DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   deck sealing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/281027-deck-sealing.html)

cj June 25th 09 11:45 AM

deck sealing

all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the
deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to
go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip
the deck first?

thanks, cj

Jim Elbrecht June 25th 09 12:02 PM

deck sealing

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:45:47 -0400, cj wrote:

all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the
deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to
go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip
the deck first?

I'm guessing the Thompsons is a yearly thing. Good that you
didn't use it this time, but Penofin will cut your labor in 1/2 or
1/3. [and look better longer to boot]

In my house, I'd say 'OK dear. Go pick out exactly what shade of
Penofin you want." By the time she got around to it the deck
would need a new coat anyway.

If it really bothered her & she ran right out and did it, I'd put it
on the bottom of my list. . . and by the time I got around to it the
deck would need a new coat anyway.

Jim

ransley June 25th 09 12:15 PM

deck sealing

On Jun 25, 5:45*am, cj wrote:
all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the
deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to
go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip
the deck first?

thanks, cj

I wouldnt use a different product , something different might peel as
you dont know chemical makeup, original Thomsons main water proof
ingredient is wax and not nothing sticks to wax. I think you might be
able to put in paint "Universal" tint , its used for stains also. Call
Thompsons and ask if it can be tinted and if it will bond, read the
can it may say. Consumer Reports has a long term paint and stain test
going on for maybe 10 years, Thompsons was dropped years ago from the
test because it was the worst performer, I would not change this year
because of chemical compatibility, but dont believe advertising, and
thats how Thompsons made its name.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] June 25th 09 01:11 PM

deck sealing

cj wrote:
all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the
deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to
go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip
the deck first?

thanks, cj

Easier to get another wife.

TDD

Phisherman[_2_] June 25th 09 09:05 PM

deck sealing

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:45:47 -0400, cj wrote:

all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the
deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to
go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip
the deck first?

thanks, cj

Wait, maybe a year, for the Thompsons stuff to wear off.

ransley June 25th 09 11:16 PM

deck sealing

On Jun 25, 3:05*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:45:47 -0400, cj wrote:
all of the sudden my wife decided that she doesn't like the color of the
deck sealant(thompson's) i applied less than a month ago. she wants to
go a bit darker in the color...can i just restain or do i have to strip
the deck first?

thanks, cj

Wait, maybe a year, for the Thompsons stuff to wear off.

With thompsons original wax finish, in 6-9 months it might be gone