Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central Air Unit Not Cooling House

I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside
(can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that
there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a
few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

--
brendan mowgli
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:30:57 -0500, brendan mowgli
BrendanMowgli[at]gmail[dot]com wrote:

I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside
(can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that
there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a
few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

It could be many different things. I would guess from your
technological language (thingamabob) that it might be best in this
case to contact a local professional to check out the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 5:30*am, brendan mowgli BrendanMowgli[at]gmail[dot]com
wrote:
I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside
(can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that
there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a
few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

--
brendan mowgli

So long as you have power to the a/c unit outside and its making
noises...theres nothing more you can do to remedy the situation. Not
all servicemen are rapists ; dont label them all like that because of
some that are. There are ripoffs in virtually EVERY line of work --
particularly white collar .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Take your tester, and see if it's getting power. Note: Don't
open any cover boxes, or take off any metal panels, while
doing thing. From your post, it sounds like you aren't very
repair skilled, and there's no sense getting hurt.

Then, call your friends and neighbors. See which HVAC
service company they use, and which one has been honest in
the past.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"brendan mowgli" BrendanMowgli[at]gmail[dot]com wrote in
message
I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the
thingamabob outside
(can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I
did notice that
there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something
else. Is there a
few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean
the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

--
brendan mowgli

Posted to alt.home.repair

It HAS to be getting power, as he said the inside blower and outside
"unit" (compressor) are both running. They will not run without power...

most likely , or most common, problem is that the system needs freon.

James

----------------
Take your tester, and see if it's getting power. Note: Don't
open any cover boxes, or take off any metal panels, while
doing thing. From your post, it sounds like you aren't very
repair skilled, and there's no sense getting hurt.

Then, call your friends and neighbors. See which HVAC
service company they use, and which one has been honest in
the past.

--
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

James wrote:

It HAS to be getting power, as he said the inside blower and outside
"unit" (compressor) are both running. They will not run without power...

My guess is the outside fan, but not the compressor, is running.

most likely , or most common, problem is that the system needs freon.

James

----------------
Take your tester, and see if it's getting power. Note: Don't
open any cover boxes, or take off any metal panels, while
doing thing. From your post, it sounds like you aren't very
repair skilled, and there's no sense getting hurt.

Then, call your friends and neighbors. See which HVAC
service company they use, and which one has been honest in
the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cjt wrote:

It HAS to be getting power, as he said the inside blower and outside
"unit" (compressor) are both running. They will not run without
power...

My guess is the outside fan, but not the compressor, is running.

most likely , or most common, problem is that the system needs freon.

Or that the capacitor has died, as happened to ours recently. The clue
was that the house lights kept dimming briefly as the compressor tried
to start but then quit. The fan was running just fine.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

" Or that the capacitor has died, as happened to ours recently.

Why does everybody around here yell capacitor? Maybe I should empty all the
other parts out of my service truck and just stock caps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Bob wrote:

" Or that the capacitor has died, as happened to ours recently.

Why does everybody around here yell capacitor? Maybe I should empty all
the other parts out of my service truck and just stock caps.

You could also stock enough resistors, ceramic/electrolytic
capacitors, transistors and integrated circuits to repair
all those control boards. *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

THERMOSTAT!!!!!!!!!

(Hope you're feeling better, now, buddy.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Big Bob" wrote in message

" Or that the capacitor has died, as happened to ours
recently.

Why does everybody around here yell capacitor? Maybe I
should empty all the
other parts out of my service truck and just stock caps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you get stuck with the worst hack out there,
he rapes you for a few thousand ,
and then it breaks again 2 days later.
Bubba

There would be less name calling and negative attitudes from home owners
if the HVAC "pros"
charged a fair price rather than whatever the market will bear and then
some.

I had my central A/C installed by a HVAC pro,
he retired,
sold out to a mega HVAC company hack,
and I saw first hand the dark side of the trade.

I don't think I'd ever give my business to anyone named "bubba"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:30:57 -0500, brendan mowgli
BrendanMowgli[at]gmail[dot]com wrote:

I have 2 units- one upstairs and one downstairs-

The upstairs is blowing- I feel the air blowing- the thingamabob outside
(can't think of the name) is operating, but no cold air. I did notice that
there's no water being pumped out.

I hear its the compressor, but hopefully it's something else. Is there a
few other checks I can do before I call the rapis- I mean the HVAC guy?

Thanks!

I hope you get stuck with the worst hack out there,
he rapes you for a few thousand ,
and then it breaks again 2 days later.
Bubba

U R Meen. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Stone wrote:

I hope you get stuck with the worst hack out there,
he rapes you for a few thousand ,
and then it breaks again 2 days later.
Bubba

There would be less name calling and negative attitudes from home owners
if the HVAC "pros"
charged a fair price rather than whatever the market will bear and then
some.

I had my central A/C installed by a HVAC pro,
he retired,
sold out to a mega HVAC company hack,
and I saw first hand the dark side of the trade.

I don't think I'd ever give my business to anyone named "bubba"

Believe me, the names of the thieves gets out there
quickly. If all the HVAC techs you talk to mention
one company, you can bet on that outfit being real
crooks. Most of the time a tech won't badmouth another
company. You may hear, "Yea, I know them, they're
high(expensive)." Large companies with shiny new trucks
have a high overhead and higher prices. The larger
companies get customers with a low service call price
but hook them into a service contract which may wind
up costing the customer more money in the long run.
Me and my friends especially despise companies that
prey on old folks. I know of one guy who laughed at
an old couple he sold a new system to, the only problem
with their old system was a loose blower door. There's
a fellow in Maryland who has a good website with a lot
of practical information.

http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/

TDD