Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting a Large Tool Box Out of the Back of a Toyota Tundra?

Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky task. My
son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's working outside
the country. He left a large tool box in the back that may weight 100 or
more pounds. I'd like to get it out. It's on its side and has caster wheels.
The truck bed has a camper shell. I can probably slide the box onto the bed,
but getting it on the ground is likely a real challenge. I don't think I can
just put up some 2x6s or plywood and slide it down. Any ideas?

Maybe removing tools would help, but since the trays are vertical, that
might be difficult.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky task.
My son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's working
outside the country. He left a large tool box in the back that may
weight 100 or more pounds. I'd like to get it out. It's on its side and
has caster wheels. The truck bed has a camper shell. I can probably
slide the box onto the bed, but getting it on the ground is likely a
real challenge. I don't think I can just put up some 2x6s or plywood and
slide it down. Any ideas?

Maybe removing tools would help, but since the trays are vertical, that
might be difficult.

Two strong teenagers
Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky task.
My son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's working
outside the country. He left a large tool box in the back that may
weight 100 or more pounds. I'd like to get it out.

Borrow a 'Cherry Picker' engine hoist.
http://affordabletool.com/ebay/image...gine-hoist.jpg

Lift toolbox, drive out from underneath.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky
task. My son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's
working outside the country. He left a large tool box in the back
that may weight 100 or more pounds. I'd like to get it out. It's on
its side and has caster wheels. The truck bed has a camper shell. I
can probably slide the box onto the bed, but getting it on the ground
is likely a real challenge. I don't think I can just put up some 2x6s
or plywood and slide it down. Any ideas?
Maybe removing tools would help, but since the trays are vertical,
that might be difficult.

I got a 400 lb fireplace insert into and out of my van using a couple 2x6's.

Slide the box to the back, with the end not quite 1/2 way out. Tip it onto the
boards which are on the bumper, and slide it down.

If the box is full, empty it and then remove it.

Or, just get a couple friends to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky task. My
son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's working
outside the country. He left a large tool box in the back that may weight
100 or more pounds. I'd like to get it out. It's on its side and has
caster wheels. The truck bed has a camper shell. I can probably slide the
box onto the bed, but getting it on the ground is likely a real challenge.
I don't think I can just put up some 2x6s or plywood and slide it down.
Any ideas?

Maybe removing tools would help, but since the trays are vertical, that
might be difficult.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Tie a strong long rope to it. Drop the tailgate. Tie the other end of the
rope to a tree or stationary object. Peel out in first gear so the box is
pulled off quickly and drops straight down instead of tumbling and rolling.
The wheels will be crushed, but other than that, it should be okay. The
trick is get the rpms up in the 5,000 range and then to pop the clutch.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:
Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky
task. My son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's
working outside the country. He left a large tool box in the back that
may weight 100 or more pounds. I'd like to get it out. It's on its
side and has caster wheels. The truck bed has a camper shell. I can
probably slide the box onto the bed, but getting it on the ground is
likely a real challenge. I don't think I can just put up some 2x6s or
plywood and slide it down. Any ideas?

Maybe removing tools would help, but since the trays are vertical,
that might be difficult.

Two strong teenagers

Not bad. I think two very strong 30 year olds, one was my son, put it in there.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

Good possibilities. I think I know two guys who could do it. Hadn't thought
of asking them.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:53:56 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky task. My
son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's working outside
the country. He left a large tool box in the back that may weight 100 or
more pounds. I'd like to get it out. It's on its side and has caster wheels.
The truck bed has a camper shell. I can probably slide the box onto the bed,
but getting it on the ground is likely a real challenge. I don't think I can
just put up some 2x6s or plywood and slide it down. Any ideas?

Maybe removing tools would help, but since the trays are vertical, that
might be difficult.

Well, I had a 300-pound box to unload off my Tundra. My driveway is
sloped so I positioned the back end toward uphill, making the heavy
box just a foot up off the ground, worked almost like a loading dock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote in
:

W. eWatson wrote:
Aside from my blade difficulty just posted, I have another tricky
task. My son left me his Tundra for several years with me while he's
working outside the country. He left a large tool box in the back
that may weight 100 or more pounds. I'd like to get it out. It's on
its side and has caster wheels. The truck bed has a camper shell. I
can probably slide the box onto the bed, but getting it on the ground
is likely a real challenge. I don't think I can just put up some 2x6s
or plywood and slide it down. Any ideas?

Maybe removing tools would help, but since the trays are vertical,
that might be difficult.

the tools are probably all over the place inside the box.

Lower the tail gate then back up real fast and slam the brakes on. It
should slide right out.

near a sturdy tree,tie rope around tree and toolbox.
drive truck SLOWLY away from tree until the toolbox is partway off the
tailgate,then put ramp in place and slide toolbox down ramp.
you can brace yourself against a wheelwell and use your LEGS to push box
the rest of the way.Or you could use a cheap "comealong" to haul it out.

you could make a simple wheeled platform that's level with the truck
bed,and slide the toolbox onto that.Then tip it over to get the toolbox
onto it's casters.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Rusted Out Tacoma/Tundra Frames ATP* Metalworking 0 May 10th 09 03:03 AM
FIX: Toyota / Fujtsu Ten Limited CD player - Model SD-1619TM1 PN? 08601-00804 / Toyota compact Disc deck 34203 Robin Taylor Electronics Repair 4 August 7th 08 12:29 PM
OT and long, 2007 Tundra Leon Woodworking 52 July 31st 07 11:46 PM
TUNDRA SWAN J T Woodworking 0 January 17th 05 10:18 PM
Supplier of large briefcase-like tool cases? D.M. Procida UK diy 7 July 11th 03 03:14 PM