorites.

1. My brother and I found voltages of 33 and 66 volts at a house that
someone was fixing up to sell.
2. Telephone wire used to wire up a fluorescent light in a restaurant.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581 wrote:
I thought it might be entertaining to see posts of your favorite
experience with someone else's "Handiwork."

Two of my favorites.

1. My brother and I found voltages of 33 and 66 volts at a house that
someone was fixing up to sell.
2. Telephone wire used to wire up a fluorescent light in a restaurant.

Andy

1. 33, 66, and almost anything else is believable if you don't know how to
use a voltmeter. Just poking the leads in the outlet will easily get bizarre
readings.

2. Telephone wire may very well be sufficient. Depends on the power
requirements of the florescent lamp. I've used bell wire to power 9 watt
porch lights. Works swell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

2. Telephone wire may very well be sufficient. Depends on the power
requirements of the florescent lamp. I've used bell wire to power 9 watt
porch lights. Works swell.

So, what did you tell your insurance company when you had the
electrical fire?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581 wrote:
2. Telephone wire may very well be sufficient. Depends on the power
requirements of the florescent lamp. I've used bell wire to power 9
watt porch lights. Works swell.

So, what did you tell your insurance company when you had the
electrical fire?

That it was the altitude.

No... wait... that was the nosebleed.

Let me think...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 8:30*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
WhiteTea77581 wrote:
2. Telephone wire may very well be sufficient. Depends on the power
requirements of the florescent lamp. I've used bell wire to power 9
watt porch lights. Works swell.

So, what did you tell your insurance company when you had the
electrical fire?

That it was the altitude.

No... wait... that was the nosebleed.

Let me think...

When I wa kid I used bell wire to get electicity to my tree house. I
tworked well for a lamp and radio. It didnt work so well when we tried
to use a hot plate.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:55:19 -0500, in alt.home.repair, "HeyBub"
wrote:

WhiteTea77581 wrote:
I thought it might be entertaining to see posts of your favorite
experience with someone else's "Handiwork."

Two of my favorites.

1. My brother and I found voltages of 33 and 66 volts at a house that
someone was fixing up to sell.
2. Telephone wire used to wire up a fluorescent light in a restaurant.

At work, one of our computer labs was recently remodeled and got these nifty
new computer tables with built-in power and network outlets. On one of
them, our professional commercial electrical contractor managed to connect
the table's ground wire to the hot supply....

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
WhiteTea77581 wrote:
[...]

Many years ago in rural territory here hard drawn twisted copper pair
telephone drop wire (about 12 or 14 AWG) was a favourite for 'a couple
of lights in the barn'.
Then telco started using copper coated steel drop wires. It didn't
like a couple of amps for two 100 watts light bulbs! One story is that
it burnt off spectacularly!
But have never bothered to work out the resistance, voltage drop and/
or current carrying capacity of say, one hundred feet of steel drop
wire to see if there could be any credence to the story!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hotwire from a hotplate?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

When I wa kid I used bell wire to get electicity to my tree
house. I
tworked well for a lamp and radio. It didnt work so well
when we tried
to use a hot plate.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
WhiteTea77581 wrote:
I thought it might be entertaining to see posts of your favorite
experience with someone else's "Handiwork."

Two of my favorites.

1. My brother and I found voltages of 33 and 66 volts at a house that
someone was fixing up to sell.
2. Telephone wire used to wire up a fluorescent light in a restaurant.

Andy

1. 33, 66, and almost anything else is believable if you don't know how to
use a voltmeter. Just poking the leads in the outlet will easily get
bizarre readings.

2. Telephone wire may very well be sufficient. Depends on the power
requirements of the florescent lamp. I've used bell wire to power 9 watt
porch lights. Works swell.

Actually, "telephone wire" should not be used for 120 volt wiring.

The "protection scheme" for US wiring is that the entrance panel circuit
breakers server to protect the WIRE against a fault.

In the worse possible scenario, you could have a long loop of #22 'telephone
wire' that developes a fault at the far end.

The fault would only create, say, a 15 or 20 Amp current which isn't enough
to 'trip' a breaker but is enough to nicely heat up the 'telephone wire' and
set adjacent wood on fire.

It might be marginally safe to use "telephone wire" if the wire is protected
by a fuse or CB to a reasonable current on the order of 1 amp or less.
Otherwise, the "textbook" solution is to power the load from a 24 or 12 volt
transformer that contains within some current limiting feature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 2:39*am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

WhiteTea77581wrote:
[...]