Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Difference between downspout crimper and duct/stove pipe crimper?

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:14:37 -0500, Larry Dawson
wrote:

I'm redoing a couple of our downspouts to accommodate rain barrels. I
can't find a downspout crimper locally. Guy at Menards insisted the
duct/stove pipe crimper they have is the same thing. It appears to be
the same as the Malco downspout crimper I found online, both are
5-bladed. In looking over Malco's site they have identical looking
crimpers for both purposes. The difference I could find is in the
throat depth, 31.8mm for the downspout crimper, 41.3mm for the round
pipe crimper. That's a big difference in the lenth of the 'crimp'. Any
opinions on whether the one I bought will work as well on the
downspouts? Yep, I know, grab one and see, but I haven't cut or pulled
any down yet, want to have all the stuff I need before I start.

Thanks for your help.
Larry Dawson

I can not recall where I saw the plans, but I made a metal crimping
tool from three metal scraps and bolt/lock nut. Does an equal job as
a $40 specialty tool and lasts forever. Great for metal ductwork or
rainspouts. For downspouts I use aluminum rivets to secure them in
place.