DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Perimeter insecticide: Which one? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281093-perimeter-insecticide-one.html)

[email protected] June 26th 09 01:06 AM

Perimeter insecticide: Which one?

I want to buys some kind of insecticide to spay around
outside of perimeter of home to keep bugs down.... ALL
kinds of bugs

There are many brands to chose from.

Any advice or links to reviews and what really works
well? best bang for buck, et?

Robert Neville June 26th 09 02:39 AM

wrote:

I want to buys some kind of insecticide to spay around
outside of perimeter of home to keep bugs down.... ALL
kinds of bugs

There are many brands to chose from.

Any advice or links to reviews and what really works
well? best bang for buck, et?

Diazanon worked very well. Unfortunately some golf courses were using it near
water hazards, and it didn't do the migratory waterfowl a lot of good, so they
pulled it off the market a few years ago. I'd just go with whatever the major
brands like Ortho are offering and hope for the best.

By the way - if you are hoping for an electric fence type of action, you're
going to be disappointed. Most bugs take up klan residence and don't move in and
out.

I've tried to convince the spousal unit that it would be far more effective
keeping the floors cleaner and thus removing the bugs food source than spraying
the foundation and putting bug traps everywhere. That isn't well received...

Pete C. June 26th 09 03:05 AM

Robert Neville wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Use a good outdoor perimeter insecticide, as well as an interior one.

Red Green June 26th 09 05:14 AM

Perimeter insecticide: Which one?

Robert Neville wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Many bugs are just looking for the environment; heat, cool, water, light,
shelter, cable TV, etc and has nothing to do with cleanliness.

That isn't well received...

Maybe well deserved...but on the other hand I've seen some lazy pigs too.

LouB[_2_] June 26th 09 07:49 AM

The Real Bev wrote:
Robert Neville wrote:

wrote:

I want to buys some kind of insecticide to spay around
outside of perimeter of home to keep bugs down.... ALL
kinds of bugs

There are many brands to chose from.

Any advice or links to reviews and what really works
well? best bang for buck, et?

Diazanon worked very well. Unfortunately some golf courses were using
it near
water hazards, and it didn't do the migratory waterfowl a lot of good,
so they
pulled it off the market a few years ago. I'd just go with whatever
the major
brands like Ortho are offering and hope for the best.

I like their Home Defense. It works and doesn't stink. Terro is good
(or bad, actually!) for ants.

By the way - if you are hoping for an electric fence type of action,
you're
going to be disappointed. Most bugs take up klan residence and don't
move in and
out.

I've tried to convince the spousal unit that it would be far more
effective
keeping the floors cleaner and thus removing the bugs food source than
spraying
the foundation and putting bug traps everywhere. That isn't well
received...

That doesn't explain why ants enter, march around the rim of the bathtub
and then exit.

I bought a package ot Terro.
Put package next to sink.
NO more ants.
And I NEVER opened the package.
Sometimes a show of force is all that is needed:-))

Lou

Rod Speed June 26th 09 10:51 AM

The Real Bev wrote:
Robert Neville wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thats because they are pervert ants, stupid.

Frank[_13_] June 26th 09 12:12 PM

wrote:
I want to buys some kind of insecticide to spay around
outside of perimeter of home to keep bugs down.... ALL
kinds of bugs

There are many brands to chose from.

Any advice or links to reviews and what really works
well? best bang for buck, et?

I just sprinkled some Spectracide ant shield around house.
Like other stuff I tried, I don't expect it to work but they do
guarantee money back if it doesn't.

Earlier this year, I went around perimeter of the house with three
different materials and still got ants in the house.

[email protected][_2_] June 26th 09 01:07 PM

Perimeter insecticide: Which one?

clipped
I've tried to convince the spousal unit that it would be far more
effective
keeping the floors cleaner and thus removing the bugs food source
than spraying
the foundation and putting bug traps everywhere. That isn't well
received...

That doesn't explain why ants enter, march around the rim of the
bathtub and then exit.

I bought a package ot Terro.
Put package next to sink.
NO more ants.
And I NEVER opened the package.
Sometimes a show of force is all that is needed:-))

Lou

Psychological warfare? :o) Cleanliness is one solution. Plugging gaps,
like pipe entries, is another. Bugs move in when there is food or
shelter. All kinds of ants (fire, carpenter) like my flower pots when
there is too much rain and the ground is wetter than they desire. Bugs
also move in to seek moisture. I lived in one house that always had
ants in the bathroom; no food there but for occ. smear of toothpaste.
Roaches LOVE a pile of paper grocery sacks, old envelopes (glue is ROACH
FOOD), corrugated boxes, etc. We closed up our camper for too long and
forgot to remove all food. Roaches chewed into my rubber flip-flops and
chewed through unopened paper inner wrap on Ritz crackers. Nasty!

zxcvbob June 26th 09 01:56 PM

wrote:
I want to buys some kind of insecticide to spay around
outside of perimeter of home to keep bugs down.... ALL
kinds of bugs

There are many brands to chose from.

Any advice or links to reviews and what really works
well? best bang for buck, et?

Chlordane (wait, they banned it)
Heptachlor (banned)
Dursban (you guessed it)
Diazinon (yep)

Guess you're out of luck.

Bob

WhiteTea77581 June 26th 09 04:02 PM

On Jun 26, 7:56*am, zxcvbob wrote:
wrote:
I want to buys some kind of insecticide to spay around
outside of perimeter of home to keep bugs down.... ALL
kinds of bugs

There are many brands to chose from.

Any advice or links to reviews and what really works
well? *best bang for buck, et?

Chlordane *(wait, they banned it)
Heptachlor (banned)
Dursban * *(you guessed it)
Diazinon * (yep)

Guess you're out of luck.

Bob

Hey Bob, you are giving out "negative vibes."

Andy

Plague Boy June 27th 09 05:12 AM

Perimeter insecticide: Which one?

Rod Speed wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

snip

That doesn't explain why ants enter, march around the rim of the
bathtub and then exit.

Thats because they are pervert ants, stupid.

Don't be ridiculous. This behavior is caused by playing Dave
Matthews Band CDs.

HTH,

--
PB
"I suspect you're an arrogant little ****ant who grew up in the

Rod Speed June 27th 09 06:19 AM

Perimeter insecticide: Which one?

Plague Boy wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Real Bev wrote

That doesn't explain why ants enter, march around the rim of the bathtub and then exit.

Thats because they are pervert ants, stupid.

Don't be ridiculous. This behavior is caused by playing Dave Matthews Band CDs.

Bugger, why didnt someone tell me before now ?

HTH,

It does indeed.