Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repainting Metal Garage Door

I'm sure I'll get a host of various replies but let's give it a shot.

Double Garage door
Metal
Suspect original factory paint from 10-20 years ago.
Faded and chalked.
No peeling, cracking, etc. (why I suspect original factory paint)
No bare exposed metal
In NC,
- temps exceed 100°
- temps 90°+ constantly July & Aug
Exposed to direct sun all afternoon till sunset

Obvious scrub with TSP, rinse well & let dry first.
I'm hearing latex everything including primer. More flexible than oils.
I'm hearing 100% acrylics for both the primer and paint.
"Some manufactures use modified resins that are cheaper and
inferior, commonly called latex primer. The best primers
use 100% acrylic resins and will cost more."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
I'm sure I'll get a host of various replies but let's give it a shot.

Double Garage door
Metal
Suspect original factory paint from 10-20 years ago.
Faded and chalked.
No peeling, cracking, etc. (why I suspect original factory paint)
No bare exposed metal
In NC,
- temps exceed 100°
- temps 90°+ constantly July & Aug
Exposed to direct sun all afternoon till sunset

Obvious scrub with TSP, rinse well & let dry first.
I'm hearing latex everything including primer. More flexible than oils.
I'm hearing 100% acrylics for both the primer and paint.
"Some manufactures use modified resins that are cheaper and
inferior, commonly called latex primer. The best primers
use 100% acrylic resins and will cost more."

Hi,
Too hot to paint at that temp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
I'm sure I'll get a host of various replies but let's give it a shot.

Double Garage door
Metal
Suspect original factory paint from 10-20 years ago.
Faded and chalked.
No peeling, cracking, etc. (why I suspect original factory paint)
No bare exposed metal
In NC,
- temps exceed 100°
- temps 90°+ constantly July & Aug
Exposed to direct sun all afternoon till sunset

Obvious scrub with TSP, rinse well & let dry first.
I'm hearing latex everything including primer. More flexible than oils.
I'm hearing 100% acrylics for both the primer and paint.
"Some manufactures use modified resins that are cheaper and
inferior, commonly called latex primer. The best primers
use 100% acrylic resins and will cost more."

Wait till fall, or at least invent some way to shade the door for 48
hours, so paint can actually dry from bottom layer to top, instead of
skim coating and staying mushy a long time.

If cost is no object, and door is not needed for security, best results
would be from taking the panels down, and hauling to a truck painter
with a booth and baking aisle. A pro painter that does industrial work
with a sprayer could do a better field application than any DIY with a
brush. Tedious process getting all the edges, and not having door stick
to the trim.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 11:22*pm, Red Green wrote:
I'm sure I'll get a host of various replies but let's give it a shot.

Double Garage door
Metal
Suspect original factory paint from 10-20 years ago.
Faded and chalked.
No peeling, cracking, etc. (why I suspect original factory paint)
No bare exposed metal
In NC, * * * * *
* * * * - temps exceed 100°
* * * * - temps 90°+ constantly July & Aug
Exposed to direct sun all afternoon till sunset

Obvious scrub with TSP, rinse well & let dry first.
I'm hearing latex everything including primer. More flexible than oils.
I'm hearing 100% acrylics for both the primer and paint.
* * * * "Some manufactures use modified resins that are cheaper and
* * * * *inferior, commonly called latex primer. The best primers
* * * * *use 100% acrylic resins and will cost more."

Latex - acrylic, both water base and basicly the same compared to
oils, its to hot now to make it last. Never paint a hot or soon to be
sun baked area especialy with water based products. Wait till under 85
and paint after sun passes, so you cool the door with water and spray
it in 10 minutes but have it prepped and set up first. Chalk has to be
removed and use a primer that bonds to chalk. Go to a real paint store
like Benny moore or Sherwin willys and use what they tell you to use
and do what they say, even talking to a manufacturer tech is good to
do. Do it right it should last and not peel, do it now in 100f in sun,
with a maybe 120-150f surface and it will be triple the work in 2-5
years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Red Green wrote:
I'm sure I'll get a host of various replies but let's give it a shot.

Double Garage door
Metal
Suspect original factory paint from 10-20 years ago.
Faded and chalked.
No peeling, cracking, etc. (why I suspect original factory paint)
No bare exposed metal
In NC,
- temps exceed 100°
- temps 90°+ constantly July & Aug
Exposed to direct sun all afternoon till sunset

Obvious scrub with TSP, rinse well & let dry first.
I'm hearing latex everything including primer. More flexible than
oils. I'm hearing 100% acrylics for both the primer and paint.
"Some manufactures use modified resins that are cheaper and
inferior, commonly called latex primer. The best primers
use 100% acrylic resins and will cost more."

I prefer oil based enamels - like your car is painted with. Before painting,
scrape then wet sand out the peeled edges and cracks or they will telegraph
through the finished surface. To get a good job you need to use automobile
painting preparation, methods and paints. If a crummy finish is OK then use
whatever you want. Yes, don't work or paint hot metal, shade it or wait till
it is cooler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 11:09*am, "EXT" wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

We painted our garage door when we re-painted the rest of the house.
We used latex paint. It has held up and there were no problems. We
are in Florida and the house faces west. We painted in early
spring. I agree that this time of year is too hot to paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C343D59DC40RedGreen@
216.168.3.70:

I'm sure I'll get a host of various replies but let's give it a shot.

Double Garage door
Metal
Suspect original factory paint from 10-20 years ago.
Faded and chalked.
No peeling, cracking, etc. (why I suspect original factory paint)
No bare exposed metal
In NC,
- temps exceed 100°
- temps 90°+ constantly July & Aug
Exposed to direct sun all afternoon till sunset

Obvious scrub with TSP, rinse well & let dry first.
I'm hearing latex everything including primer. More flexible than oils.
I'm hearing 100% acrylics for both the primer and paint.
"Some manufactures use modified resins that are cheaper and
inferior, commonly called latex primer. The best primers
use 100% acrylic resins and will cost more."

Thanks to those who responded up to now.

I agree it's too hot now but I told these damn people not to wait until
these times and now they want to do it. They'll get the I told you so and
not to expect it to last another 10 years. Best I can do is to do it
early in the morning and leave the door up till evening. Tell them if
they want it textured to do some sanding or something in the garage that
day.

Main input I was looking for was the type of paint and primer but
foresight I may not be aware of is always welcome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:00*pm, Red Green wrote:

Main input I was looking for was the type of paint and primer but
foresight I may not be aware of is always welcome.

You could use PPG's DP 40 primer, that **** is impervious to
practically everything.

Imron topcoat and you're covered for nuclear summer and/or winter,
brake fluid spills, etc.
-----

- gpsman