Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to kill hornets - unusual situation - Pics available

I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because they
are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. You can see them at:
http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 11:58*am, wrote:
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. *The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because they
are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. *You can see them at:
* * * *http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Dust where they go in and out with a little sevin dust. They will take
it into the nest. It may take a week but this is abou the easiest way
to get rid of them. If you can gently blow a little under the steps
with a vacuum cleaner that good too.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because they
are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. You can see them at:
http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Looks like enough openings to hit with the canned wasp spray. Just
squirt in. It will knock down any hornets exposed immediately with
little danger to you. If you can find nest opening, one shot may be
enough to do them all in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 12:08*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 25, 11:58*am, wrote:

I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. *The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because they
are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. *You can see them at:
* * * *http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Dust where they go in and out with a little sevin dust. They will take
it into the nest. It may take a week but this is abou the easiest way
to get rid of them. If you can gently blow a little under the steps
with a vacuum cleaner that good too.

Jimmie

I've had success with that on yellow jacket nests when they get behind
the siding. They get some of that Sevin on them and contaminate their
nest with it.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 11:58*am, wrote:

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because they
are very aggressive.

How difficult would it be to move the steps as a unit? I can't tell
if they're attached to the house.

IME I have never seen such a situation where the hornets were not
nesting in the ground under the porch slab, entering between there and
foundation.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. *You can see them at:
* * * *http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Your best option might be to throw a tarp over the steps, stuff it
into the perimeter cracks then introduce an insecticidal dust.

I like Delta Dust http://www.pestproductsonline.com/Labels-MSDS/A003L.pdf
but hornets are pretty tough, it might take awhile.

A bulb duster is my preferred method of dust application.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/dustext1.JPG

Another (/additional) option might be to squirt the steps in their
entirety with Tempo WP, but that's also going to take awhile.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/te...-wp-p-236.html

If you can seal all but 1 or 2 cracks you can, at night, fire up the
lawnmower and rest it against the steps. Then use any hornet/wasp
freeze spray and shoot their asses as they come out to get you.

I always liked to have a minimum of 3 cans of spray, and a backup
shooter. Plus, you might want to test the sprayers in the store
before purchase, just give it a little squirt. I attacked a nest
once, pulled the trigger and got nothing, and got the same from my
backup.

You've got a job on your hands.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are right to try to be VERY careful because hornets can be very
aggressive.

Looking at the pictures, you may have a few different options.

Here's a link with some information, although it doesn't quite describe your
situation. But it does talk about doing it at night, being careful with
using any flashlight and how to do that, etc.

http://unexco.com/gallery/hornets.html#diy

The idea of doing whatever you do at night, after it is totally dark out,
makes sense and I have done that. The main reason is that the hornets are
at home. If you kill them then rather than in the daytime, you won't have
to worry about returning hornets that were out during the day when you
sprayed, and which will keep trying to get back into the nest for a day or
two. It's best to hit them when they are all inside.

You may have some advantages based on the photos. If it's a screen door,
you may be able to spray through the screen from the inside and be
completely protected while you spray.

I see the tube through the door that you used to pour ammonia down onto the
steps etc. Ammonia etc. won't work. You need a chemical pesticide spray.
One of the best is any brand of hornet spray as others have suggested. The
hornet spray does stun them and knock them down when it hits them.

If it is possible to spray through the screen from the inside, I would do
that first -- at night, in the dark, with no lights on inside the room where
the door is. I would start with hornet spray. You may have a problem with
the spray splashing back on you as it hits the screen. Another option may
be to take the screen out, then either spray though the slats in the outside
door or maybe (at night) open the door, spray quickly down onto the steps
and cracks, then close the door quickly before they can get to you.

Or, you can do it from the outside -- at night. Get two cans of hornet
spray -- one for each hand. Cover up well, including maybe some kind of
veil over your head. Slowly sneak up fairly close to the steps, and don't
stomp around creating vibrations. Spray the steps where you know they go in
and out and along other cracks and crevices, and then leave the area.

I did this at night for a ground level nest of hornets. It worked fine.
They can't really figure out what to do fast enough to really get you at
night, especially if you don't have a flashlight in your hand. They don't
know where you are.

wrote:
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door.
The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where
hornets can get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because
they are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. You can see them at:
http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 1:53*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:59:10 -0700 (PDT), gpsman

wrote:
IME I have never seen such a situation where the hornets were not
nesting in the ground under the porch slab, entering between there and
foundation.

You may be confusing yellow jackets with the other members of the
hornet family.

Maybe. I was a PCO, not a entomologist, so they're all effectively
wasps/hornets to me.

This is one that was built in the base of an unused gas grill
(the one I killed)http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/Glorias_hornet_nest.jpg

That's a good'n.

http://i41.tinypic.com/fjp5ah.jpg
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

once you solve this problem drill some convenient holes in the base in
case you get new tenants in the future.

one time they moved into my hollw metal raining.

at night i sealed the access holes with many wraps of elecvtric tape,
they pushed at it for a couple days.

they had stung me repeatedly
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 11:58 am, wrote:
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets
can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because they
are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. You can see them at:
http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dust where they go in and out with a little sevin dust. They will take
it into the nest. It may take a week but this is abou the easiest way
to get rid of them. If you can gently blow a little under the steps
with a vacuum cleaner that good too.

Jimmie

Buy a couple of cans of Wasp and Hornet spray..(NOT the foam) Put on a
hooded sweatshirt(put the hood up),gloves , eye protection and jeans or
heavy pants..Gently tie a 20 foot piece of rope to the steps..Pull the steps
out where you can get at the back of them where they are open so you can see
the nest..Get a helper if you think it's to heavy for you...Run like hell to
the car or other safe area till they calm down...Usually an hour or
so...From inside the house you probably can see the nest or where they are
swarming..Use binoculars if needed....Wait till dark then comence the
chemical attack wearing the clohing already mentioned..Use a flashlight to
identify the nest..TURN IT OFF BEFORE SPRAYING...Spray again the next night
if needed...Put steps back...Good Luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door.
The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where
hornets can get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because
they are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. You can see them at:
http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Call me crazy, but I'd duct tape up all of the cracks and seal them in there
for awhile.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Great photos, thank you. Very helpful.

I'd be tempted to go out about 11 PM, and give a yank on the
railing. Pull away from the house. See if you can get the
entire set of stairs to flip up on end.

Then, you can do the hornet spray routine. Spray right onto
the nest.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside
a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks
where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain
access because they
are very aggressive.

In a previous post I was asked for pictures. You can see
them at:
http://j7000.com/stairs/stairs.pdf

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in message
I'd be tempted to go out about 11 PM, and give a yank on the
railing. Pull away from the house. See if you can get the
entire set of stairs to flip up on end.

And how would you "yank on the railing" and "pull away from the house"
exactly? That's some damned heavy wood with a minimum of leverage available
to human bone-and-muscle torque. Unless you're saying you're another
Conan...

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ranger" wrote in
:

Stormin Mormon wrote in message
I'd be tempted to go out about 11 PM, and give a yank on the
railing. Pull away from the house. See if you can get the
entire set of stairs to flip up on end.

And how would you "yank on the railing" and "pull away from the house"
exactly? That's some damned heavy wood with a minimum of leverage
available to human bone-and-muscle torque. Unless you're saying you're
another Conan...

The Ranger

How about tie a rope on it then to a vehicle. Slowly pull it away from
the house at night. Next night when hopefully they are settled again
serve them cocktails.

Put warning sign on inside of door not to go out or tape on exit latch
while steps are away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Without being there, I don't know how heavy the wood is. I
have a metal steps thing outside my back door. And, I flip
it over with a yank on the metal railing. My front steps,
same deal. No railing, so I have to slide em out, and pull
on the top step.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Ranger" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote in
message
I'd be tempted to go out about 11 PM, and give a yank on
the
railing. Pull away from the house. See if you can get the
entire set of stairs to flip up on end.

And how would you "yank on the railing" and "pull away from
the house"
exactly? That's some damned heavy wood with a minimum of
leverage available
to human bone-and-muscle torque. Unless you're saying you're
another
Conan...

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

No, I'm not in the ER but I dod have to go away for a few days. Before I
left, I shot Sevin into the cracks as best as I could and dusted the area
where they were landing and crawling in. Since returning two days ago we
have not seen any activity. Banging hard on the steps in the afternoon
with a long board produced no activity so I think the problem is resolved.
In the next couple of days I will try to remove a step or two (I hoped no
adhesive was used) and then I'll be certain.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:36:40 -0400, "BetaB4" wrote:

wrote:
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door.
The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where
hornets can get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because
they are very aggressive.

So, did you try anything yet? Or, maybe you did and you're in the E.R.
right now and won't have access to a computer until you get out and the
swelling goes down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the Sevin treatment worked. If you continue to see no further
activity, I don't see any point in trying to take one or two of the steps
off. The stairs look good in the pictures, so you may not want to damage
them by trying to take them apart. And, since there is no activity, you
could always just do a secondary treatment now in all of the crevices etc.,
now that it is safe to do so.

wrote:
I have a set of two wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door.
The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where
hornets can get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access because
they are very aggressive.

So, did you try anything yet? Or, maybe you did and you're in the E.R.
right now and won't have access to a computer until you get out and the
swelling goes down.

How to kill hornets - special situation [email protected] Home Repair 39 June 26th 09 02:38 AM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 03:03 AM
Hornets Jim Home Repair 17 August 21st 05 08:49 PM
How to remove multiple hornets/wasps nests from attic... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 15 June 5th 05 02:47 PM
Preventing wasps & hornets from behind shutters Alan Sung Home Ownership 1 May 19th 05 08:28 PM