Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad bushings or capacitor dinasour rheem

yup its old needs replaced saving money for that cause it involves a
crane and paul bunyon, ac lines replaced and furnace too.
meanwhile a repair to limp along til I get a loan or?
original issue no cold air and fuses blowing
After cleaning coils and compressor, replacing seals and recharging,
the fuses don't seem to be blowing anymore and worked like a dream for
2 days then back to no blowing with no cold air, but no blown fuses.
Course its hard to tell if the motors seizing ( not sure this is
happening) before they blow.
Now no cold air. blower works. Ampage overage noted by one tech.
Three professional techs say its motor bushings
One professional senior says its capacitor
two phase unit
rheem ac model #RCAA-080A SN#CN3D108-M1879-7816
Rheem furnace model#RACA024AAG SN#1177-F2579-3364

could bad bushings contribute to capacitor fail ?

yea been trying to resolve this since mid may am into it $430 already
for 7 lbs of freon or would go with another ac company ( who also
quoted me just $3700 for ac and furnace replacement )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 7:03*am, starmelt wrote:
yup its old needs replaced saving money for that cause it involves a
crane and paul bunyon, ac lines replaced and furnace too.
meanwhile a repair to limp along til I get a loan or?
original issue no cold air and fuses blowing
After cleaning coils and compressor, replacing seals and recharging,
the fuses don't seem to be blowing anymore and worked like a dream for
2 days then back to no blowing with no cold air, but no blown fuses.
Course its hard to tell if the motors seizing ( not sure this is
happening) before they blow.
Now no cold air. blower works. Ampage overage noted by one tech.
Three professional techs say its motor bushings
One professional senior says its capacitor
two phase unit
rheem ac model #RCAA-080A *SN#CN3D108-M1879-7816
Rheem furnace model#RACA024AAG *SN#1177-F2579-3364

could bad bushings contribute to capacitor fail ?h

yea been trying to resolve this since mid may am into it $430 already
for 7 lbs of freon or would go with another ac company ( who also
quoted me just $3700 for ac and furnace replacement )

This is a prize example of how you can easily stuff tons of money into
an old system hoping it will get you by ; it was not money wisely
spent. If you dont have the cash available, there is always a Home
Equity line of credit or borrow money from family for a replacement
system. Youve got nearly $500 in the unit and still have other parts
that can and will fail soon as its way beyond its life expectancy.
Its not 'bad bushings' that could be contributing to the
problem...its bad BEARINGS inside the Compressor that could be the
cause of over amperage. Yes, it can cause a capacitor to fail but so
can too high an incoming voltage , vibration, and/or age. The unit
should have been replaced a long time ago ; instead, it has now become
a crisis for you with hot weather here. What will be your next step ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

starmelt wrote:
[...]

There's an underground HVAC economy out there. My son's neighbor is a
Guatemalan who does handy-man type work. He, in turn, had a buddy that
moonlighted doing HVAC stuff. That buddy had another friend who made a
market in used A/C equipment.

Bottom line: My 15-year-old, 3-ton Trane, which took a hit during hurricane
Yikes, popping the compressor, was swapped out for a two-year-old Rudd. My
cost: $650.00 (no tax). Actually less, since I'll get something for the
aluminum in the condensing unit when I get around to hauling it to the junk
collector.

Now how to intersect this underground economy may be a bit of a problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I'd replace, the efficiency difference would pay you back if you
intend to continue living there.
I also would check to see just how much difference there is to get the
even more efficient models, it might not be that much.
When we were faced with the same problem, The 96% furnace and 18 seer
A/C kicked the bill up about 1/3, but will speed the payback in spite
of making the amount to recover higher.
I don't see energy going cheaper, the nutjobs in Washington seem to
delight in passing stuff to make it even more costly, it's for the
children.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 9:48*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
starmelt wrote:
[...]

Now how to intersect this underground economy may be a bit of a problem....- Hide quoted text -

And so will getting them to give you any kind of a warranty . Theres a
good reason why companies charge what they do. Plus, who knows if it
was done correctly even though it is currently running and cooling
your home. You may have a breakdown soon ...especially if the
Underground HVAC buddys didnt own a Vaccuum Pump and put it on the
system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SNIP
One professional senior says its capacitor
two phase unit
rheem ac model #RCAA-080A SN#CN3D108-M1879-7816
Rheem furnace model#RACA024AAG SN#1177-F2579-3364

SNIP

You have the numbers backwards
You have an 80,000 btu furnace and a 2 ton condensing unit

Both were manufactured in 1979

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow so great Thank you for your time and feedback Illbebauck, Heybub,
Eric, Bigbob.
Yea really everything needs replaced at once due to the line
replacement. but broke sooo
Today owner of the company came out ( they do commercial mostly )
with tech and said the disconnect was "not holding the fuses" they
replaced it at no charge. They were going to credit me back the ac
repair if I even just installed the furnace.
The mighty aged beast hath risen, for the moment.
6 visits total from 3 companies and almost a different diagnosis each
time.
Meanwhile yea no home equity loan has been landed yet but has been in
the works so learning to save fast.
I copied the ac vs furnace info - le tech wrote it down wrong ha just
goes to show thanks for pointing that out will note its flipped!
We laughed when he told us it was from 1979 - can you remember where
you were then?
I want to sell within a year and
a. get off the grid
b. get off the grid
c. get off the grid
waiting for those magnetic generators or maybe ill go with the solar
panels and wind
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 6:03*am, starmelt wrote:
[...]

AC still working great new Disconnect did it ... saving for that furnace in Sept