Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusting drip man

I noticed my HVAC drip pan is get a little rust in the middle. Its
made out of galvanized sheet metal and looks like it custom made by
the HVAC installer. The rust spot in the middle is small, maybe 3
inches in diameter but I bet Im looking at $300 or more if I ever have
to replace the thing. I was thinking of pulling it out and soldering
over the spot where the zinc is gone or maybe just paint it with
rustoleum or something.

Any suggestions

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I noticed my HVAC drip pan is get a little rust in the middle. Its
made out of galvanized sheet metal and looks like it custom made by
the HVAC installer. The rust spot in the middle is small, maybe 3
inches in diameter but I bet Im looking at $300 or more if I ever have
to replace the thing. I was thinking of pulling it out and soldering
over the spot where the zinc is gone or maybe just paint it with
rustoleum or something.

Any suggestions

Jimmie

A dab of epoxy smeared around, maybe? Paint doesn't stick to galv worth
a damn.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I noticed my HVAC drip pan is get a little rust in the middle. Its
made out of galvanized sheet metal and looks like it custom made by
the HVAC installer. The rust spot in the middle is small, maybe 3
inches in diameter but I bet Im looking at $300 or more if I ever have
to replace the thing. I was thinking of pulling it out and soldering
over the spot where the zinc is gone or maybe just paint it with
rustoleum or something.

Any suggestions

Look at the plastic pans that are placed under washing machines. You can get
them at the box stores. It may very well fit your evaporator unit and, if
so, you'll never have to worry about rust again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I noticed my HVAC drip pan is get a little rust in the middle. Its
made out of galvanized sheet metal and looks like it custom made by
the HVAC installer. The rust spot in the middle is small, maybe 3
inches in diameter but I bet Im looking at $300 or more if I ever have
to replace the thing. I was thinking of pulling it out and soldering
over the spot where the zinc is gone or maybe just paint it with
rustoleum or something.

Any suggestions

Jimmie

If you can find a product called condensate pan spray at
an HVAC supply house, it would do the trick. I've used
it and had good luck with it.

http://tinyurl.com/lavvhg

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 8:46*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I noticed my HVAC drip pan is get a little rust in the middle. Its
made out of galvanized sheet metal and looks like it custom made by
the HVAC installer. *The rust spot in the middle is small, maybe 3
inches in diameter but I bet Im looking at $300 or more if I ever have
to replace the thing. I was thinking of pulling it out and soldering
over the spot where the zinc is gone or maybe just paint it with
rustoleum or something.

Any suggestions

Rustoleum Hammerite paint is self-priming on steel and can be applied
to rusty surfaces as long as it's not loose rust. It needs a primer
on galvanized surfaces, but you're painting the rusty spot, so I
wouldn't worry about it sticking to the intact surface. The rust is
presumably starting at the low spot in the pan, so if you take care of
that, you won't have to worry about the rust spreading. If it does
happen to spread, just spray some more Hammerite on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 7:46*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I noticed my HVAC drip pan is get a little rust in the middle. Its
made out of galvanized sheet metal and looks like it custom made by
the HVAC installer. *The rust spot in the middle is small, maybe 3
inches in diameter but I bet Im looking at $300 or more if I ever have
to replace the thing. I was thinking of pulling it out and soldering
over the spot where the zinc is gone or maybe just paint it with
rustoleum or something.

Any suggestions

Jimmie

Ive used JB weld to fix a car radiator , its lasted 4 years, paint
might not even stop rust from growing. How about a quart of silicone
tool handle coating, it would give a coat of rubber in 5 minutes work
to the whole tray.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I noticed my HVAC drip pan is get a little rust in the middle. Its
made out of galvanized sheet metal and looks like it custom made by
the HVAC installer. The rust spot in the middle is small, maybe 3
inches in diameter but I bet Im looking at $300 or more if I ever have
to replace the thing. I was thinking of pulling it out and soldering
over the spot where the zinc is gone or maybe just paint it with
rustoleum or something.

Any suggestions

Jimmie

The suggestion of a plastic pan is the way to go if you want to replace
it, but spraying the inside of such a steel pan with automobile
undercoating will protect it from rust for several years. This far more
effective than the zinc coating applied.