Posted to alt.home.repair

Default refrigerator gurgling/knocking/popping "normal"?!?

Bought a Kenmore bottom-freezer fridge/freezer last November, and
since the day it was delivered it has made a noise when the compressor
kicks on that sounds like syncopated knocking or popping noises. It
almost sounds like "hard" bubbles popping inside a pressurized plastic
line, if that makes sense.

I had Sears' home service out to look at the unit, and the tech said
it's part of the new (worse) design, something about the way two
plastic lines of differing inside diameters are joined together and
the pressure difference. I specifically asked if this could cause wear
problems down the line with the compressor or other parts of the
cooling system and he said "no".

Not for nothing, but I don't believe the guy. After 40 years of
refrigerators whose only sound is the fan, I have to put up with a
refrigerator that knocks like my car's engine when I forget to put
premium gas in the tank? That's either a crock of poo, or the dumbest
damned design idea.

Is the guy right? Does anyone have experience with new 'fridges making
these noises? Am I going to have to suck it up and put up with hearing
the noise from my bedroom in the middle of the night? Or should I call
a local (reliable) appliance repair place and have them check it out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Kyle wrote:

[...]

I bought a new fridge about 10 years ago. Maytag, standard top freezer,
no icemaker or other gadgets. Consumer Reports had rated it the quietest
model. It made that exact noise.

I called the dealer and they said they could come out and install a
"quiet kit." But they admitted it wouldn't stop the noise, just muffle
it some. I never got around to making the appointment.

The noise annoyed the hell out of me for six months. Then I stopped
noticing it. I could say I got used to it, and maybe that's true, but I
actually think the noise stopped, or at least doesn't happen very often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle" wrote in message
Bought a Kenmore bottom-freezer fridge/freezer last November, and
since the day it was delivered it has made a noise when the compressor
kicks on that sounds like syncopated knocking or popping noises. It
almost sounds like "hard" bubbles popping inside a pressurized plastic
line, if that makes sense.

I had Sears' home service out to look at the unit, and the tech said
it's part of the new (worse) design, something about the way two
plastic lines of differing inside diameters are joined together and
the pressure difference. I specifically asked if this could cause wear
problems down the line with the compressor or other parts of the
cooling system and he said "no".

I've heard some of the newer units and th ey are noisy compared to the old
stuff. I don't know if the reason given was correct or not though, but
gurgling seems quite common.

Am I going to have to suck it up and put up with hearing
the noise from my bedroom in the middle of the night?

Why is the refrigerator in your bedroom? Put it in the kitchen and you'll
find it easier to cook too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I griped

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Why is the refrigerator in your bedroom? * Put it in the kitchen and you'll
find it easier to cook too.

You'd think I would know better, since there's more room in the
kitchen than the bedroom. But when I get that craving for a bowl of
Barbara's Cinnamon Puffins at 3AM, I don't want to have to stumble the
12 steps to the kitchen to get it if I can reach out from my bed to
the 'fridge.

Or, alternately, I could work on my lack of grammar skills!
Posted to alt.home.repair

edmi0002 wrote:
edmi0002 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...al-381927-.htm
:
Hello,

I think I may have the same thing with a GE Hotpoint top freezer. A
popping ish sound whenever I guess the compressor kicks on. Its model
HTS17GBSWW. I got zero help from GE's 'support' line, they just read off a
sheet saying what that some noises are normal operation, they didn't have
anyone that would listen to the sound back on recording.

I don't want to pay 100 bucks to have someone come out and then it doesn't
kick on when they happen to arrive. This can't be normal sound can it? I
have never heard a refrigerator make this noise before.

GE sucks!

Kyle wrote:

[...]

Amana (Maytag) does it too. Sometimes it's pretty
LOUD!

It's perfectly normal. Nothing to see here folks.
Move along.

--Winston