Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Teen Driver Monitoring

Hi;

My daughter will be driving soon and I want to be able to monitor her
driving when I am not in the car. Some may say it is spying, but I
have made my mind up and I want to do it. My daughter is all for it as
well. She knows it will be in the car, and as a result, it will keep
her accountable.

I am looking for a gps system that will tell me speeds and where she
has driven. Most will also alert of jack rabbit starts and sudden
stops along with excessive g-forces during turns (Taking turns too
fast). I want all of this, but I also want a camera in the car mounted
on the rear-view mirror. I want to monitor how many friends she has in
the car at a given time and make sure she is focused on driving and
not her friends or the radio or texting or applying make-up or what
ever else kids may do while driving. I am hoping for a camera that
will take a snap shot of the interior of the vehicle say every 30
seconds and upload them to a website where I can monitor from any
internet connection.

If any of you are familiar with any of these teen driver monitors, I
would appreciate and recommendations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 8:28*pm, "Big Bob" wrote:
why don't you just hide in the trunk when she takes the car out.
seriously, i can understand the gps but a spy cam? *if you don't trust her,
don't give her keys

I believe in trust...but verify. If she knows she is being monitored
with video while driving, she wont be tempted if a "Friend" says "it's
ok to drink one beer while you drive" or "I can drink while you
drive" I hear many parents complain about kids who text while
driving. How many are actually involved in trying to eliminate the
behavior.

This is not just for kids. I work with a fleet of vehicles. The owner
has had to put up with his drivers rear ending cars, and calls from
people for his drivers driving like maniacs. He is considering putting
cameras in his fleet vehicles as well. Just the knowledge that they
are there and can be viewed is enough to make some drive more
appropriately
Posted to alt.home.repair

komobu wrote:
[...]

Check out this site:

http://www.mobileteengps.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"komobu" wrote in message
I am looking for a gps system that will tell me speeds and where she
has driven. Most will also alert of jack rabbit starts and sudden
stops along with excessive g-forces during turns (Taking turns too
fast). I want all of this, but I also want a camera in the car mounted
on the rear-view mirror. I want to monitor how many friends she has in
the car at a given time and make sure she is focused on driving and
not her friends or the radio or texting or applying make-up or what
ever else kids may do while driving. I am hoping for a camera that
will take a snap shot of the interior of the vehicle say every 30
seconds and upload them to a website where I can monitor from any
internet connection.

If any of you are familiar with any of these teen driver monitors, I
would appreciate and recommendations.

There are cameras that record, but I don't know of anyh that will upload.
I'm glad you are not my mother. Knowing you are watching so closely she may
have an accident.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 8:16*pm, komobu wrote:
[...]

I remember the specifics, but there are two other options available to
you. You can pull the computer from her car and read it. It'll tell
you what she's been up to but not where. You can get replacement ones
with longer memories if you need it. You can also get a replacement
and drive good with it. Then slam your brakes on and come to a stop.
Pull the memory module and throw it in your glove compartment. Then
if you have an accident, you can swop the modules and "prove" you
weren't speeding !

There is also some nanny-type app for cell phones so you know where
she is. It might also track speed, but I don't know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
komobu wrote:

Hi;

My daughter will be driving soon and I want to be able to monitor her
driving when I am not in the car.

Yer kidding, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 7:16*pm, komobu wrote:
[...]

Mind your own business, cameras are for creaps. A speed monitor I
could understand. You need to lighten up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"komobu" wrote in message
[...]

Forget technology. You might be able to adapt this concept to achieve your
objective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YLmh5iDIhw

By the way, you're about 15 years too late to get your kid to do the right
thing when you're not around to enforce the rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 8:16*pm, komobu wrote:
Hi;

My daughter will be driving soon and I want to be able to monitor her
driving when I am not in the car.

It's a little late to become a "parent", now, via technology.

Had you instilled in her good defensive driving practices from her
toddler years instead of getting her accustomed to enduring G forces
you wouldn't have a worry about *her* driving, now, when it's
*****way***** too late.

You keep that in mind if she's involved in an "accident".
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"komobu" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly, there should be a little voice playing in the kids brain at
this point that was planted early and cultured for a number of years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote in
:

komobu wrote:
[...]

Might as well just be her chauffeur if you are gonna spend all your
time watching her. Or else learn to trust her.

I think many of us, as parents, automatically assume our spouselings are
going to do everything we did. Sometimes they do and sometimes they
don't. **** happens; good ****, bad ****...but **** always happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

If any of you are familiar with any of these teen driver monitors, I
would appreciate and recommendations.

Check out this site:

http://www.mobileteengps.com/

Interesting device! Could also be used to monitor the wife or as a
poor-man's lojack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

komobu wrote:
[...]

If she is just beginning to drive, I wouldn't allow any other kids in
the car and would be with her enough to be sure she can handle the
unexpected. One of my children wasn't allowed a license until she was
18, about 10 years too soon ) I read about kids being killed all the
time, much too young for the time of night and distance from home where
they have accidents. I'm a retired nurse, so worried about driving from
the time my children were born. Trust but verify - know where they will
be, and then check occ. I made a practice of knowing the parents of my
children's friends; when I didn't keep to my own rule, it was worrisome
on occasion. I also told my kids that if they had a ride, and the
driver was drinking, that I would go ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME to pick them
up so they didn't ride with someone under the influence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 11:10*am, "
wrote:
komobu wrote:
[...]

up so they didn't ride with someone under the influence.- Hide quoted text -

I'm a retired nurse, so worried about driving from the time my
children were born.

What does your occupation have to do with it?

Do we bankers/waitresses/plumbers/ministers/actors/football players/
teachers/etc/etc not worry about our children?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jun 29, 11:10 am, "
wrote:
komobu wrote:
[...]

===================

Nurses see things that we don't. The undertaker straightens things out
before the funeral, but that comes after the mashed up bodies have left the
hospital.

But you still make a good point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:10 am, "
wrote:
komobu wrote:
[...]

I didn't imply that others worry less.

You probably haven't given CPR to a nineteen year-old with a crushed
chest and a compound fracture of a leg. Or seen a baby thrown through a
windshield. Or a newlywed with 90% third degree burns. Or someone with
brain tissue running out their nose. Or a face smashed in by running
into the rear end of a semi. My children's high school had a memorial
page almost every year. I kept mental note when I worked in the OR, and
about half of the victims that came to OR were involved in accidents
with drunks. Drunks tended to be the less severely injured.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
komobu wrote:
[...]

Nurses refer to motorcycle riders as organ donors.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Nurses refer to motorcycle riders as organ donors.

TDD

Bikers in Florida should never make left turns; don't know how many I've
read of recently who were hit by drivers oblivious to the bikes. I can
remember a couple of young guys who each lost a leg when broadsided by a
car....fun to ride, but I'd rather be encased in a steel frame when some
blind or drunk fool decides to run into me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 4:00*pm, "
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:10 am, "
wrote:
komobu wrote:
[...]

That's just about exactly what I thought your response would be.

"I didn't imply that others worry less."

Then what were you implying?

When you state that you worried "about driving from the time my
children were born" based on the fact that you are a retired nurse,
you appear to be implying that other professionals/laborers/
entertainers didn't. Otherwise, there is no need to bring up your
occupation.

Do you think the fact that you saw the results of the accidents more
often than others means you worried more - no wait, you said you
"didn't imply that others worry less". What's left? That we didn't
worry at all or that we started worrying later?

I'm just trying to understand what you were trying to say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Nurses refer to motorcycle riders as organ donors.

Donorcycle riders.

Jon