Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! Measurements....

MICHELLE H. wrote:
The entire yard/house is on 0.11 acres. The property measurements for
our entire lot/yard is 50 feet x 100 feet. We have 50 feet in front. 50
feet in back, and 100 feet on the sides of our property.

So thats it, its official, our Scotts Drop Spreader must have
malfunctioned, and even though it was set at 5.5, it must have came out
at like a 10 or 11!?

Well, I guess its going straight to the curb for trash pickup in a few
days, and we have to invest in a new one!!!

Everyone says to invest in a "rotary type" spreader, but is a "rotary
spreader" really that good for our SMALL lawn??? I always thought that
drop spreaders were good for small lawns, and rotary spreaders are
better for bigger lawns???

I don't remember what the setting number pertains to, but you still
don't seem to be using the right calculation. First, if the entire lot,
WITH HOUSE, is about 5000 sq. ft., you need to consider the lot size
MINUS the area of the house, driveway, flowerbeds, etc.

If you take the actual area you covered, you will know how much you
applied with the setting at 5.5. I would try, next time, setting it at
about 1.5 and cover the lawn going both ways - small enough to repeat if
needed as it is better to apply too little than too much. You may also
want to avoid any fertilizer until your grass starts looking a little
pale (not as deep green). A drop spreader might be better if you have
hedges or flower beds that you don't want to throw herbicides into.
Also, liquid herbicides or insecticides sometimes go on better with a
hose-end sprayer, as you can hit only the areas that need it and you are
done.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MICHELLE H. wrote:
The entire yard/house is on 0.11 acres. The property measurements for
our entire lot/yard is 50 feet x 100 feet. We have 50 feet in front. 50
feet in back, and 100 feet on the sides of our property.

So thats it, its official, our Scotts Drop Spreader must have
malfunctioned, and even though it was set at 5.5, it must have came out
at like a 10 or 11!?

I'd say it's more likely it wasn't _really_ at the setting thought it
was than there's anything fundamentally irreparable about it.

All the numbers are for are a starting guide -- you should _always_
start low and measure an area and calibrate-in the actual drop rate.

There's no guarantee if you toss this and spend the $$ the brand new one
won't do the same if you don't pay attention to it more closely than
apparently you and hubby have done...starting w/ figuring out how much
you should actually use _before_ starting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:49:04 -0400, Still Just Me...
wrote:

The drop is much more accurate - as long as you don't miss anyplace - then you get
stripes.

...and burns on the turns.. unless one pays attention..
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
All in all it is a pretty good lesson learned all around.

I've _NO_ confidence there's been any learning,
unfortunately...certainly little if any indication of it, anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

One thing that *I* haven't learned from the tale is how someone could
know that they have 0.11 acres but have no idea how many square feet
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
dpb wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
All in all it is a pretty good lesson learned all around.

I've _NO_ confidence there's been any learning,
unfortunately...certainly little if any indication of it, anyway.

--

One thing that *I* haven't learned from the tale is how someone could
know that they have 0.11 acres but have no idea how many square feet
they have.

Or, even worse, how someone could know the exact dimensions of the lot, but
still have no idea of the square footage -- and be completely unaware that two
bags rated to cover 5,000 sf each is waaaaaaay too much for a 50x100-foot lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
dpb wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
All in all it is a pretty good lesson learned all around.

I've _NO_ confidence there's been any learning,
unfortunately...certainly little if any indication of it, anyway.

--

One thing that *I* haven't learned from the tale is how someone could
know that they have 0.11 acres but have no idea how many square feet
they have.

Tax bill? Square feet of lawn is pretty irrelevant until you need to
treat or replace it. Or both. )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
dpb wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
All in all it is a pretty good lesson learned all around.
I've _NO_ confidence there's been any learning,
unfortunately...certainly little if any indication of it, anyway.

--

One thing that *I* haven't learned from the tale is how someone could
know that they have 0.11 acres but have no idea how many square feet
they have.

Or, even worse, how someone could know the exact dimensions of the lot, but
still have no idea of the square footage -- and be completely unaware that two
bags rated to cover 5,000 sf each is waaaaaaay too much for a 50x100-foot lot.

Only reason I know the rough area of our condo lawn is because we used
enough stuff to cover 25,000 sq. ft. Got the dimensions somewhere, but
I would have to hire a physicist to figure out what is left after
pavement, building, hedges, etc. There was some kind of song and dance
for callibrating our spreader, but my memory isn't so good these days
(all taken up with remembering internet passwords and bank pin numbers
and grandkids birthdays )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 11:03*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
The entire yard/house is on 0.11 acres. The property measurements for
our entire lot/yard is 50 feet x 100 feet. We have 50 feet in front. 50
feet in back, and 100 feet on the sides of our property. *

So thats it, its official, our Scotts Drop Spreader must have
malfunctioned, and even though it was set at 5.5, it must have came out
at like a 10 or 11!?

Well, I guess its going straight to the curb for trash pickup in a few
days, and we have to invest in a new one!!!

Everyone says to invest in a "rotary type" spreader, but is a "rotary
spreader" really that good for our SMALL lawn??? I always thought that
drop spreaders were good for small lawns, and rotary spreaders are
better for bigger lawns???

Just calibrate it dont junk it. But why are you using a drop unit for
that much land, or maybe you are not it is a rotary unit, are you sure
its not rotary, my cheapo scotts rotary does near 4x as much in one
pass as a drop unit, so I walk 75% less. I called scotts to calibrate
mine as it came set to high [ Scotts makes alot more money this way]
Best is calibrate and underfeed always, that "scotts system" of a bag
a season is unessary in my opinion for most. Actualy for many, and me,
lawn treatments are a scam. Best is mulch grass, and mulch leaves and
you are fertilised and done, You still didnt remove the house and
everything else from your sq ft figures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , ransley wrote:

Just calibrate it dont junk it. But why are you using a drop unit for
that much land,

"that much"?? 50x100 is a *small* lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 3, 9:52*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , ransley wrote:

Just calibrate it dont junk it. But why are you using a drop unit for
that much land,

"that much"?? 50x100 is a *small* lot.

For a drop spreader its alot, a rotary scotts will only need 25% the
walking and be easier to get even work.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

In article , ransley wrote:

Just calibrate it dont junk it. But why are you using a drop unit for
that much land,

"that much"?? 50x100 is a *small* lot.

For a drop spreader its alot, a rotary scotts will only need 25% the
walking and be easier to get even work.

Time you take out the house, driveway and other non-lawn areas there
won't be enough space left of that lot to get a full head of steam up to
get the rotary to spin and half the product will end up either in the
street, on the neighbor's yard or the driveway.

You could effectively fertilize/seed/whatever that area w/ hand casting
by the time you got the spreader filled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

replying to MICHELLE H., Alan wrote:
It killed my lawn as well. The product is WEED KILLER it does not feed
anything, there are countless killed lawn stories on the met regarding SCOTTS
weed and feed. THEE COMPANY NEEDS TO HAVE A LAWSUIT against them . It is WEED
KILLER and will kill your lawn, it is falsely advertised

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...lp-381815-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:44:06 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
replying to MICHELLE H., Alan wrote:
It killed my lawn as well. The product is WEED KILLER it does not feed
anything, there are countless killed lawn stories on the met regarding SCOTTS
weed and feed. THEE COMPANY NEEDS TO HAVE A LAWSUIT against them . It is WEED
KILLER and will kill your lawn, it is falsely advertised

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...lp-381815-.htm

It doesn't claim to feed anything, it's weed killer, not fertilizer or a
weed-and-feed product. I've never used any of those products. For weeds,
I use a tank sprayer and a weed killer for turfgrass. That puts the product
where it's needed instead of spewing it over the whole lawn. Even if you're
lawn was full of weeds, I think any granular weed killer is a bad idea.
It depends on contact, on the particles sticking to the weeds and that's
dubious at best. Spray it on and you know it's on there.