Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Default Homemade peanut butter

wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:31:32 -0400, "Lou" wrote:

:
:"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: I've made nut butters in the kitchen for many years, usually peanut
: butter. It's a money saver and you can see with your own eyes exactly
: what the ingredients are.
:
: I roast the nuts in the oven, although I have made raw cashew butter a
: time or two. My sometime problem is getting a machine that's up to the
: task. I used to work with a Waring blender, and after burning out a few
: motors (they were available for user replacement), I bought an Osterizer
: 10 speed and it lasted for over 20 years on the original motor. It
: finally burned out about two months ago. This old Osterizer was 125
: watts only. Besides the glass blender jar I had a $10 plastic accessory
: that they called a food processor attachment, which I have only used for
: grinding meat on occasion. It's designed very well and does a very nice
: job of meat grinding.
:
: So, in looking for a replacement for my old Osterizer I figured I'd get
: another Osterizer, naturally, inasmuch as the old one lasted 20+ years
: and I still wanted to be able to use the meat-grinding food processor
: attachment. I did some homework and found that the current Osterizer
: blenders are rated at much higher power -- from 450 watts up to 600
: watts or so. About two months ago I picked up a #6694 450 watt 12 speed
: Osterizer Blender at Walmart for around $25. However, it burned out this
: morning making a new batch of peanut butter. I suppose I can get a
: warranty replacement which will work fine for smoothies and such and
: grinding meat, but evidently I need something more robust for nut
: butters. I had been eyeing the "Beehive" Osterizer, which I can get for
: around $55 at Walmart. It's supposed to be 600 watts, supports 2 speeds
: and a flash button (the food processor attachment requires flash). I
: thought I'd post first to get people's opinions and experience before
: shelling out more money, perhaps vainly.
:
:
:Peanut and other nut butters were around long before food processors or
:blenders, or for that matter electricity, were available. I don't know how
:much peanut butter you make, but an old fashioned hand mill ought to do the
:job.
:
I'm not familiar with old fashioned hand mills and have no idea
concerning finding and buying one. Seems like it might be a lot of work,
and it's yet another thing to store. A blender, at least, serves
multiple functions as long as it doesn't burn out. I'm ****ed that they
don't make better motors. I think they're fully aware of the problem and
just choose to keep making machines that burn out because their net
profit is better served with that m.o. I will not hesitate to take
advantage of their warranty when possible.

Dan

Some might suggest that their "MO" is simply to make the cheapest device
they possibly can to meet the big box price point.

There are certainly quality devices made but they aren't going to be on
the shelf at wally for $25.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Fri 26 Jun 2009 08:37:29a, told us...

[...]

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

I have a vintage 1960s Osterizer with a higher power motor, glass jar,
metal housing, etc., and I've used it occasionally to make peanut butter.

However, if I made peanut butter on a regular basis, I would buy a
dedicated machine like this one. The mechanism is entirely different and
is up to the task of producing multiple batches. You'll probably never buy
another one...

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2008/09/...er-machine.php

--
Wayne Boatwright
Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but mouth ~brothels.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 06:13:08 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Jun 27, 8:07*am, "brooklyn1" wrote:
"Bob Villa" says:

I bought an old Salton *peanut butter
maker at a thrift store that has worked well.
It makes a small amount at a time though.

You ain't Bob Villa.

Bob Villa would put his nuts into something like this:http://tinyurl.com/oxosfr

You're thinking of "Tim the Toolman" not me...I never use tools. I'm
a lawyer.

e-How doesn't show it, but Jelly Belly uses copper "cement mixers" in
one part of making jelly beans. I think it's the final "sugaring"
process.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:09:55 -0400, George
wrote:

From what I have read it is almost impossible not to have it. Its just
simply a roll of the dice if it will ever "kick in".

I've learned over years of painful experience that a cold sore is my
body's way of warning me that if I don't get more rest, I'll get sick.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:57:51 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

:On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 05:56:22 -0700, Dan Musicant )
:wrote:
:
:-snip-
:I hate to buy a food processor. My reasons a
:
:1. Expense
:2. I can envision no use for it currently other than making peanut
:butter.
:3. It's another device I have to find room for. I use a blender for
:smoothies, certain other tasks. I already have a bread machine, so that
:aspect of a food processor isn't needed.
:
:I've done without a bread machine- using the dough-hooks on my
:Kitchenaid. But the processor- a 25yr old LaMachine II- gets a
:workout a couple times a week for pesto, chopping veggies for soup,
:grating cheese, or slicing veggies for salads.
:
ifferent strokes-
:
:Jim

I cook for one, have couple of good cutting boards, a favorite cleaver.
Never make pesto, occasional soup doesn't justify a processor, am eating
almost NO cheese, salads, well, again can't justify a processor for
that. My bread machine doesn't just mix dough, it bakes bread. When it
dies, I'll get another.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Musicant wrote:
I cook for one, have couple of good cutting boards, a favorite
cleaver. Never make pesto, occasional soup doesn't justify a
processor, am eating almost NO cheese, salads, well, again can't
justify a processor for that. My bread machine doesn't just mix
dough, it bakes bread. When it dies, I'll get another.

I have a breadmaker which has only one purpose. It makes dough for homemade
pizza.

I don't think it could be any easier; throw the stuff in, push a button, and
90 minutes later it's done.

Jon

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote in message
On Jun 27, 8:07 am, "Penus Mini 01" wrote:
"Bob Villa" says:

I bought an old Salton peanut butter
maker at a thrift store that has worked well.
It makes a small amount at a time though.

You ain't Bob Villa.

[snip Sheldumb banality]

You're thinking of "Tim the Toolman" not me...I never
use tools. I'm a lawyer.

Congratulations Bob; you've met a Usenet crank. You might've run across him
as in his former iteration.

Shelly's not smart, quick, or particularly inventive. He hopes to be
classified a "k00k" but his limited diatribes only amount to a 2-yo standing
in a store screaming and dancing in place. Shelly is nothing more than a
mosquito buzzing about the ear.

The Ranger

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On the way home from dropping off my dead Oster blender at the warranty
dropoff service center (I'll get a new replacement in about a month), I
saw an Oster Counterforms blender at Costco yesterday for $49.99 and
after mulling it over, took it home. It appears to be similar to the
other Counterforms and the Fusion as well, same controls and features.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article , Dan Musicant
) says...
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:49:58 -0500, Cheapo Groovo
wrote:

:In article , Dan Musicant
[...]
:Have you looked into the thunderstick?
:http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/thunderstick.html

I'd never seen it. It's not available at that site currently and they
don't post a price. Seems unlikely that I could make up to 60 ounces of
smooth peanut butter with any convenience with that item. The pictures
at that site are tiny and I can't make out what the accessories come to,
but it doesn't look promising.

Dan

somtimes they have these products at cvs or walgreens