Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The end of newsgroups?

MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean
the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from
the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web
based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does
this mean the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no
newsgroup from the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are
being replaced by web based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to
lose alt.home.repair

The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that
usenet is disappearing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean
the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from
the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web
based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair

I heard this is for Europe as MS wants to avoid tangling with officials
there who have gone after MS as a monopoly.

Personally, I use Mozilla programs, Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird
for email and ng's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean
the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from
the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web
based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair

Clearly computers allow you to install programs above and beyond what
they have "out of the box". If you should happen to find yourself using
that OS you could simply download and install whatever you need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader.

Wrong on both accounts.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader.

Wrong on both accounts.

Jon

No.

Here's what's going on:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3028

Personally, over a year ago when I got a new computer with Vista it was
a real PITA to untangle MS software from taking over my computer and
getting what I wanted installed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader.

Wrong on both accounts.

No.

Here's what's going on:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3028

Personally, over a year ago when I got a new computer with Vista it
was a real PITA to untangle MS software from taking over my computer
and getting what I wanted installed.

Not even remotely close to what the OP was talking about. Windows7 comes
with WindowsLive, the new name for Outlook Express, which handles SMTP, POP,
and NNTP protocols (mail and news).

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that
usenet is disappearing.

Agree

There are TONS of other readers out there!

I like and use Agent
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 01:56:15 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean
the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from
the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web
based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair

Bad information.

There is no newsgroup for Windows 7, until it is officially released
October 22.

Windows 7 Feature Focus:

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/584-...ure-focus.html

Pricing:

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/1454...7-pricing.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:

I personally think WEB based news is a disorganized bunch of crap. I
can't never find anything in WEB formated news. I can't even find my own
posts. That is pretty screwed up.

Amen!!

I hate web based forums!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean
the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from
the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web
based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair

Not at all.
It means you will have to get a free or paid for third party program
that supports newsgroups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader.

Wrong on both accounts.

Jon

Unless he is buying it in Europe- to satisfy the anti-MS PTB over there,
they plan to release it w/o a browser. Not sure how they expect people
to download patches or a different browser, but hey, what the PTB want,
the PTB get.
I presume stores over there will have near-free CDs of browsers when you
buy bundled hw/sw, or shrink-wrap OS copies.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Unless he is buying it in Europe- to satisfy the anti-MS PTB over there,
they plan to release it w/o a browser. Not sure how they expect people
to download patches or a different browser, but hey, what the PTB want,
the PTB get.

The PTB just said that MS can't include it free as part of the OS
and that it can't be an integrated part of the OS. But others can
include the browser. For instance, if Dell wants to include Firefox on
their boxes, they could. If I read the release correctly, the computer
makers can include a stand alone version of IE if they want to. It is
just that MS can't require they take the browser as part of the OS.

--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
The PTB just said that MS can't include it free as part of the OS
and that it can't be an integrated part of the OS. But others can
include the browser. For instance, if Dell wants to include Firefox on
their boxes, they could. If I read the release correctly, the computer
makers can include a stand alone version of IE if they want to. It is
just that MS can't require they take the browser as part of the OS.

And actually the browser not being an integral part of the OS is not a bad
thing.

IMO it is a good thing.

To some extent it may limit the ability of scammers to "hook" into the OS.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:27:00 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
The PTB just said that MS can't include it free as part of the OS
and that it can't be an integrated part of the OS. But others can
include the browser. For instance, if Dell wants to include Firefox on
their boxes, they could. If I read the release correctly, the computer
makers can include a stand alone version of IE if they want to. It is
just that MS can't require they take the browser as part of the OS.

And actually the browser not being an integral part of the OS is not a bad
thing.

IMO it is a good thing.

To some extent it may limit the ability of scammers to "hook" into the OS.

Colbyt

"EU to pursue antitrust case, despite Windows 7 E"

*The EU has decided to pursue its antitrust browser case against
Microsoft despite the software giant's decision to unbundle Internet
Explorer 8 from Windows 7 in Europe.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...indows-7-e.ars

The EU can't make up their mind. Now they want IE as an option??

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

According to the trade rags I get at work, what EU really wants is for
MS, at their expense, to bundle ALL the browsers on the CD or factory
disk image, and have the user pick one during the initial setup
sequence. Sorta like Ma Bell having to include all the pretend phone
companies in the instructions in front of the book, before they said the
hell with it and stopped making their own phone books.

In short, they want MS to give a free distribution ride to their
competitors.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And competitors stand-by, licking their chops.

I cannot image the work that went into the OS so MS could pull the
tentacles of IE out of the code. :-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does this mean
the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no newsgroup from
the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are being replaced by web
based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to lose alt.home.repair

You can use free Agent. My Usenet service (from AT&T) will end in
about 2 weeks. May stop reading/posting if I can not get (free)
Eternal September server to work with Agent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 06:27:13 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Walter R. wrote:
MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does
this mean the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no
newsgroup from the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are
being replaced by web based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to
lose alt.home.repair

The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that
usenet is disappearing.

As more ISPs drop Usenet, there will be fewer posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:12:45 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

As more ISPs drop Usenet, there will be fewer posts.

More ISP's farm out the task. Same reason they cannot answer my
questions on a local level.

Usenet is here to stay for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

In short, they want MS to give a free distribution ride to their
competitors.

And competitors stand-by, licking their chops.

I cannot image the work that went into the OS so MS could pull the
tentacles of IE out of the code. :-))

Ah, the old maxim: Be careful what you ask for...

Which just illustrates that MOST anti-monopoly crusades are not about the
consumer, they are about the would-be competitors to the alleged monopolist.

The poster-boy for monopolies, John D Rockefeller and his Standard Oil
company, brought down the price of Kerosene from $3.00/gallon to five cents.
In three years. The people who supplied whale oil for lighting were
essentially put out of business but the rest of the world got light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As more ISPs drop Usenet, there will be fewer posts.

More ISP's farm out the task. Same reason they cannot answer my
questions on a local level.

Not necessarily. Comcast never had their own NNTP servers and simply
allowed us to authenticate at Giganews. Then after the NY AG was looking
to make himself look good by "protecting the children" Comcast had a
great excuse to eliminate access to Giganews which they promptly did. I
believe most of the major ISPs did the same.

Usenet is here to stay for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
budget will end up using.

--
aem sends...

And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
why anyone would actually choose to use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't
know why anyone would actually choose to use it.

It's almost as if they deliberately set out to make it that way....

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Unless he is buying it in Europe- to satisfy the anti-MS PTB over there,
they plan to release it w/o a browser. Not sure how they expect people
to download patches or a different browser, but hey, what the PTB want,
the PTB get.

The PTB just said that MS can't include it free as part of the OS
and that it can't be an integrated part of the OS. But others can
include the browser. For instance, if Dell wants to include Firefox on
their boxes, they could. If I read the release correctly, the computer
makers can include a stand alone version of IE if they want to. It is
just that MS can't require they take the browser as part of the OS.

Download live CD image of Linux Mint, burn to CD, put in DVD drive and
restart your computer. Make sure BIOS is set to boot from DVD drive.
See what a good OS is. It won't change anything on your hard drive or
alter your Windows system. When your done take out the CD and reboot
and your back to using Windows again.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sea Dog wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Trivial for you and me, not so trivial for a casual user. And for
somebody buying a new PC, unless they have connectivity and instructions
on how to FTP from a mirror site, just how would they download it
without a browser? (Not that anyone should connect a new PC without a
firewall, etc, in place, but I digress...) If MS really starts selling
naked Win7 in Europe, folks there that don't have access to another PC
will have to depend on manufacturer or dealer to either stash it on the
hard drive, or provide a CD.

I miss the old days when they provided a semi-current software bundle
with new PCs, and didn't assume everyone had a broadband connection, and
had the skill set and time to spend 3-4 hours downloading MORE friggin'
software and patches before machine was safely usable. I almost suspect
MS and the others are still chasing the old dream of people paying a
monthly fee to use software, just like they pay a monthly fee to do
pretty much anything these days. Of course, if they did get their dream,
we all wouldn't need PCs that were more powerful than mainframes from 20
years ago, with more storage. A 300 dollar thin client would be all we
needed.
--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
budget will end up using.

--
aem sends...

And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
why anyone would actually choose to use it.

Maybe because it is free? I am a long-term Usenet user and not about
to start paying for it after AT&T (supposedly) pulls the Usenet plug
in 2 weeks. AT&T has a lot of customers, I'm sure there will be users
that stop using Usenet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
budget will end up using.

--
aem sends...

And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
why anyone would actually choose to use it.

Maybe because it is free? I am a long-term Usenet user and not about
to start paying for it after AT&T (supposedly) pulls the Usenet plug
in 2 weeks. AT&T has a lot of customers, I'm sure there will be users
that stop using Usenet.

You or they don't happen to pay for it unless you happened to be
interested in binary groups. There are a number of free text only servers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Maybe because it is free? I am a long-term Usenet user and not about
to start paying for it after AT&T (supposedly) pulls the Usenet plug
in 2 weeks. AT&T has a lot of customers, I'm sure there will be users
that stop using Usenet.

There are still free servers such as teranews.com and motzarella.org and low
priced pay servers such as giganews.com

If you sign up with giganews under one of the following, I get a free month
of service.
http://www.giganews.com/?c=esp45 (English)
http://fr.giganews.com/?c=esp45 (French)
http://de.giganews.com/?c=esp45 (German)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sea Dog wrote:

Download live CD image of Linux Mint, burn to CD, put in DVD drive and
restart your computer. Make sure BIOS is set to boot from DVD drive.
See what a good OS is. It won't change anything on your hard drive or
alter your Windows system. When your done take out the CD and reboot
and your back to using Windows again.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Putting Linux on your computer is roughly equivalent to have a blow-up doll
for a girlfriend. And, at less than 1%, both have about the same market
penetration (pardon the pun).

Full disclosu Just because I own a wheelbarrow full of Microsoft stock in
no way influences my opinion of other operating systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:28:54 -0400, George
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
budget will end up using.

--
aem sends...
And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
why anyone would actually choose to use it.

Maybe because it is free? I am a long-term Usenet user and not about
to start paying for it after AT&T (supposedly) pulls the Usenet plug
in 2 weeks. AT&T has a lot of customers, I'm sure there will be users
that stop using Usenet.

You or they don't happen to pay for it unless you happened to be
interested in binary groups. There are a number of free text only servers.

I havn't used binaries for about a year now, but the only free
newsgroup access that works (for me) is Google. Where can I find
setup instructions for Eternal September servers?

http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

George wrote in
:

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

If you're an occasional binary user like me (abpw mainly) then maybe try
a subscriptino to astraweb (news.astraweb.com). My $10 last July gave me
the right to 25 GB of download. Just about a year has passed and I still
have 24GB left. Astraweb is fast, complete and what you might want.
Regular nntp client server stuff.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sea Dog wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

That looks like a cool version but I've had very good
luck with Puppy Linux which seems to run on anything
I tried it on, especially older computers.

http://www.puppylinux.org/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
budget will end up using.

--
aem sends...

And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
why anyone would actually choose to use it.

Maybe because it is free? I am a long-term Usenet user and not about
to start paying for it after AT&T (supposedly) pulls the Usenet plug
in 2 weeks. AT&T has a lot of customers, I'm sure there will be users
that stop using Usenet.

Giganews is great and is only $7.99 per month.

Free text only news servers like teranews aren't reliable, you don't
always get all the post, and often just don't work, then they try
to get you to upgrade to a pay account.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Sea Dog wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Puppy is good, also Slax and an old version of Games Knoppix on
my old machine. I have two boxes full of distros to choose from
but for a novice, Linux Mint would be best IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 22:04:18 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't
know why anyone would actually choose to use it.

It's almost as if they deliberately set out to make it that way....

Jon

Of course. They wanted eye balls (equals money), so they filled the
screen with eye candy. Same as AOL (assholes on line).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Thanks George, the client settings I need was discovered in the
technical information. That should work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sea Dog" wrote in message
Giganews is great and is only $7.99 per month.

I'm using a $2.99 account from Giganews

Posted to alt.home.repair

:Walter R. wrote:
: MS Windows 7 will not have an e-mail program or a newsreader. Does
: this mean the end of newsgroups like this one? Even Windows 7 has no
: newsgroup from the MS News Server. Looks like the newsgroups are
: being replaced by web based forums. Is this correct. Will hate to
: lose alt.home.repair
:
:The lack of an included program to *read* newsgroups does not mean that
:usenet is disappearing.
Yeah, I use a "3rd party" email/newsgroup reader, not Outlook or Outlook
express. It won't affect me.

Dan