Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Vent Problem

My electric dryer is backed up to an outside wall. I am having heck of a
time getting a vent to seal tightly. When the dryer is in place, the
vent outlet almost touches the outside wall. I'm thinking I may have to
attach a 6" vent pipe to the dryer and then push the dryer in place
while guiding the pipe through the wall. Then I would need to put the
flapper on the pipe sticking through the wall.

Is there an easier way? Is there some sort of wall mounted receptacle
that allows the dryer to be push up to it without having to physically
connect a vent pipe?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is backed up to an outside wall. I am having heck of a
time getting a vent to seal tightly. When the dryer is in place, the
vent outlet almost touches the outside wall. I'm thinking I may have to
attach a 6" vent pipe to the dryer and then push the dryer in place
while guiding the pipe through the wall. Then I would need to put the
flapper on the pipe sticking through the wall.

Is there an easier way? Is there some sort of wall mounted receptacle
that allows the dryer to be push up to it without having to physically
connect a vent pipe?

In one house I aligned the exhaust outlet precisely from the dryer
outlet (was remodeling at the time so it was no additional effort) and
used a straight section of rigid duct. Took a little maneuvering to get
it on, but doable. (Never had to deal w/ issue of a different dryer... )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:

My electric dryer is backed up to an outside wall. I am having heck of a
time getting a vent to seal tightly. When the dryer is in place, the
vent outlet almost touches the outside wall. I'm thinking I may have to
attach a 6" vent pipe to the dryer and then push the dryer in place
while guiding the pipe through the wall. Then I would need to put the
flapper on the pipe sticking through the wall.

Is there an easier way? Is there some sort of wall mounted receptacle
that allows the dryer to be push up to it without having to physically
connect a vent pipe?

I had a similar problem just a couple of months back. I spent about an
hour in the dryer vent section of H.D., looking at various gadgets. I
finally settled on a *metal* accordion type duct. I only used about 1/3
of the supplied length. I found this stuff will conform to tight corners
only if you extend it first. That's the way it's meant to be used.

My situation may vary from yours in that the dryer outlet and the vent
weren't lined up. So I made a long "S" bend. I was able to leave the
dryer about two feet away from the wall while I made the connections,
then just pushed the dryer carefully into place. In your situation, if
the outlet and vent are lined up, you may be able to use the same stuff,
and just let the accordion close as you move the dryer into place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 11:29*am, mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is backed up to an outside wall. I am having heck of a
time getting a vent to seal tightly. When the dryer is in place, the
vent outlet almost touches the outside wall. I'm thinking I may have to
attach a 6" vent pipe to the dryer and then push the dryer in place
while guiding the pipe through the wall. Then I would need to put the
flapper on the pipe sticking through the wall.

Is there an easier way? Is there some sort of wall mounted receptacle
that allows the dryer to be push up to it without having to physically
connect a vent pipe?

"I'm thinking I may have to attach a 6" vent pipe to the dryer and
then push the dryer in place while guiding the pipe through the wall.
Then I would need to put the flapper on the pipe sticking through the
wall."

What's wrong with this solution?

If things actually line up as you say, this seems perfectly reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 1, 10:29*am, mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is backed up to an outside wall. I am having heck of a
time getting a vent to seal tightly.

snip

Installation usually goes well with precision location of the wall
duct. Center the rear dryer leveling screws to determine the height
off the floor where the new duct must be. Install duct/flapper, etc.,
with a slight slope downward to the outside. If you've done it right,
a short piece of well crimped duct fastened to the dryer outlet will
slide right in place, Some fiddling with leveling screws might be
needed. You're smart to have the dryer vent that way and not
compromise performance with a convoluted long duct run.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

That's just what I've done with mine for the past 23 years (and two dryers).

I used a piece of that accordion duct about 18" long fully extended and
it compresses down to about one inch long when the dryer is pushed
towards the wall as far as it will go.

I did stick a piece of black electrical tape on the top of the dryer's
panel and another piece on the wall, lined up with it, so I can easily
notice if the dryer were to get moved sideways.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

Is there some sort of wall mounted receptacle
that allows the dryer to be push up to it without having to physically
connect a vent pipe?

Yes. In new construction they frequently use a recessed box with the wall
portion of the rigid vent pipe dropping from the top of the recess. When you
metal flex vent, there's enough room to back the dryer up after it's connected.

DRYER HI LIMIT THERMOSTAT SHUTS OFF==NOT A VENT PROBLEM [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 7th 07 09:44 AM
Dryer vent problem [email protected] Home Repair 13 July 13th 06 01:24 AM
dryer vent Steve Home Repair 5 August 29th 05 03:46 AM
new Maytag dryer clogs dryer vent shedmeister Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 09:40 PM