Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher KO - water won't enter

My KitchenAid dishwasher, about 13 years old, quit on me yesterday.

Food kept coming out dirty after 3 tries. I got out the manual, ruled
out obvious items (float valve, e.g.) then checked the water input
since
there wasn't any in the bottom. I felt around the hole's exterior,
scraped a
little calcium? off, re-started dishwasher. Nada.

There is NO discussion of this problem in the manual. I called
the help line; got somebody who said he had no idea.

No, I cannot afford a new one. (I washed dishes by hand before
and can do it again!). The price of a service call plus parts
would easily -- depending on cost of parts -- come to 1/3
the cost of a good though not fancy dishwasher (per Consumer
Reports Aug 2008). Which argues for replacing a 13-year-old
dishwasher, which I would do if I could.

So, does anybody have suggestions for diagnosing why
no water comes in? And is it repairable by unhandy moi
or nabe handyman?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Food kept coming out dirty after 3 tries. I got out the manual, ruled
out obvious items (float valve, e.g.) then checked the water input
since
there wasn't any in the bottom. I felt around the hole's exterior,
scraped a
little calcium? off, re-started dishwasher. Nada.

There is NO discussion of this problem in the manual. I called
the help line; got somebody who said he had no idea.
So, does anybody have suggestions for diagnosing why
no water comes in? And is it repairable by unhandy moi
or nabe handyman?

TIA

The water valve is electrically operatored. The solenois may be bad or the
control that sends the power to the valve may be bad. Do you hear a click?
The valve is in the front behind the lower panel.
check to see if power is going toit as step one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 4:39*am, "Ed" wrote:
[...]

But, the float switch, used to shut off the incoming water when the
level is high enough, is also in the circuit, so you must check the
float switch as well. If the switch is stuck, due to debris, for
example, in the up position, water will not come in because the
machine thinks it is already filled with water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:
[...]

If my friend doesn't use his dishwasher for a time,
the water valve will stick and rapping on it frees
it up. I take off the front cover at the bottom and
it's right there.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:04 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you as well, but I use the dishwasher at
least 3-4x a week (per recommendation to run
only full loads to save water & energy).

Don't let the Quarks get you.

TDD