Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The end of newsgroups?

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

:In article ,
: aemeijers wrote:
:
:
:
: Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
: that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
: budget will end up using.
:
: --
: aem sends...
:
:And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
:why anyone would actually choose to use it.

I use it occasionally, and only to do searches. AFAIK, I can't do usenet
searches using my email/NG client (Agent 1.9xxx). I can search only the
posts I've downloaded the bodies for or search thread subjects that are
still "current." Currency seems to be around 2 months (???). It used to
be Deja News for usenet searches, but Google bought them out.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:07:50 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

:On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:
:
:In article ,
: aemeijers wrote:
:
:
:
: Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
: that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
: budget will end up using.
:
: --
: aem sends...
:
:And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
:why anyone would actually choose to use it.
:
:
:Maybe because it is free? I am a long-term Usenet user and not about
:to start paying for it after AT&T (supposedly) pulls the Usenet plug
:in 2 weeks. AT&T has a lot of customers, I'm sure there will be users
:that stop using Usenet.

Is AT&T really pulling the plug on usenet? I'm SBC Yahoo/ATT/Pacbell for
many years. Does this mean I can no longer download headers/bodies for
usenet? If that's true I may have to look for a new ISP. I use Usenet a
LOT.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:18:47 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

:I like and use Agent

Yeah, I use Agent, pretty old version. I know of no reason to upgrade.
I'm on 1.9xxx.

I still have a copy of Agent v 1.92xx. For a text group, you cannot go
wrong using it. Thing is I don't believe it is still available
"officially".

FYI: ZIP the Agent folder into a zip file. Save it away. The next time
there is a need for a new OS / hard drive replacement, all you have to
do is un-zip the file into a folder of choice (make shortcut icon).
The app will run as a stand-alone - no need for a fresh install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 11:24:49 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:07:50 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

:On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:
:
:In article ,
: aemeijers wrote:
:
:
:
: Of course, this will make it even harder for the newbies to understand
: that Usenet is not Google Groups, since that is what most regulars on a
: budget will end up using.
:
: --
: aem sends...
:
:And as has been mentioned, Google's interface is god awful. I don't know
:why anyone would actually choose to use it.
:
:
:Maybe because it is free? I am a long-term Usenet user and not about
:to start paying for it after AT&T (supposedly) pulls the Usenet plug
:in 2 weeks. AT&T has a lot of customers, I'm sure there will be users
:that stop using Usenet.

Is AT&T really pulling the plug on usenet?

I believe so, but I have yet to recieve a postal notification nor
email from AT&T.

I'm SBC Yahoo/ATT/Pacbell for
many years. Does this mean I can no longer download headers/bodies for
usenet?

No, but you no longer will be able to download headers using AT&T NNTP
server if they terminate Usenet service. I am all set to change the
NNTP Agent server to the free Eternal September. No need to change
ISP. Another option is to use Google Groups, but its interface sucks.

If that's true I may have to look for a new ISP. I use Usenet a
LOT.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:07:50 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

:On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:37:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:
:
:In article ,
: aemeijers wrote:
:
:
:
[...]

TimeWarner did away with usenet service last year in June. I've been
using NewsHosting ever since and very happy with results. For $15/mo I
get over 10 connections, unlimited downloading, and retention that far
surpasses anything that I could ever take advantage of. If I wanted
encrypted connections and more connections I could pay more but I can
max out my pipe using just 1 or 2 connections anyway. The package I have
with them is cheaper than Giganews because they reduce the retention
period to a level that is still acceptable and thus it lowers the rate
you pay compared to Giganews so that's why I went with NewsHosting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message

Is AT&T really pulling the plug on usenet? I'm SBC Yahoo/ATT/Pacbell for
many years. Does this mean I can no longer download headers/bodies for
usenet? If that's true I may have to look for a new ISP. I use Usenet a
LOT.

I use Usent a lot too. After Verizon and Comcast bailed out, I started
using these two free newsgroup servers:

news://news.aioe.org and

news://eternal-september.org (was called "news.motzarella.org" until June
30, 2009)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message

TimeWarner did away with usenet service last year in June. I've been using
NewsHosting ever since and very happy with results. For $15/mo I get over
10 connections, unlimited downloading, and retention that far surpasses
anything that I could ever take advantage of. If I wanted encrypted
connections and more connections I could pay more but I can max out my
pipe using just 1 or 2 connections anyway.

The package I have with them is cheaper than Giganews because they reduce
the retention period to a level that is still acceptable and thus it lowers
the rate you pay compared to Giganews so that's why I went with
NewsHosting.

No reason to pay that much money unless you are downloading huge files. I
have the $3 a month plan with Giganews and it supports plenty of
connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:11:17 -0400, Phisherman

You can use free Agent. My Usenet service (from AT&T) will end in
about 2 weeks. May stop reading/posting if I can not get (free)
Eternal September server to work with Agent.

You can use astraweb.com and get 25 GB for $10. Working great for me
since Verizon dropped most usenet.