DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281094-replacing-fan-high-ceiling-ideas.html)

The Streets June 26th 09 03:02 AM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from
a high ceiling. The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the
fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder.
But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point
would require scaffolding.

Is there some safe and legal way to splice the wires
from a new fan motor to the existing wires in the
down rod so that I don't have to go all the way to
the ceiling to connect the new fan?

Eric in North TX June 26th 09 05:29 AM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

On Jun 25, 8:02*pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from
a high ceiling. *The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the
fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder.
But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point
would require scaffolding.

Is there some safe and legal way to splice the wires
from a new fan motor to the existing wires in the
down rod so that I don't have to go all the way to
the ceiling to connect the new fan?

I don't have actual experience with this, but logic tells me the
original one was just wire nutted at the end of the down rod to begin
with. I did sell ceiling fans briefly when the first became popular in
the '80s & if someone wanted a down rod install, we sold them the same
fan we would have for a normal install, + a down rod kit.

Bob M. June 27th 09 07:38 AM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

"The Streets" wrote in message
m...
I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from
a high ceiling. The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the
fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder.
But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point
would require scaffolding.

Is there some safe and legal way to splice the wires
from a new fan motor to the existing wires in the
down rod so that I don't have to go all the way to
the ceiling to connect the new fan?

Perhaps you can touch the fan with your 10' ladder, but can you stand on it
and hold the heavy motor and wire it up, without falling?

tim birr June 27th 09 07:42 PM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

On Jun 25, 6:02*pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from
a high ceiling. *The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the
fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder.
But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point
would require scaffolding.
SNIP

I am not much at electrical know-how, but had a somewhat similiar
problem this winter when I needed to paint my stairway and replace the
horrible old stairway light -- also some twenty or so feet up.

Building some scaffolding was not all that difficult. I followed some
tips on I think it was the Bob Vila website, which was basically to
get some sturdy ladders and get a sturdy plank to stretch between the
ladders.

For my project, on the stairs, I just ran the plank from a small
ladder at the top of the stairs, straight across to an extension
ladder I wedged in at the bottom of the stairs. I really hate
heights, but it was really sturdy and worked well.

Something along that line, only with two tall sturdy ladders and a
helper or two might work for you.

benick[_2_] June 29th 09 12:06 AM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

"tim birr" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 6:02 pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
[...]

OR you could go rent a couple of lifts of pipe staging with a couple of
alluminum staging planks...OR you could buy the same since you have a high
cathedral that will need paint or other work in the future...Check Craigs
list or your local paper for used ones..ALOT of construction companies going
out of business or scaling back...There are good deals out there right
now...

AZ Nomad[_2_] June 29th 09 12:25 AM

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:02:58 -0400, The Streets wrote:
I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from
a high ceiling. The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the
fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder.
But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point
would require scaffolding.

Is there some safe and legal way to splice the wires
from a new fan motor to the existing wires in the
down rod so that I don't have to go all the way to
the ceiling to connect the new fan?

no

Rent or buy the scafolding, a taller ladder, or hire somebody.

Red Green July 11th 09 06:14 PM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

tim birr wrote in news:b2005dd0-133f-49b7-80a7-
:

I would never admit to using anything that fat-**** Sears Whore said.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] July 11th 09 08:01 PM

wrote:
[...]

I used a single Extension Trestle Ladder to do that same job.
Rental companies usually have them.

http://www.laddersafety.org/ls/Content.aspx?pageid=87

TDD

stan July 12th 09 05:08 AM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Wow!
Homes with 20 foot ceilings sound impractical?
Do they increase the heating (cooling) bill?

Smitty Two July 12th 09 05:58 AM

Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

In article
,
stan wrote:

Wow!
Homes with 20 foot ceilings sound impractical?
Do they increase the heating (cooling) bill?

Nah. They just trade some second-floor square footage for the drama of
cathedral ceilings.