Posted to alt.home.repair

Default condenser unit sweating

I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is sweating
and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more insulation help?
Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the blower fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:22:00 -0400, Phisherman wrote:
I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is sweating
and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more insulation help?
Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the blower fan.

It is normal for a condensor to gather water from the air. It'll have a drain
and that is where your problem lies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 3:47*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:22:00 -0400, Phisherman wrote:
I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is sweating
and water is dripping onto the floor. * Will more insulation help?
Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the blower fan.

It is normal for a condensor to gather water from the air. *It'll have a drain
and that is where your problem lies.

The condensor is outside, the evaporator is in the basement/
furnace!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 5:03*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
The condensor is outside, the evaporator is in the basement/
furnace!!!!!

Yes, and it's the evaporator, not the the condenser that gathers
water. (If the evaporator IS in the basement OR is sweating, he has
bigger problems.) As "AZ Nomad" said, there should be some sort of
drain that is probably clogged.

Phisherman, could you clarify what you mean by adding more insulation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

I had one leaking a few years ago and the drain pan had rusted through
in a few places with the same result .. .. water ALL over the floor.
The guys at work fabricated one for me out of stainless .. .. THAT will
never leak !! !! !!

Phisherman wrote:
I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is sweating
and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more insulation help?
Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the blower fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 30 Jun 2009 01:22:00p, Phisherman told us...

I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is sweating
and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more insulation help?
Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the blower fan.

I doubt insulation is the issue. More likely the drain line from the drain
pan under the condenser is either clogged or the drain pan has deteriorated
and formed a leak.

If the former, the line is easily cleaned out. If the latter, depending on
the degree of deterioration, you may be able to repair it with liquid solder
or bondo. If the deterioration is extensive, you may need a new draiin pan.

FWIW, I once lived in a condo where the drain line clogged with some
frequency. I usually cleaned it out at least 2-3 times each cooling season.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue ~green meat, that’s bad for

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Phisherman wrote:

My bad. It is the evaporator in the basement and located above the
furnace. There is a PVC drain, and I checked that there is water
flowing through the pipe to the outdoors. The outside of the
evaporator is cold, wet and dripping on all sides when the A/C is
turned on.

Too much humidity in the basement. Run a dehumidifier, or add a cold-air
return in the basement so that some of that humid air is sucked through the
evaporator and dehumdified.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"__ Bøb __" wrote:
I had one leaking a few years ago and the drain pan had rusted through
in a few places with the same result .. .. water ALL over the floor.
The guys at work fabricated one for me out of stainless .. .. THAT
will never leak !! !! !!

Mine, too, gave it up. I got one of those PVC pans you put under washing
machines. Works swell and it'll last forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your condensor is sweatting, there is definitely
something wrong. You really need to call a HVAC pro.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that is
sweating
and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more insulation
help?
Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the
blower fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your condensor is gathering water from the air, you need
to call a priest, immediately.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
I have an central A/C condenser unit in the basement that
is sweating
and water is dripping onto the floor. Will more
insulation help?
Currently, I have turned off the A/C and just running the
blower fan.

It is normal for a condensor to gather water from the air.
It'll have a drain
and that is where your problem lies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. What? Someone who knows something? How strange.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message news:ece48041-7247-4ade-bdc1-

The condensor is outside, the evaporator is in the basement/
furnace!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've done that kind of thing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

add a cold-air
return in the basement so that some of that humid air is
sucked through the
evaporator and dehumdified.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 22:09:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

If your condensor is gathering water from the air, you need
to call a priest, immediately.

To do an exorcism on my ac. But seriously, I put an insulation
foil-backed blanket around the evaporator housing this morning and
sealed all edges using foil tape. So far, everything is dry, no
sweating at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds totally effective. Way to go, chief!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus