DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   To caulk or not to caulk around toilet base? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/280948-re-caulk-not-caulk-around-toilet-base.html)

Phisherman[_2_] June 24th 09 10:47 AM

To caulk or not to caulk around toilet base?

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:44:16 -0400, blueman wrote:

Is it considered a good idea to seal around the base of a toilet?
If so, what would you use? Silicon caulk? Plumbers putty?

The advantage to sealing is that it would keep water out and maybe
make the toilet base easier to clean around and be more sanitary. A
potential disadvantage is that you might not notice a leak around the
wax ring if the base is sealed. I was thinking of sealing all but a
small portion of the circumference as a compromise that would still
alert me to a leak but that would still mostly seal the space between
the toilet base and the tile and grout lines.

Tub and tile bathroom caulk. Seal the baseboard too. You never know
when the next toilet overflow will happen.