Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 30 Guests in a Hot House

Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 3:18*pm, Fleemo wrote:
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

First idea: Think "nude".

Second idea: Assuming the 30 is 15 male, 15 female or something close
to that, the men should do the women a huge favor and go out
someplace, like a bar, or ball game, or a bowling alley.

That way the AC will only have to keep half as many people cool and
they'll be a lot more comfortable.

Remember, you're doing it for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

Places like conventions, areas, and the like, get a head start by chilling
the joint way down in advance. Humans generate a lot of heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 24, 3:18 pm, Fleemo wrote:
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

First idea: Think "nude".

Second idea: Assuming the 30 is 15 male, 15 female or something close
to that, the men should do the women a huge favor and go out
someplace, like a bar, or ball game, or a bowling alley.

That way the AC will only have to keep half as many people cool and
they'll be a lot more comfortable.

Remember, you're doing it for them.

Get some metal five gallon buckets and fill them half full with water,
then put in enough liquid nitrogen to freeze the water and put them
around the house, use as many as necessary.

Cactus Pete

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jun 24, 3:18 pm, Fleemo wrote:
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

First idea: Think "nude".

---

make some sofas and chairs out of 25lb blocks of ice? that might have an
impact on the above suggestion, no telling what would freeze off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 3:58�pm, GoHabsGo wrote:
Fleemo wrote in news:7ede0d91-1929-44ff-8d9e-
:

Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

get some dry ice - cool party effect from it too!

how about a couple cheap used window ACs? preferably from craigslist
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 2:18*pm, Fleemo wrote:
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

When is the last time a real Pro check it out, 83f ? I mean I cant see
it only did 83 new, and I wouldnt have paid for an AC that only did
83, nobody would. So you know for a fact that both coils are clean,
freon is correct and it all checks out, I dont think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:

Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

We bought a misting setup at Costco last year that keeps the patio behind
our house quite pleasant even on hot days. I think it was forty bucks, took
maybe half an hour to put up on the trellis/sunscreen thing already out
there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

1 - Serve lemonade and other citrus drinks. Citrus has an amazing
ability to increase heat tolerance. I can binge on lemonade a few days
before I know I will have to be out in the heat, and I feel noticably
cooler. try it.

2 - I have added a lubricant product to my home and auto A/C systems. It
will immediately drop a car A/C almost 10 degrees. The house was good
for 5 degrees. Since it's a heat pump, it made it warmer when I added it
during the winter. The cold-natured wife noticed it immediately, the
digital thermometer confirmed it. Product is called ICE-32.

3 - Set up a misting spray on your outside condenser fins. You can buy a
misting kit for cheap at Home Depot and attached it around the top of
the unit. Connect hose and turn it on low.

4 - Window units.

It's 100-deg today in Fort Worth.
I feel your pain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fleemo" wrote in message
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

Beer on ice and shirts against skins, gals are skins! Should make for an
interesting combination!

Oh and a fan or three!

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:
Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

Call a rental place and see if they can supply you
with a portable AC unit. The things come in all
different sizes and configurations. It could be
ducted through a window if need be.

http://www.kwikool.com/index.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you all for the most excellent suggestions, particularly the
"nude" one. That'd put a whole new spin on the party.

Would a couple of vats of dry ice scattered around the house really
help? It would add a "cool" vibe to the event.

When is the last time a real Pro check it out, 83f ?

Hey ransley, I've had at least a half-dozen pros check out my system.
Usually they scratch their head and say, "I don't know why it's not
cooling your house better" and then propose an entire new central heat
and air system in the neighborhood of $10,000, which is why we're
still limping along with it. I did replace the entire condenser which
did little to improve the cooling. Yes the coils are clean and
unobstructed. I also added several inches of insulation to the
attic. Still, on above-90-degree days, my house is a sauna.

RB, a novice askin' this question, but where/how does one add ICE-32
to the coolant system? That sounds worth a shot. And your suggestion
on the misting spray around the condenser fans got me thinking -- the
condenser is in full sun during the hottest part of the day. Might it
help to erect some kind of shade screen over it?

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fleemo" wrote

Ok, so the wife's having 30 people over on Saturday for an afternoon
shindig. Just so happens that Saturday will be the hottest day of the
year so far (over the century mark), and our wimpy air conditioner
barely chugs along to keep the house at 83 degrees. Any suggestions
for keeping my guests relatively cool short of replacing the entire AC
system?

Simple. 2 steps.

1. warn them if this isnt a work party where her rep is important and it's
all friends.
2. if possible, ask that they bring a few extra floor stand fans (if a work
party, invest in a few extras)

You really dont have time to replace AC or get an HVAC person out to check
the AC before Sat.

If this is her 'Boss and Office' and she needs to 'look good' for job
reasons, get a few floor fans and a possible added window unit or a portable
floor standing AC. Otherwise, just tell the friends to dress cool and ask
if any have a portable or a loaner floor fan for the event.

Heat tolerance is very relative to what you are used to. I dont bother with
AC at 83F. What I am bothered by, is people who think 70F is the right temp
so I normally bring a heavy sweater to 'shindigs' because otherwise I'll
freeze my butt off!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 5:31*pm, Fleemo wrote:
[...]

Yes - A shade over the condensor area would help things a little, just
don't block air flow. Misting the condensor coils also helps, but
beware of doing this on a long-term basis as someone pointed out
yesterday that the coils could get eroded or a buildup of junk if not
cleaned regularly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

First idea: Think "nude".

This is a great idea. All our guests are 300+ lbs, & over 66 years old.

I'll mention it.

Where can I send you a picture?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

RB wrote:

3 - Set up a misting spray on your outside condenser fins. You can
buy a misting kit for cheap at Home Depot and attached it around the
top of the unit. Connect hose and turn it on low.

Misting units should be used only temporarily. The junk in the water will
eventually clog the condenser fins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:49:10 -0500, RB wrote:

[snip]

It's 100-deg today in Fort Worth.
I feel your pain.

I'm in east Texas (about as far south as Fort Worth). The central AC
is running constantly during the day and not quite reaching the
setpoint. Currently, it's still reasonably comfortable with ceiling
fans. If it gets any hotter, I may stay in a bedroom with a window AC.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

In return, may I send you a picture of my PC vomitting?

On a more useful note. without being there, I can't begin to
diagnose your AC. The suggestion someone had of a portable
cooling unit from a rental place. Sounds first rate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Fleemo" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

First idea: Think "nude".

This is a great idea. All our guests are 300+ lbs, & over 66
years old.

I'll mention it.

Where can I send you a picture?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:

RB, a novice askin' this question, but where/how does one add ICE-32
to the coolant system? That sounds worth a shot.

I got it from the place I work, which is an automotive house.
The R22 treatment consist of adding the oil at 1-oz per ton of A/C. You
get an injector that looks like a big syringe, common A/C tool for oil
addition. You fill it up with oil to the proper mark, cap it, then
connect the hose to the low side. Run the unit and inject the oil. You
can literally see the temp drop as soon as it goes in, and it stays cool
er indefinitely.
Sounds like snake oil, but I can attest it has worked in every
system I've used it in. You won't find many HVAC techs that will
endorse it, because they have nver used it. But lately most automotive
HVAC suppliers have a similar product, so it may be more mainstream in
the residential HVAC now.
google ICE32. I see that the residential product is now called
ICE-22, which makes sense. Make sure that's what your unit uses.

http://www.ice22.com/benefits.html

And your suggestion
on the misting spray around the condenser fans got me thinking -- the
condenser is in full sun during the hottest part of the day. Might it
help to erect some kind of shade screen over it?

Can't hurt, but won't help much. Hard to do without reducing airflow.

Try the mister. It's cheap, easy, and it works. But don't use it all the
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:49:10 -0500, RB wrote:

[snip]

It's 100-deg today in Fort Worth.
I feel your pain.

I'm in east Texas (about as far south as Fort Worth). The central AC
is running constantly during the day and not quite reaching the
setpoint. Currently, it's still reasonably comfortable with ceiling
fans. If it gets any hotter, I may stay in a bedroom with a window AC.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

I may have missed part of this thread but it seems like a real good time for
a general AC tune-up, including coil cleaning, filter change. and
check/adjustment of refrigerant charge. If the unit is performing well, the
other thing to do is attempt to reduce heat gain with drapes, insulation,
caulking, and shading outside where possible. Awnings can help quite a bit.

Sunshine heat gain on the condenser amounts to very little since there is so
much airflow. Ambient air temperature and amount of air flow are the
controlling factors there. Misting can help but introduces potential
problems due to corrosion and/or mineral deposit build up. Although it
reduces the load on the compressor motor and thus saves a little
electricity, I think reducing the condensing temperature and pressure can
actually reduce the cooling because less pressure gives less refrigerant
flow through the metering orfice, if you have that type system.

Don Young