Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Troubleshooting

Last evening, my A/C unit stopped working. I'd like to try to figure
out what died, how much it will cost to fix, and if I can do the
repairs myself.

We heard a sort of buzzing sound a few times, and when I looked out
the window, I noticed that the fan blades seemed to be turning slower
than usual. I went to the thermostat and turned off the A/C for a few
minutes. When I turned it back on, I could hear a short buzz sound at
the A/C unit, but the fan blades didn't move. The buzz sound would
repeat every 10 seconds or so, but the fan never moved.

I then turned off the A/C and flipped the breaker. I tried to spin the
fan blades with a screwdriver, and they turn freely. I checked the
service disconnect box outside the house, and all looks fine.

I'm thinking that either the fan motor died, or the compressor is
dead, or both. Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
Last evening, my A/C unit stopped working. I'd like to try to figure
out what died, how much it will cost to fix, and if I can do the
repairs myself.

We heard a sort of buzzing sound a few times, and when I looked out
the window, I noticed that the fan blades seemed to be turning slower
than usual. I went to the thermostat and turned off the A/C for a few
minutes. When I turned it back on, I could hear a short buzz sound at
the A/C unit, but the fan blades didn't move. The buzz sound would
repeat every 10 seconds or so, but the fan never moved.

I then turned off the A/C and flipped the breaker. I tried to spin the
fan blades with a screwdriver, and they turn freely. I checked the
service disconnect box outside the house, and all looks fine.

I'm thinking that either the fan motor died, or the compressor is
dead, or both. Any thoughts?

This is just a lay-person opinion.

The fan motor is a possibility. A dead contactor (switch like device) is
more likely.
Does not sound like compressor failure to me.

A service man will know how to jumper the motor and force the contactor to
determine the actual cause.

Since that is the least expensive part let's hope that is the one.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Last evening, my A/C unit stopped working. I'd like to try to figure
out what died, how much it will cost to fix, and if I can do the
repairs myself.

We heard a sort of buzzing sound a few times, and when I looked out
the window, I noticed that the fan blades seemed to be turning slower
than usual. I went to the thermostat and turned off the A/C for a few
minutes. When I turned it back on, I could hear a short buzz sound at
the A/C unit, but the fan blades didn't move. The buzz sound would
repeat every 10 seconds or so, but the fan never moved.

I then turned off the A/C and flipped the breaker. I tried to spin the
fan blades with a screwdriver, and they turn freely. I checked the
service disconnect box outside the house, and all looks fine.

I'm thinking that either the fan motor died, or the compressor is
dead, or both. Any thoughts?

Taking some measurements with a volt meter is what should be done to
determine what is not working and why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 7:21*am, Ken wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Most contactors (relays) can be manual activated (removing a cover)
and push-in the armature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 7:03*am, Mike wrote:
Last evening, my A/C unit stopped working. I'd like to try to figure
out what died, how much it will cost to fix, and if I can do the
repairs myself.

We heard a sort of buzzing sound a few times, and when I looked out
the window, I noticed that the fan blades seemed to be turning slower
than usual. I went to the thermostat and turned off the A/C for a few
minutes. When I turned it back on, I could hear a short buzz sound at
the A/C unit, but the fan blades didn't move. The buzz sound would
repeat every 10 seconds or so, but the fan never moved.

I then turned off the A/C and flipped the breaker. I tried to spin the
fan blades with a screwdriver, and they turn freely. I checked the
service disconnect box outside the house, and all looks fine.

I'm thinking that either the fan motor died, or the compressor is
dead, or both. Any thoughts?

The most likely cause is : a defective combo Run Capacitor based on
what youve described. You wont be able to buy this part yourself ; it
is only available thru the Trade and you need to initiate a Service
Call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 26, 7:03 am, Mike wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily so. Replacement parts can be easily (though not rapidly)
obtained via mail order OR you can take the part to Grainger's (or similar),
say "Gimme one like this" and provide the name of an A/C contractor, OR get
your jovial and friendly HVAC technician to sell you one off his truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Last evening, my A/C unit stopped working. I'd like to try to figure
out what died, how much it will cost to fix, and if I can do the
repairs myself.

We heard a sort of buzzing sound a few times, and when I looked out
the window, I noticed that the fan blades seemed to be turning slower
than usual. I went to the thermostat and turned off the A/C for a few
minutes. When I turned it back on, I could hear a short buzz sound at
the A/C unit, but the fan blades didn't move. The buzz sound would
repeat every 10 seconds or so, but the fan never moved.

I then turned off the A/C and flipped the breaker. I tried to spin the
fan blades with a screwdriver, and they turn freely. I checked the
service disconnect box outside the house, and all looks fine.

I'm thinking that either the fan motor died, or the compressor is
dead, or both. Any thoughts?

Probably neither one. A seized motor sort-of "hums." The only thing that can
"buzz" (like a bee) is the power relay.

You can try this: With all the power off, look at the contacts on the power
relay. The contacts may be pitted or burnt, thereby preventing a good
connection. If so, more life can sometimes be extracted from the relay by
filing the contacts down to a smoother surface. This may buy you some time
to get a replacement.

While you're at it, might as well replace the capacitors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 7:30*am, " wrote:
On Jun 26, 7:03*am, Mike wrote:

[...]

Exactly correct up till the last part, I used to buy nad replace my
own caps all the time. I upgraded all my units, so haven't had a break
down for a while,
My advise is to install two separate capacitors, anyhow. That way you
only have to replace the bad one, + the separate ones are easier to
find.
@ $10- $20 they are worth a try, that's less than 15 minutes worth of
service call.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 7:45*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Jun 26, 7:30*am, " wrote:

On Jun 26, 7:03*am, Mike wrote:

[...]

service call.- Hide quoted text -

You guys are encouraging a homeowner who hasnt had the technical
expertise to repair something he can destroy or hurt himself on. All
for the sake of a simple service call (??) . Whether he can get the
exact replacement or not, isnt the point. And to tell him to buy two
independent run capacitors and expect him to wire them in so they work
correctly and safely...is absurd im afraid. OP, call an HVAC
serviceman to do the job and realize your limitations ; at the same
time, he can check out the freon level, do preventive maintenance
routines, and tell you the overall performance of the entire system
including the inside Unit with Cooling Coil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can try this: With all the power off, look at the contacts on the power
relay. The contacts may be pitted or burnt, thereby preventing a good
connection. If so, more life can sometimes be extracted from the relay by
filing the contacts down to a smoother surface. This may buy you some time
to get a replacement.

While you're at it, might as well replace the capacitors.- Hide quoted text -

Where can I find the power relay? Is this on the outside unit, or
inside on the furnace unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 7:30*am, " wrote:

On Jun 26, 7:03*am, Mike wrote:

[...]

To a point I agree with you. I lose sight of the fact that a lot of
people lack the basic skills to even attempt such a task.
I was perhaps lucky, on my first attempt at AC repair, I peeled the
sheet metal on the outside unit and quickly spotted the problem.
That emboldened me to go deeper the next time. I do have fairly
advanced mechanical and electrical skills though, I have worked as a
auto dealer line mechanic, and the electrical I've picked up as I
went.
Having owned several older homes you just learn it, if you have more
desire to learn than money for service calls,
I have replaced nearly every component, over the years, on various
units, except a compressor, & for that I'd call a pro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ken wrote:

Taking some measurements with a volt meter is what should be done to
determine what is not working and why.

TMI. Try to be a little more succinct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Last evening, my A/C unit stopped working. I'd like to try to figure
out what died, how much it will cost to fix, and if I can do the
repairs myself.

We heard a sort of buzzing sound a few times, and when I looked out
the window, I noticed that the fan blades seemed to be turning slower
than usual. I went to the thermostat and turned off the A/C for a few
minutes. When I turned it back on, I could hear a short buzz sound at
the A/C unit, but the fan blades didn't move. The buzz sound would
repeat every 10 seconds or so, but the fan never moved.

I then turned off the A/C and flipped the breaker. I tried to spin the
fan blades with a screwdriver, and they turn freely. I checked the
service disconnect box outside the house, and all looks fine.

I'm thinking that either the fan motor died, or the compressor is
dead, or both. Any thoughts?

Someone has already mentioned blown capacitors.
Whenever severe weather comes through the area,
all the HVAC and refrigeration repair techs are
running around like ants to replace all the blown
Chinese made start and run capacitors. If repair
techs could find American made capacitors they
would be snapping them up. The problem is that
the American manufactured capacitors are usually
two to three time the price of the Chinese made
capacitors and people shop for low price.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone has already mentioned blown capacitors.
Whenever severe weather comes through the area,
all the HVAC and refrigeration repair techs are
running around like ants to replace all the blown
Chinese made start and run capacitors.

It was just beginning to storm when the problem started last night. I
called around and found a service tech who will come out to diagonose
the problem for $50. Having no experience with capacitors (and
understanding the dangers of them discharging even when disconnected
from a power source) I'm fine with letting a pro take a look at it.
Hopefully it's just the capacitor and a relatively inexpensive
repair.

Anyone know what I should expect to pay if it's the capacitor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The most likely cause is : a defective combo Run Capacitor based on
what youve described. You wont be able to buy this part yourself ;
it is only available thru the Trade and you need to initiate a
Service Call.

Exactly correct up till the last part, I used to buy nad replace my
own caps all the time. I upgraded all my units, so haven't had a
break down for a while,
My advise is to install two separate capacitors, anyhow. That way you
only have to replace the bad one, + the separate ones are easier to
find.
@ $10- $20 they are worth a try, that's less than 15 minutes worth of
service call.- Hide quoted text -

You guys are encouraging a homeowner who hasnt had the technical
expertise to repair something he can destroy or hurt himself on. All
for the sake of a simple service call (??) .

Exactly.

Whether he can get the
exact replacement or not, isnt the point. And to tell him to buy two
independent run capacitors and expect him to wire them in so they work
correctly and safely...is absurd im afraid.

Not absurd. It's the sensible thing to do.

OP, call an HVAC
serviceman to do the job and realize your limitations ; at the same
time, he can check out the freon level, do preventive maintenance
routines, and tell you the overall performance of the entire system
including the inside Unit with Cooling Coil.

Now THAT'S absurd.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
You can try this: With all the power off, look at the contacts on
the power relay. The contacts may be pitted or burnt, thereby
preventing a good connection. If so, more life can sometimes be
extracted from the relay by filing the contacts down to a smoother
surface. This may buy you some time to get a replacement.

While you're at it, might as well replace the capacitors.- Hide
quoted text -

Where can I find the power relay? Is this on the outside unit, or
inside on the furnace unit?

Outside unit. Remove the removable panel and there it sits. Trace the main
power wires - they go to the relay. It works like this: The wires from the
thermostat in the house (24v) activate the relay which supplies mains power
to the compressor and fan. At up to 30, 40, or more amps, you can see this
little relay is switching a LOT of power. It is this raw power that burns
the relay's contacts. The contacts, over time, become pitted or deformed
just like the contact points in the older type automotive distributor.

Before you touch anything, take several digital pictures so that, if a wire
pops off, you'll know where it went.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Someone has already mentioned blown capacitors.
Whenever severe weather comes through the area,
all the HVAC and refrigeration repair techs are
running around like ants to replace all the blown
Chinese made start and run capacitors.

It was just beginning to storm when the problem started last night. I
called around and found a service tech who will come out to diagonose
the problem for $50. Having no experience with capacitors (and
understanding the dangers of them discharging even when disconnected
from a power source) I'm fine with letting a pro take a look at it.
Hopefully it's just the capacitor and a relatively inexpensive
repair.

No danger. AC capacitors do not store charges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

I don't know why they keep using unreliable capacitors on motors when it
is totally unnecessary. Motors can be made with start and run windings
with centrifugal switches which last much longer than caps and are
simple and cheap to replace. Must be the cheapness of Americans.

That's because the majority of us Americans are
the decedents of Europeans.

sticks tongue out and blows a bronks cheer

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 2:45*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mike wrote:
Someone has already mentioned blown capacitors.
Whenever severe weather comes through the area,
all the HVAC and refrigeration repair techs are
running around like ants to replace all the blown
Chinese made start and run capacitors.

It was just beginning to storm when the problem started last night. I
called around and found a service tech who will come out to diagonose
the problem for $50. Having no experience with capacitors (and
understanding the dangers of them discharging even when disconnected
from a power source) I'm fine with letting a pro take a look at it.
Hopefully it's just the capacitor and a relatively inexpensive
repair.

No danger. AC capacitors do not store charges.

They do store charge, if the power is removed at the non-zero voltage
crossing. Please know what you are talking about, as misinformation
could kill in this case if the capacitor was charged to the peak of
the 240 V supply, about 300 Volts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Trip charge, plus an hour's labor, plus the cost of the
capacitor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On Jun 26, 7:30 am, " wrote:

On Jun 26, 7:03 am, Mike wrote:

[...]

I dealt with thieving HVAC repairmen for years before becoming disgusted
enough to learn to do much of my own servicing. It's about the only
business I know where failure of a $20 part can result in a $2000 repair
bill. That said, there are limits to what one can do without equipment
that justifies a service call by someone who has it already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cjt wrote:

On Jun 26, 7:30 am, " wrote:

On Jun 26, 7:03 am, Mike wrote:

[...]

Not everyone who repairs HVAC equipment is going to
rip you off. Just like all the trades, there are some
contractors who give the rest a bad name. I have to
defend the majority of "all" trades. Word will get
around pretty quick if you gouge people no matter
what service is provided.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Turned out to be a blown capacitor. Repair guy showed up at 7pm Friday
night, had it fixed by 7:30. Ended up costing $50 for the service
call, and $85 to put in the new capacitor. Coulda been worse...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 4:47*pm, Mike wrote:
Turned out to be a blown capacitor. Repair guy showed up at 7pm Friday
night, had it fixed by 7:30. Ended up costing $50 for the service
call, and $85 to put in the new capacitor. Coulda been worse...

I hope you watched and learned. Nothing all that technical about it
was there? Next time you won't be held hostage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Turned out to be a blown capacitor. Repair guy showed up at 7pm Friday
night, had it fixed by 7:30. Ended up costing $50 for the service
call, and $85 to put in the new capacitor. Coulda been worse...

We would have charged $65.00 for the call and
$25.00 for the capacitor.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sad that there are crooks in the AC field. A couple
years ago, a news team did a sting, and found that many of
the techs who showed up either didn't find the problem (one
wire unconnected) or did other damage while they were
working. That's a shame.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"cjt" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

and that's why you read the advice on this and other lists.
Talk to your neighbors. See who they have used, and ask if
they are pleased.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I dealt with thieving HVAC repairmen for years before
becoming disgusted
enough to learn to do much of my own servicing. It's
about the only
business I know where failure of a $20 part can result in
a $2000 repair
bill. That said, there are limits to what one can do
without equipment
that justifies a service call by someone who has it
already.

Not everyone who repairs HVAC equipment is going to
rip you off. Just like all the trades, there are some
contractors who give the rest a bad name. I have to
defend the majority of "all" trades. Word will get
around pretty quick if you gouge people no matter
what service is provided.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a reasonable price. Thanks for letting us know
what was the problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mike" wrote in message
Turned out to be a blown capacitor. Repair guy showed up at
7pm Friday
night, had it fixed by 7:30. Ended up costing $50 for the
service
call, and $85 to put in the new capacitor. Coulda been
worse...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope he got several of the guy's business cards. To hand
out to his neighbors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 4:47 pm, Mike wrote:
Turned out to be a blown capacitor. Repair guy showed up
at 7pm Friday
night, had it fixed by 7:30. Ended up costing $50 for the
service
call, and $85 to put in the new capacitor. Coulda been
worse...

I hope you watched and learned. Nothing all that technical
about it
was there? Next time you won't be held hostage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I dealt with thieving HVAC repairmen for years before becoming disgusted
enough to learn to do much of my own servicing. It's about the only
business I know where failure of a $20 part can result in a $2000 repair
bill.

You have obviously never taken your car to a transmission shop.

And with respect to one of the previous posts, can one even buy a made
in USA capacitor any more?
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

zzyzzx wrote:
I dealt with thieving HVAC repairmen for years before becoming disgusted
enough to learn to do much of my own servicing. It's about the only
business I know where failure of a $20 part can result in a $2000 repair
bill.

You have obviously never taken your car to a transmission shop.

That's pretty nearly correct -- I generally drive cars with manual
transmissions, which rarely fail.

And with respect to one of the previous posts, can one even buy a made
in USA capacitor any more?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike posted for all of us...

Turned out to be a blown capacitor. Repair guy showed up at 7pm Friday
night, had it fixed by 7:30. Ended up costing $50 for the service
call, and $85 to put in the new capacitor. Coulda been worse...

You got a deal! At those prices he won't be in business long.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.