Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman Powermate low voltage

On Jun 23, 12:02*pm, Pumbaa wrote:
Hello,
Forgive me if this post is Off Topic, I cannot seem to find any sort
of generator newsgroup, I posted this on alt.rv but I have not had any

I have a Coleman Powermate 1850 MegaPulse Generator Model PM0401853
which I am trying to help my father-in-law fix.
Unfortunatley I don't have any sort of tachometer to check the speed
but it starts easy and sounds right and I really don't feel that
there
is anything wrong with the gas motor itself.

So, I assume that my problem is in the generator side of things, it
will only give me about 90 Volts @ 60HZ. *Because the Hz is right I
assume that the RPM's are correct, so why am I only getting 90 Volts?

If I manually overspeed the motor (and it really sounds like it is
running too fast when I do this) I can get 120 Volts BUT the
frequency
is about 70 Hz (which again leads me to beleive that the engine speed
is too fast). *This is frustrating because if I had a bad diode or a
bad winding I would think it would not work at all. *But I cannot
think of a reason that I would get low voltage at (what I assume to
be) the correct RPM.

Some research on the internet let me to un-solder the diodes on the
rotor and according to my voltmeter they are okay. *What I need to
know is what Ohm readings I should get on the rotor windings as well
as on the different windings in the stator. *Also, according to my
voltmeter the capacitor is okay.
The only manual I can find for this generator on the internet is the
owners manual. *Anyone with a techical manual for this generator
perhaps you can help out...

Thanks in advance

** Follow UP** the folks at Powermate think it is a diode problem
(unless I am using my voltmeter wrong, I already checked them).

Try alt.energy.homepower many there know generators, but if its
60hz, rpm is probably correct at 3600.

Coleman Powermate low voltage Chip C Home Repair 1 June 23rd 09 09:50 PM
Coleman Powermate low voltage HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 1 June 23rd 09 09:41 PM
Coleman Powermate low voltage Pumbaa Home Repair 0 June 23rd 09 09:40 PM
Coleman Powermate amdx Home Repair 7 June 9th 08 11:20 PM
Any experience with Coleman Powermate cordless tools? Dave Woodworking 4 January 8th 05 09:57 PM