Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing 24" washer dryer replacement for condo closet how do youhook it up???

I'm replacing a washer and dryer in a 30" condo closet.
The current one is 24" wide stacked one piece combo unit and sits in a
metal tray. I'm trying to figure out
how the heavy old unit would be lifted and removed from the closet as
well as how the new unit would be connected because of the confined
30" width of the closet. Has anyone had experience with this???
Thanks for your help!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"victor" wrote in message
I'm replacing a washer and dryer in a 30" condo closet.
The current one is 24" wide stacked one piece combo unit and sits in a
metal tray. I'm trying to figure out
how the heavy old unit would be lifted and removed from the closet as
well as how the new unit would be connected because of the confined
30" width of the closet. Has anyone had experience with this???
Thanks for your help!!

they obviously built the house around the washer. i'm afraid you'll have to
deconstruct the surrounding walls to get it out and the next one hooked up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"victor" wrote in message
I'm replacing a washer and dryer in a 30" condo closet.
The current one is 24" wide stacked one piece combo unit and sits in a
metal tray. I'm trying to figure out
how the heavy old unit would be lifted and removed from the closet as
well as how the new unit would be connected because of the confined
30" width of the closet. Has anyone had experience with this???
Thanks for your help!!

*I do a lot of work in condos and have seen and heard about this problem
many times from customers. It is a royal PIA to change out these machines.
Finding new ones to fit in the existing space is difficult. Making your
connections for water and dryer duct isn't easy. What I have found around
here is that the original combo units were hard wired. Consequently a
receptacle must be installed for the new combo unit or separate receptacles
for each machine.

You should remove the door to the closet and try taking the dryer apart and
off the top. That will make it easier to get the washing machine out of the
tray. I have seen new separate units that are made to be stacked so that
they can be installed one at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"victor" wrote in message
I'm replacing a washer and dryer in a 30" condo closet.
The current one is 24" wide stacked one piece combo unit and sits in a
metal tray. I'm trying to figure out
how the heavy old unit would be lifted and removed from the closet as
well as how the new unit would be connected because of the confined
30" width of the closet. Has anyone had experience with this???
Thanks for your help!!

Usually the one piece stacked units have a removable panel held by a couple
of screws between the washer below and the dryer above. Remove that and you
can reach through to unhook the electric and water. Easy to lift the whole
unit out then.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"victor" wrote in message
I'm replacing a washer and dryer in a 30" condo closet.
The current one is 24" wide stacked one piece combo unit and sits in a
metal tray. I'm trying to figure out
how the heavy old unit would be lifted and removed from the closet as
well as how the new unit would be connected because of the confined
30" width of the closet. Has anyone had experience with this???
Thanks for your help!!

I had to remove a combo unit to replace both the upper vent hose and one of
the water hoses. Once I took the closet door off it turned out to be
relatively easy to move the whole unit. It looked heavier that it actually
was--I just basically walked it out far enough to do the repair work.
MLD