Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Bats (and I don't mean baseball)

I have some bats in the attic of a house I own. I'm not sure how many
but it's a colony. I guess it's breeding season so there's some young-
uns. I don't give a **** about them but I guess the exterminators
do. If it were up to me, the removal process would involve
flamethrowers and hand grenades.

I have to guys coming. On is a couple of hundred bucks and will put
in some repellent. He says it'll drive them out. The other guy puts
up some one-way valve and lets them leave but not return. He wants to
wait till the juvies are old enough to fly so they don't get trapped
inside. He says the repellent doesn't work and even if it did, it
might drive out the females and you'd have a bunch of dead juvies to
deal with. The one-way valve guy also goes around the house and fills
in all little cracks to keep them out.

One is something like $200. The other is something like $900.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this, what works, what
doesn't work, etc. etc.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 10:08*pm, Pat wrote:
[...]

Getting bats out of your attic is simple. Just before it gets dark,
they will leave the house to spend the night eating. Stand outside and
watch for them to leave to house to see where the holes are that they
use to enter the house. Then patch up the holes they use to enter.

If they have young-uns, if you have fairly easy access to the attic,
maybe if you put enough lights up there to light up the place real
good for a few days it will make the bats re-locate.

Regardless of what you do to get rid of the bats, you have to plug up
all those holes or more bats will eventually find their way in. I've
seen some folks plug up the holes and then put up bat houses, kind of
like bird houses but built specifically for bats, under the eaves.
That helps keep the bats out of the house as well.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 10:08*pm, Pat wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this, what works, what
doesn't work, etc. etc.

I made a small fortune on people with attitudes similar to yours
toward bats, Don't you set your money on fire.

http://www.batworld.org/main/main.html
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/bats/bats.htm

I like to vacuum the pool in the evening when I'll usually get several
bats swooping in for drinks.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had bats in the same place years ago
I was told to take my wife's nylons and fill it with a little moth flakes
and hang it in front of the holes they leave by
it worked, I'm told they hate the smell, never had them again but it took a
week for them to leave

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Given the choice between bats and mosquitoes, I will choose
the bats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
[...]

As others suggest, you can do it yourself. Obviously openings need to
be sealed or screened over. A bat can easily slip through about a half
inch crack. You could wait until evening and put lights and mothballs
in the attic to keep them from returning and seal openings next day.
A caution not mentioned is that bats can be rabid so make sure you're
fully clothed working around them. I've had three encounters with them
in the house. One I killed by swatting with a broom, the other two were
chased out with windows open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Pat wrote:
[...]

Bats are rarely rabid. A more likely risk is histoplasmosis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Frank wrote:
Pat wrote:
[...]

Years ago wife's friend, a doctor in Pittsburgh, had a bat nip her leg
in a hospital parking lot and had to get the rabies shots. A son's
friend is currently getting the shots after being scratched by a cat.
Rabies is endemic in a lot of places. Get scratched or bitten by any
animal you cannot contain and observe and you will probably need to get
rabies shots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 10:08*pm, Pat wrote:
[...]

Bats did me a good favor. When I bought my house there were bats in
the attic and I wouldnt close on the house until they were gone or
they gave me the money to get rid of them. I got 2K off the house and
it took maybe a couple of hours to get rid of them and clean up the
mess. I have a couple of bat houses in the backyard for them now.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 4:53�pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:08�pm, Pat wrote:

[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

bats eat tons of mosquioties every nite, sadly bats are dying off big
time, might be a global warming or other issue, they are a important
part of nature, avoid killing them, please rehome them.

or mosquioties and the diseases they spread will get much worse

Baseball bats p4o2 Woodworking 45 July 15th 08 06:49 AM
Maple bats a hazard in baseball? Andy Dingley Woodworking 21 June 2nd 08 02:20 AM
How does the grain run on baseball bats? Toller Woodworking 27 November 3rd 07 05:45 PM
baseball bats..... [email protected] Woodturning 1 May 21st 06 04:10 PM
baseball bats..... [email protected] Woodturning 0 May 21st 06 03:00 PM