Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rabbits galore

Ulysses wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Yanik wrote:
WTF do you think a fence will stop a burrowing animal for more than,
oh, maybe a minute and a half?
you -bury- the bottom foot of the fencing.

Won't work - at least according to the Secretary of Homeland Security.

She is on record as saying "Build a 15-foot fence and I'll show you a

rabbit
that can dig a 16-foot hole."

Or something like that - she goes on to discuss mayonnaise if I recall
correctly.

I'm trying to grow tomatoes in pots. The pots are tall enough so that a
rabbit can't reach the plants standing on it's hind legs. The pots are
tightly surrounded by chicken wire that is closed at the top. There are no
openings bigger than the chicken wire openings. It is electrified by an
electric fence gizmo. Something is still eating my new plants. I didn't
even suspect the squirrels. Now I'm suspecting mice.

I was trying to grow some grass for my dog to roll around in. The rabbits
kept eating the new sprouts all the way to the ground. I shot one from
about 50' in the rear thigh with a BB gun pumped only three times. It died.
I was just trying to scare it away. I suspect a pellet gun would be more
than adequate. Last year the rabbits ate my tomato plants. Instead of
eating the leaves or tomatoes they chew off the main stalk at ground level,
thus destroying their food supply. I think the tomato plants are smarter
than the rabbits.

The rabbits are Democrats silly, I thought everyone knew that.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in
:

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Red" wrote in message

... On Jun 24, 7:00 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:

you can buy 9mm air rifles that definitely kill them.
your ordinary BB gun will not.

9mm?? That's a standard firearm round. What kind of air supply does
one need to shoot that thru an air rifle?

they have their own tank/reservoir.Prefilled.

Red

Yeah, I'd like to see one of those. Does it require an air hose with
a heavy duty compressor?

either hand pump or scuba tank. 2900 PSI or more.

Steve

They seem to be popular in countries such as Australia where everyone
can't just go buy a regular gun.

Precharged Pneumatic(PCP)

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=307
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun

Custom air gun manufacturers regularly produce air rifles in common muzzle
(14.5 mm) and larger.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

Ah,mice could touch the fencing and not make a current path to ground;the
pots are not conductive.
I suspect your other connection is to the ground itself,so any animal would
have to touch both ground and the fence to get a zap.
if a mouse leapt onto the fencing,it would not make a complete circuit for
curent to flow.

I was trying to grow some grass for my dog to roll around in. The
rabbits kept eating the new sprouts all the way to the ground. I shot
one from about 50' in the rear thigh with a BB gun pumped only three
times. It died. I was just trying to scare it away. I suspect a
pellet gun would be more than adequate. Last year the rabbits ate my
tomato plants. Instead of eating the leaves or tomatoes they chew off
the main stalk at ground level, thus destroying their food supply. I
think the tomato plants are smarter than the rabbits.

you must really like homegrown tomatoes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Ulysses" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

There is enough voltage that, if I'm standing on damp ground and wearing
vinly/rubber/whatever-they-are-made-of sneakers, I'll still get a shock if I
touch the chicken wire. Yes, one side is connected to ground but I *think*
I'm insulated. Maybe not. The tomato plants are well grounded even though
they are in pots, as long as I water them well. But, like you said, the
mice are too small to make a complete circuit if the tomato plant is still
small. Now if I could just get that snake that's been hanging around to
stay and eat the mice...

I was trying to grow some grass for my dog to roll around in. The
rabbits kept eating the new sprouts all the way to the ground. I shot
one from about 50' in the rear thigh with a BB gun pumped only three
times. It died. I was just trying to scare it away. I suspect a
pellet gun would be more than adequate. Last year the rabbits ate my
tomato plants. Instead of eating the leaves or tomatoes they chew off
the main stalk at ground level, thus destroying their food supply. I
think the tomato plants are smarter than the rabbits.

you must really like homegrown tomatoes.

The things they sell at the grocery stores *look* like tomatoes but have no
flavor.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Ulysses wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

That makes sense, but I thought they were jackasses. I guess rabbits look
like jackasses to. I'll have to take another look at their logo.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Ulysses wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

Na, Jackalopes. Mutant Democrats.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Ulysses" wrote in
:

(...)

you must really like homegrown tomatoes.

The things they sell at the grocery stores *look* like tomatoes but have no
flavor.

Ranked by descending hardness:

Diamond
Silicon Carbide
Supermarket Tomato
Corundum
Chrysoberyl

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Winston" wrote in message
Ulysses wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Ulysses" wrote in
:

(...)

you must really like homegrown tomatoes.

The things they sell at the grocery stores *look* like tomatoes but have

no
flavor.

Ranked by descending hardness:

Diamond
Silicon Carbide
Supermarket Tomato
Corundum
Chrysoberyl

LMAO

I was thinking many of them are made by Mattel or Fisher Price.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 1:22 pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I am plagued by hordes of rabbits. They eat everything in sight, especially
tender shoots and newly planted stuff. When they get desperate they will
even eat my Red Apple iceplant.

Within the city limits I cannot use a firearm. Would an air rifle be
powerful enough to kill them? Wonder where they go to die. Will I end up
with Rabbit carcasses all over my garden?

Trapping them sounds like a lot of trouble, especially with the high cost of
gasoline.

Any other drastic remedies?

And no, I do not want to cook them. During the depression my wife and I
collected road-kill rabbits and cooked them for supper. During the war (WW
II Germany) we bred them by the hundreds in our backyard and turned them
into sausage. Fortunately we no longer have a need for such desperate
measures.
Walterwww.rationality.net

You know those springly little mouse traps, well they come
in larger sizes, so get a couple of big ones, (rat traps) peg
them, and bait for rabbit.
We did that for squirrels, cuz they started chewing threw our
screens, worked good. A bloody carcus will have Crows or
Ravens about, so I'd toss it for them, they'll take it away .
Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

LMAO

I was thinking many of them are made by Mattel or Fisher Price.

Crunch! "Thing tastes like a Mr. Potato Head."

--Winston

Paldao galore. Jay Pique Woodworking 0 March 20th 06 01:47 PM
How to get rid of rabbits? mike Home Repair 0 July 6th 05 03:58 AM
Q: How to get rid of rabbits? [email protected] Home Repair 23 July 5th 05 11:44 PM
Rabbits Kevin Rayner UK diy 8 July 10th 04 12:11 AM